MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Oct 28, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #1,007 of 4,813
I am also very impressed how good the ETHER C sound through the GMB and the Liquid Crimson. The bass is nice and tight, with lots of slam, without impacting upon the mids. The mids are smooth and textured and the highs are just right and no annoying, fatiguing sybilance. The best thing is how expansive and holographic the soundstage is. This amp is very nice, and the stock Gold Lion tubes does a great job. I will roll another tube sometime, but for now I am happy the way it sounds right now.

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #1,008 of 4,813
I am also very impressed how good the ETHER C sound through the GMB and the Liquid Crimson. The bass is nice and tight, with lots of slam, without impacting upon the mids. The mids are smooth and textured and the highs are just right and no annoying, fatiguing sybilance. The best thing is how expansive and holographic the soundstage is. This amp is very nice, and the stock Gold Lion tubes does a great job. I will roll another tube sometime, but for now I am happy the way it sounds right now.

Running my Ether C from a Simaudio 230HAD right now. Ditto for everything you have posted above. SQ is excellent - a very good gear match.

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #1,009 of 4,813
I will soon have the Ether C and Mojo, if you can wait until next week or so I can advise.

Very, very interested in your thoughts on the EC, the Mojo, and how they play together!!

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #1,010 of 4,813
  Hello All...Sorry to break the train of thought, and NO, I am not gloating because I elected to eschew the "Ether C" box, such that upon my return from being out of town my Ether C shipment was awaiting me last Friday...however, in order to bring out to best advantage their mids/lows, I have been breaking them in with a Reference Recording of Felix Hell playing pipe organ, (in order to feed the cans a wide frequency range),...HOWEVER, I am curious as to whether or not there is a better music genre with which to break in drivers...(I have also been feeding them with progressive metal via Pandora),...and just wondering if musical genres with perhaps more "punch" despite somewhat more limited frequency range might actually be more effective/efficient at driver break-in...

Anyone care to offer opinions/experiences...?...

By the way, they DO sound amazing out of the box...(Ether box...  :)  ...), however, after being relatively experienced with both the Sennheiser HD-650's and the Audeze LCD-2.2 pre-fazors, the Ether C's do sound just a touch less thick, warm and syrupy way down below, however, they DO have a very considerable "punch" despite the relatively lighter bottom end...I am just hoping that with continued break-in, (currently only around 40-50 hours), the Ether C's will bridge that gap a bit more closely...reaching that "best of both worlds" point...

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #1,011 of 4,813
I specifically don't want dark/syrupy LCD2.2c/HD650 sound, so I hope they don't move very far towards bridging that gap!

I finally also elected to have mine sent, they'll be with me Monday along with my Mojo.

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #1,012 of 4,813
I need to stay away from this thread at the moment and enjoy my ETHER.
darthsmile.gif
 I'm trying hard to tell myself I don't need ETHER-C. 

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #1,013 of 4,813
We are still awaiting the date on the boxes but I should know for sure tomorrow. In the meantime we've been building a lot of headphones so many will be going out as soon as the boxes arrive. I am sorry for the delay so I wanted to say thanks for being good sports.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 29, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #1,014 of 4,813
 To those of you who have already encountered/owned the Ether C...

My Ether C's have slightly elongated holes, one each on both the right and left ear cups, apparently 180 degrees/directly opposite the headphone cable input plugs, on that same part of the headphone cup, between the headphone ear-pads and the carbon fiber end plates...I am assuming that this is part of the headphone design, however, it almost appears as if an extra set of unnecessary headphone shell wire ports was created...and when I cover these orifices, the bass sounds just a touch louder/deeper(?)...

Would other owners of Ether C's please confirm that these small elongated "ports" exist on their Ether C's as well, as I am genuinely curious...are these tuning ports?...

Thank you.

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #1,015 of 4,813
 To those of you who have already encountered/owned the Ether C...

My Ether C's have slightly elongated holes, one each on both the right and left ear cups, apparently 180 degrees/directly opposite the headphone cable input plugs, on that same part of the headphone cup, between the headphone ear-pads and the carbon fiber end plates...I am assuming that this is part of the headphone design, however, it almost appears as if an extra set of unnecessary headphone shell wire ports was created...and when I cover these orifices, the bass sounds just a touch louder/deeper(?)...

Would other owners of Ether C's please confirm that these small elongated "ports" exist on their Ether C's as well, as I am genuinely curious...are these tuning ports?...

Thank you.

That is a tuning port. If you plug it you'll warm up the upper bass but whack output below 60Hz. You are hearing the overtones become more prominent, and especially at lower volumes that may sound like more bass, but it's not...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 29, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #1,016 of 4,813
  Thank you Dan...I certainly did not expect such a prompt response...it certainly makes sense...and glad to know that covering those ports simply "robs Peter to pay Paul"...lol...now, if anyone has ideas regarding the best driver break-in procedure/signal input...assuming that the headphones would be played at or just a tad louder than comfortable listening levels...and wondering with final break-in what sonic differences would/should occur in the Ether C's...?...

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #1,017 of 4,813
    Thank you Dan...I certainly did not expect such a prompt response...it certainly makes sense...and glad to know that covering those ports simply "robs Peter to pay Paul"...lol...now, if anyone has ideas regarding the best driver break-in procedure/signal input...assuming that the headphones would be played at or just a tad louder than comfortable listening levels...and wondering with final break-in what sonic differences would/should occur in the Ether C's...?...

I'm not sure what the best procedure or music should be for break-in, but I generally put on a diverse playlist and include a white noise and brown noise track to try to hit all the frequencies. No idea if this is the best way to go (or if it even matters), but it made sense in my mind, and nothing has caught fire or anything yet, so I feel pretty good about it so far. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back