MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Oct 30, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #1,036 of 4,813
  Got my Ether-C in the old box! First impressions... build quality is great, as I expected given my experience with the Ether. Weight is a little more, obviously because of the cup, but still way less than my other headphones. After a few hours listening happily at work I took it home and conducted some quick-and-dirty shootouts using a number of reference tracks...

1. Ether-C vs Alpha Prime: (Both using Norne Zoetic cables). I am on record as loving the Alpha Prime. It's a neutral-ish headphone with great dynamics that's fun to listen to. However, it lacks a little bit of detail and is a fussy fit; it has to be rotated just right to get it to clamp evenly (and no, bending the headband never did help). Well, the Ether-C also has those sonic advantages but is noticeably more clear and detailed. Fit is perfect, basically just drop it on your head, adjust the slider (once), and it becomes invisible. Definitely a win for the Ether-C, but not a big win.

2. Ether-C vs LCD-XC: (Ether-C using Norne Zoetic, the LCD-XC using Norne Vanquish.) Yeah, the LCD-XC has issues with weight but with the suspension mod I find it not to be a big issue. Sonically the LCD-XC is extremely detailed and a bit treble-heavy. It's an outstanding headphone but I can't really call it "fun", at least for my tastes, since it can be a bit antiseptic and fatiguing. With the Ether-C, you also get great detail but without any grainy character, and a more realistic tonal balance that's less trebley. Unless your tastes run towards the HD800 end of the spectrum, I believe the Ether-C is the solid winner here. (It still remains a puzzle to me why Audeze chose to make the X family sound so different from the 2/3... yeah, variety is great, but at least advertise the sonic differences so people can make an informed choice without having to browse forum threads.)

3. Ether-C vs Ether: (Both using Norne Zoetic cables). Ahh, sibling rivalry. Very similar sonically, except that while the Ether-C is extremely clear and intimate, the Ether takes that even a step further into the realm of the absolutely ******* insane. There is no non-electrostatic headphone in the world that provides as crystalline and transparent an experience as the Ether, it really does sound like it's wired into your brain. (And I'm about ready to admit it may even match the Stax SR-009 in that regard.) So I'd give the nod to the Ether. However, we are talking apples and oranges since the Ether is open. To me, the Ether-C is indeed the best closed headphone in the world.

Thanks for that detailed write up.   So.... if you had to have one or the other - Ether vs Ether C - which would you prefer?   There's a lot of excitement around the 'C' because a lot of people need closed cans.   I live alone so that's not important to me, and I've  always been more of an 'open' can kinda guy.    So I'm confused here.  

Oct 30, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #1,037 of 4,813
While I am waiting for my ETHER C to ship, really enjoying my Primes. They are an amazingly good headphone, so I am anxious to see how the ETHER can better them.

Also looks like I will be the first to pair them with the Geek Pulse.

EDIT: Just got my tracking number!

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #1,038 of 4,813
BOXES ARRIVED EARLY TODAY AND WE ARE SHIPPING!

Not that I'm excited or anything.  Tracking will start to update by 6PM on the first orders going out.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 30, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #1,039 of 4,813
  @Stereolab42, regards to Ether-C vs Ether, do you happen to test out live album/songs? My own use of Ether, live songs sounds live. I'm curious about Ether-C.

Yes, Alice In Chains Unplugged. Sounds spectacular.

Thank you for your review. How is the bass impact of Ether-C comparing to the LCDs?

Bass is great on the Ether-C, similar to the LCD family and 1-2 db hotter than the Ether (although the Ether can be easily EQ'd up).

Thanks for that detailed write up.   So.... if you had to have one or the other - Ether vs Ether C - which would you prefer?   There's a lot of excitement around the 'C' because a lot of people need closed cans.   I live alone so that's not important to me, and I've  always been more of an 'open' can kinda guy.    So I'm confused here.  

If your environment can tolerate open, and you can only pick one, then I'd go for the Ether because of its slightly superior transparency and intimacy. As I mentioned it's a little cooler in the bass frequencies but I'm always running EQ through my PC so that's not a problem for me.

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #1,040 of 4,813

Yes, Alice In Chains Unplugged. Sounds spectacular.

Bass is great on the Ether-C, similar to the LCD family and 1-2 db hotter than the Ether (although the Ether can be easily EQ'd up).

Love that album.

Out of curiosity, which member of the LCD family? I loved the bass on the LCD-2 (never owned one because it is open) but was underwhelmed by the LCD-XC I used to own.

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #1,041 of 4,813
Got my 'order completed' email! Thanks Dan! My box ETHER C is on its way!!!!

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #1,042 of 4,813
We will be working late and a lot of boxes will miss today's shipping cutoff, just FYI.  If you've received a notice and it doesn't update tracking today it will by 6PM Monday.  Not enough time in the day...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,043 of 4,813
Won't be long now. WooHoo.

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #1,044 of 4,813
  BOXES ARRIVED EARLY TODAY AND WE ARE SHIPPING!

Not that I'm excited or anything.  Tracking will start to update by 6PM on the first orders going out.

Sweet! I haven't gotten an e-mail though so I guess I'll have to wait til Monday
frown.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #1,045 of 4,813

Sweet! I haven't gotten an e-mail though so I guess I'll have to wait til Monday
frown.gif

I hope by Monday night we'll be up to around order 6080, or orders placed before Oct 4.  I'm not quite positive that's where we'll end up, but just to give an idea.  We're moving pretty fast at this point...

Please remember the headphones will benefit from about 100-200 hours of use before they'll be mostly burned in.  

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #1,046 of 4,813
  Love that album.

Out of curiosity, which member of the LCD family? I loved the bass on the LCD-2 (never owned one because it is open) but was underwhelmed by the LCD-XC I used to own.

XC and 3F. I find the bass on the XC to be perfectly fine. The 3F of course has great bass and slam for an open headphone, which is why I love it for metal music.

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #1,047 of 4,813

I hope by Monday night we'll be up to around order 6080, or orders placed before Oct 4.  I'm not quite positive that's where we'll end up, but just to give an idea.  We're moving pretty fast at this point...

Please remember the headphones will benefit from about 100-200 hours of use before they'll be mostly burned in.  

I know you are busy, but to other folks, what differences have you heard after burn-in?

Oct 30, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #1,048 of 4,813

Getting closer! I am 6089..... 
beerchug.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 30, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #1,049 of 4,813
  I know you are busy, but to other folks, what differences have you heard after burn-in?

I've got well over 100 hours on my Ether-C now and all I know is I'm enjoying them more every day..

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #1,050 of 4,813
Ok... I think I'm going to start selling some of the watches I don't use and get this already! I can't stand looking at the pictures on Dan's website and getting that itch to click "Add to Cart"!!! The only thing stopping me is that I just bought a car!! LOL!

Arrrghhh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back