MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Aug 18, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #256 of 4,813

Yes, you do!  Preferably before March 19th and 20th of next year.

So Warren, are those the days for the next SoCal CanJam? Need to plan it ahead of time since I will bring the wife this time and probably spend a week in sunny SoCal.

Well, we haven't made the formal announcement yet... but if you need to make plans regarding travel, family, etc., I feel perfectly comfortable having you do so for those dates.  
smile.gif

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #257 of 4,813

I haven't had a ton of time with the Ether and I haven't listened to them back to back so take this with a grain of salt:  I think imaging is about the same and I think the soundstage on the open is bigger (because it's open!).

That said, the soundstage on the C is probably the biggest soundstage I've heard on a closed can.  Dan says that the soundstage on the closed one is actually bigger, but it's hard to tell unless you're in a silent room.  He says that in a loud room, the isolation cues your brain that you're listening to a closed can and so you perceive it to be smaller than it actually is.  Without that external cue, you can tell that the soundstage is bigger.  Note:  you still won't have the "air" of an open can either way.  That's part of the tradeoff of going closed tho.

Again, they're very close in many ways.  Much closer than you might think from all the impressions bouncing around.

How does the concept of "air" differ from the concept of "soundstage"?

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #258 of 4,813

air would be the upper treble region (14 kHz+). soundstage is the perceived spatial dimensions of where the sound is coming from. do note that soundstage is extremely dependent on the source files recorded depth cues. open headphones & earcup size & damping also often have an effect on perceived soundstage between various headphones

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #259 of 4,813

The way I use those terms, air refers to the sense of openness you get from an open can -- the ambient noises coming in from around you, even in a quiet room, add to the illusion that the sounds are coming from outside where the earcups are located (soundstage).

As it turns out, you don't need those ambient cues to hear the sound as coming from outside your earcups.  The Ether C gives a very large soundstage without giving you that sense of openness and "air".  It was a weird concept for me to wrap my head around.

And apologies if I'm using the term "air" incorrectly.  I need to better familiarize myself with the glossary!

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #260 of 4,813

The way I use those terms, air refers to the sense of openness you get from an open can -- the ambient noises coming in from around you, even in a quiet room, add to the illusion that the sounds are coming from outside where the earcups are located (soundstage).

As it turns out, you don't need those ambient cues to hear the sound as coming from outside your earcups.  The Ether C gives a very large soundstage without giving you that sense of openness and "air".  It was a weird concept for me to wrap my head around.

And apologies if I'm using the term "air" incorrectly.  I need to better familiarize myself with the glossary!

From the Head-Fi Glossary of terms found here: http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Airy - Spacious. Open. Instruments sound like they are surrounded by a large reflective space full of air. Good reproduction of high frequency reflections. High frequency response extends to 15 or 20 kHz.

Soundstage - The area between two speakers that appears to the listener to be occupied by sonic images. Like a real stage, a soundstage should have width, depth, and height.

cheers
beerchug.gif

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #261 of 4,813
air would be the upper treble region (14 kHz+). soundstage is the perceived spatial dimensions of where the sound is coming from. do note that soundstage is extremely dependent on the source files recorded depth cues. open headphones & earcup size & damping also often have an effect on perceived soundstage between various headphones

At 56, my hearing tapers off at about 13K. So no "air" for me?

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #262 of 4,813

Actually, "air" is what occupies the skulls of many audiophools..

Air is what musicians breathe.

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #264 of 4,813
What else can explain why we keep spending money and time always looking for better?  (maybe human nature)

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #267 of 4,813
  What else can explain why we keep spending money and time always looking for better?  (maybe human nature)

To air is human ?

(I wont quit my day job)

Aug 19, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #268 of 4,813
Dear oil price,please come up just a wee bit so that works can pick up again (especially underwater stuff) so I will be getting a few more jobs to afford this beauty.Its been sparse this year so far.

edit:guys,sorry if that was a bit selfish :)

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #269 of 4,813
Mmm.....your divine request lacks specificity: Dear Oil Sheiks: Stop behaving like a tool. I know you are being selfish by keeping oil production up so you can put out of business those pesky shale oil would-be pretenders of North America and Canada. So, why don't you kiss and make up and bring oil prices up! Besides, you have ruined many 401Ks already with your stupid oil wars. Xoxo, tepet08 . Better, right?

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #270 of 4,813
Mmm.....your divine request lacks specificity: Dear Oil Sheiks: Stop behaving like a tool. I know you are being selfish by keeping oil production up so you can put out of business those pesky shale oil would-be pretenders of North America and Canada. So, why don't you kiss and make up and bring oil prices up! Besides, you have ruined many 401Ks already with your stupid oil wars. Xoxo, tepet08 . Better, right?

Hahahaha..much much better man.....
I keep telling myself that my Prime is still new-ish so I am not in any rush to get the C..but i gotta stop coming here if i were to give myself any chance.With 1=4 exchange rate,I am looking at at least MYR6000.00 before shipping and taxes.Dang I shuda stick with my beats and skullcandies and be happily ignorant...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back