MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Oct 29, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #1,021 of 4,813
It's official, we'll begin shipping Monday.  Boxes are printed, laminated and being cut tomorrow.  So tomorrow people will begin to see tracking notices but this is us getting ready to pack and ship a lot of units once the boxes arrive Monday.  Expect tracking to update starting Tuesday after 6 PM Pacific.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 29, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #1,023 of 4,813
    Thank you Dan...I certainly did not expect such a prompt response...it certainly makes sense...and glad to know that covering those ports simply "robs Peter to pay Paul"...lol...now, if anyone has ideas regarding the best driver break-in procedure/signal input...assuming that the headphones would be played at or just a tad louder than comfortable listening levels...and wondering with final break-in what sonic differences would/should occur in the Ether C's...?...

During the break-in period (up to 100 hours) you can listen to all those secret pleasures you'd never admit to - Britney Spears, Justin Beever  etc. After all you're not really listening - it's just breaking in the drivers.
Then go genre wild - The Ring Cycle, Trypykon, Kraftwerk, Aesop Rock, Beatles, Jimmy Smith...

Much better than rushing through some white, brownian, azure and pink noise soaking.
Why miss hearing the point when things fell into place by rushing? You can never tell your kids about the day it happened if you miss it :)

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #1,024 of 4,813

During the break-in period (up to 100 hours) you can listen to all those secret pleasures you'd never admit to - Britney Spears, Justin Beever  etc. After all you're not really listening - it's just breaking in the drivers...

I would rather set fire to my genitalia than subject my Ether C to such sonic abominations
wink_face.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #1,027 of 4,813
Pictures or it didn't… oops, ahhh, ahem. I would never listen to such things. Or Abba. Or Adam Ant. As far as anyone knows…

I grew up in the 70s, so a little bit of ABBA has found its way onto my playlist. I can even survive Adam Ant. Justin Bieber I can't deal with at all.

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #1,028 of 4,813
We are near in age then. Wife loves Abba, and was denied an Adam Ant concert as a teen. We relived it last year. Horrible sound and mixing, but great fun.

Dan's tuning always sounds closer to live music to me than many headphones. They are articulate, as are many high end headphones. Dan's headphones bring a musicality (I may have just made up a word there) that some lack. I'm really hoping the Ether C continues this, as I'm finding I really need my best headphones to be closed.

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #1,029 of 4,813

Dan's tuning always sounds closer to live music to me than many headphones. They are articulate, as are many high end headphones. Dan's headphones bring a musicality (I may have just made up a word there) that some lack. I'm really hoping the Ether C continues this, as I'm finding I really need my best headphones to be closed.

I am very pleased with my Ether C. It is kinda like a planar version of the modded HD800. Neutral, balanced, detailed, enjoyable. You could never confuse it with an Audeze HP, for example. And it does the extremes better than the HD800 IMHO. I also am very happy with the comfort and isolation, and the 10' DUM cable is well built and very convenient.

My modded HE6 does a little more in terms of SQ, but that is a trade I am OK with to get the extra comfort and isolation.

I am not an Audeze fan, so the XC was never an option for me. I have been waiting for a high end, neutral + balanced closed planar for a while - the Ether C ticks all those boxes for me.

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #1,030 of 4,813

I am very pleased with my Ether C. It is kinda like a planar version of the modded HD800. Neutral, balanced, detailed, enjoyable. You could never confuse it with an Audeze HP, for example. And it does the extremes better than the HD800 IMHO. I also am very happy with the comfort and isolation, and the 10' DUM cable is well built and very convenient.

My modded HE6 does a little more in terms of SQ, but that is a trade I am OK with to get the extra comfort and isolation.

I am not an Audeze fan, so the XC was never an option for me. I have been waiting for a high end, neutral + balanced closed planar for a while - the Ether C ticks all those boxes for me.

Nice.  The LCD3 was my first foray into really high end headphones.  I loved the sound but sometimes it was a little much.  I also own a Beyer T1.  The Ether C sits (forgive the general comparison) somewhere midway in the spectrum between my T1 and the LCD3.  Thankfully, the comfort spectrum is not midway.  Extremely comfortable cans.  

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #1,031 of 4,813
Got my Ether-C in the old box! First impressions... build quality is great, as I expected given my experience with the Ether. Weight is a little more, obviously because of the cup, but still way less than my other headphones. After a few hours listening happily at work I took it home and conducted some quick-and-dirty shootouts using a number of reference tracks...

