MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Dec 26, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #1,832 of 4,813
  The Ether pads are firmer.

yes.  play at loud but not insane levels.

So I've been spending a LOT of time with my HE X tonight, like 7 hours apparently 

an while I like the... presentation, I don't like the lack of aggression an distortion in the mids. It really does sound... fuzzy compared to the HE 4, while the sound stage is deeper, wider an a little more spacious, the mid range fuzz kinda kills those improvements imo 

so how does the Ether an Ether C compare 

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #1,833 of 4,813
I have to say I've been waiting for people to come to that conclusion about the X, I was not a fan when I heard it.  It seemed odd to position an open back as made for portable use, where a closed headphone obviously has a huge advantage.  That sent flags up to begin with that this wasn't a contender for home use, but I agree, the mids are not clear and clean, kind of gritty and edgy. 

Both ETHERs have a more transparent mids.  If you are EDM oriented you may prefer the C, if you're more into acoustic and want a warmer tone but less sub bass go open.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 27, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #1,834 of 4,813
  So I've been spending a LOT of time with my HE X tonight, like 7 hours apparently 

an while I like the... presentation, I don't like the lack of aggression an distortion in the mids. It really does sound... fuzzy compared to the HE 4, while the sound stage is deeper, wider an a little more spacious, the mid range fuzz kinda kills those improvements imo 

so how does the Ether an Ether C compare 

I think you should give it more time to burn in BUT after at least 200 hours of burn in on my Ether C I think I can say there's NO distortion on the mids.........also I really don't get an open backed can with portable features.........Ether C you can sit on a plane at max volume and your neighbor won't hear anything. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #1,835 of 4,813
I have the Ether C for 5 days now. Each day spending around 5 - 6 hours listening on average. Last night I did a quick comparison between C and HD800. So far the most obvious difference is in the sub bass. The C can extend really low especially on music with lots of bass detail (e.g. Daft Punk). I can feel the thump in my chest. This headphone resolves sub bass details with authority and grit. 

However, that is the only thing so far I find the Ether C superior over the HD800. The overall staging in HD800 like the width, depth and instrument separation is well defined compared to Ether C. HD800 gives a better perception of a 3D space than the C. IMO micro details are also resolved better by HD800. For music which has a lot of data in the upper treble area (8Khz and above) like some R.E.M. songs the HD800 sounds very clear and appear more detailed than the C.

I notice that reverbs on cymbal crashes is very quick to none existent on C. As if when you hit the cymbal it stops very quicky while in HD800 I can hear the reverb fade in the background naturally. I will do more comparison when the C had more time to burn in my head. :D

I used Hugo as the DAC/amp for the comparison.

If you ever want to sell it. PM me. :)

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #1,836 of 4,813
This headphone is not like other headphones because of the v-planar driver processing, it does improve as it burns in and it takes 100-200 hours. By design.

That said, will it ever outdo the soundstage of the open headphone that is generally perceived as having the biggest soundstage? Probably not for most people! But it obviously does other things an open can't. The fact that one can compare it to the soundstage of open TOTL cans at all is what I was shooting for in the design.

Damn it!  I'm not going to be able to resist much longer.  Might have to get myself a pair for my birthday. 

And I would say that the review a few posts back probably won't change dramatically, the 800 is great at certain things and the review highlights those things.   And anything that is closed in the same paragraph, let alone sentence, is impressive.

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #1,837 of 4,813
  Damn it!  I'm not going to be able to resist much longer.  Might have to get myself a pair for my birthday. 

And I would say that the review a few posts back probably won't change dramatically, the 800 is great at certain things and the review highlights those things.   And anything that is closed in the same paragraph, let alone sentence, is impressive.

Come to the dark side.

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #1,839 of 4,813
Dec 27, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #1,841 of 4,813
  I have to say I've been waiting for people to come to that conclusion about the X, I was not a fan when I heard it.  It seemed odd to position an open back as made for portable use, where a closed headphone obviously has a huge advantage.  That sent flags up to begin with that this wasn't a contender for home use, but I agree, the mids are not clear and clean, kind of gritty and edgy. 

Both ETHERs have a more transparent mids.  If you are EDM oriented you may prefer the C, if you're more into acoustic and want a warmer tone but less sub bass go open.

Dan we are anxiously waiting on any future Mr. Speakers "portable" model.  I guess i can just only dream!!!! Oppo PM-3 was a good attempt but I think you can do better 
wink_face.gif

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #1,842 of 4,813
Dan we are anxiously waiting on any future Mr. Speakers "portable" model.  I guess i can just only dream!!!! Oppo PM-3 was a good attempt but I think you can do better 
wink_face.gif

Ether C is the ultimate portable already

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #1,843 of 4,813

well I'll just say this Dan, I'd love to hear the Ether C if you have a preproduction unit that would be awesome. I'm getting the HE X in Febuary again through another tour, of course I'd imagine your as busy as ever! So I ca understand if there's not one avaliable 

Though I wouldn't say the mids on the HE X are Edgy, the HE 4 has Edgy Mids, but Gritty or even lumpy is a great way to put it describe the HE X in my book. it has the same texture to my ears as... a Sauce with raw flour has on my tounge, if you guys like to cook you may know that if you throw flour an butter into a hot liquid you'll... get lumps, so you'll have a some what lumpy sauce.. tastes good, has a good mouth feel [kinda] but you just can get past those lumpy bits of flour, they taste good but they take away from the sauce as a whole every time one runs across your tounge

an chances are the Ether C would suit me better, I prefer a VERY DRY bass, I like the HE 4 bass, quick, taut, powerful a with very little decay to it 

The HE X I have now an the LCD 2 Fazor I tried last year had... a heavy bottom end but it lacked in overall clarity an texture/speed 

I out in for some time off in March so I'm hoping to fly out to Can Jam this year, an start to hear the other TOTL headphones out there, still though the Ether C [with a balanced DUM cable] is positioned near the top of my list atm

I will say though, that out of my LG V10 the HE X sounds REALLY awesome, when you pair it with a some what low end source the HE X really does wonders, though out of a more transparent source, it starts to be a little lack luster 

Oh an I'd imagine that your Ether C is built a little better than the HE X I'm not crazy about the HE X's plastic arms :/ 

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #1,845 of 4,813
Is there still a wait time for these? Or did production already met the initial demand?
I'm still jumping at the idea of getting them... or not... LOL. Just curious...

Is the warranty transferable in case I decide to sell them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back