1. Ether-C vs Alpha Prime: (Both using Norne Zoetic cables). I am on record as loving the Alpha Prime. It's a neutral-ish headphone with great dynamics that's fun to listen to. However, it lacks a little bit of detail and is a fussy fit; it has to be rotated just right to get it to clamp evenly (and no, bending the headband never did help). Well, the Ether-C also has those sonic advantages but is noticeably more clear and detailed. Fit is perfect, basically just drop it on your head, adjust the slider (once), and it becomes invisible. Definitely a win for the Ether-C, but not a big win.

2. Ether-C vs LCD-XC: (Ether-C using Norne Zoetic, the LCD-XC using Norne Vanquish.) Yeah, the LCD-XC has issues with weight but with the suspension mod I find it not to be a big issue. Sonically the LCD-XC is extremely detailed and a bit treble-heavy. It's an outstanding headphone but I can't really call it "fun", at least for my tastes, since it can be a bit antiseptic and fatiguing. With the Ether-C, you also get great detail but without any grainy character, and a more realistic tonal balance that's less trebley. Unless your tastes run towards the HD800 end of the spectrum, I believe the Ether-C is the solid winner here. (It still remains a puzzle to me why Audeze chose to make the X family sound so different from the 2/3... yeah, variety is great, but at least advertise the sonic differences so people can make an informed choice without having to browse forum threads.)

3. Ether-C vs Ether: (Both using Norne Zoetic cables). Ahh, sibling rivalry. Very similar sonically, except that while the Ether-C is extremely clear and intimate, the Ether takes that even a step further into the realm of the absolutely ******* insane. There is no non-electrostatic headphone in the world that provides as crystalline and transparent an experience as the Ether, it really does sound like it's wired into your brain. (And I'm about ready to admit it may even match the Stax SR-009 in that regard.) So I'd give the nod to the Ether. However, we are talking apples and oranges since the Ether is open. To me, the Ether-C is indeed the best closed headphone in the world.

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #1,033 of 4,813
  Got my Ether-C in the old box! First impressions... build quality is great, as I expected given my experience with the Ether. Weight is a little more, obviously because of the cup, but still way less than my other headphones. After a few hours listening happily at work I took it home and conducted some quick-and-dirty shootouts using a number of reference tracks...

1. Ether-C vs Alpha Prime: (Both using Norne Zoetic cables). I am on record as loving the Alpha Prime. It's a neutral-ish headphone with great dynamics that's fun to listen to. However, it lacks a little bit of detail and is a fussy fit; it has to be rotated just right to get it to clamp evenly (and no, bending the headband never did help). Well, the Ether-C also has those sonic advantages but is noticeably more clear and detailed. Fit is perfect, basically just drop it on your head, adjust the slider (once), and it becomes invisible. Definitely a win for the Ether-C, but not a big win.

2. Ether-C vs LCD-XC: (Ether-C using Norne Zoetic, the LCD-XC using Norne Vanquish.) Yeah, the LCD-XC has issues with weight but with the suspension mod I find it not to be a big issue. Sonically the LCD-XC is extremely detailed and a bit treble-heavy. It's an outstanding headphone but I can't really call it "fun", at least for my tastes, since it can be a bit antiseptic and fatiguing. With the Ether-C, you also get great detail but without any grainy character, and a more realistic tonal balance that's less trebley. Unless your tastes run towards the HD800 end of the spectrum, I believe the Ether-C is the solid winner here. (It still remains a puzzle to me why Audeze chose to make the X family sound so different from the 2/3... yeah, variety is great, but at least advertise the sonic differences so people can make an informed choice without having to browse forum threads.)

3. Ether-C vs Ether: (Both using Norne Zoetic cables). Ahh, sibling rivalry. Very similar sonically, except that while the Ether-C is extremely clear and intimate, the Ether takes that even a step further into the realm of the absolutely ******* insane. There is no non-electrostatic headphone in the world that provides as crystalline and transparent an experience as the Ether, it really does sound like it's wired into your brain. (And I'm about ready to admit it may even match the Stax SR-009 in that regard.) So I'd give the nod to the Ether. However, we are talking apples and oranges since the Ether is open. To me, the Ether-C is indeed the best closed headphone in the world.

Thank you for your review. How is the bass impact of Ether-C comparing to the LCDs?

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #1,034 of 4,813
My holiday draws to a close, which can only mean Monday is close - Ether C and Chord Mojo coming that day... Not a bad consolation at all! Ether C Vs Ether comparison will happen here also, as well as a closed can shootout with the FAD Pandora Hope VI, MHP1000 and T5p. Can't wait. Will throw a Geek Out V2 Vs Mojo comparo into the mix too.

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #1,035 of 4,813

I grew up in the 70s, so a little bit of ABBA has found its way onto my playlist. I can even survive Adam Ant. Justin Bieber I can't deal with at all.

We have to be close in age too Tony so what about Silver Convention? 
tongue.gif
 ha ha ha

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back