MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 28, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #2,463 of 2,891
  You will not be disappointed - I love my Primes - no hurry to get Ethers C - I am completely satisfied with my Primes so far.

I am pretty much the same way, I love the sound and looks of the primes and the upgrade includes a two year warranty so I should be set for a while. I especially like listening to binaural music and wish there was more of it out there. I have purchased everything I liked from HDtracks and need to find more sources.

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #2,464 of 2,891
After giving my Primes a listen in stock form for a good amount of time I decided to play with the tuning dots a little bit.  Using one of the configurations which brighten up the sound a bit they went from awesome to almost perfect for my preference 
basshead.gif

If any of you havent tinkered around with dots/pads yet I highly recommend it! It really is a perfect (and easy) way to fine tune the sounds to your personal preference
  You will not be disappointed - I love my Primes - no hurry to get Ethers C - I am completely satisfied with my Primes so far.

I considered getting some Ether C but after thinking about it for a little while, which is rare for my audio purchases, I think I'm pretty content for the time being. I am however thinking about some open backed Ether Flows just to see if theres a difference. I love my Primes enough that it would certainly take a bit of auditioning to convince me

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #2,465 of 2,891
OK , had the Prime/dum for a few days now, 1st listen was going to pull a dot off right out the gate. I'm going to wait a few months and then try one lees , mine came with 2 on each side but there seems to be a thick and thin one per side (or maybe one on each side is doubled up?
  I wait at least a month of listening to before trying any dot pulling, my only other cans (HE-560) are brighter which I SEEM to like , but Ill give it some time.

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #2,466 of 2,891
Hi guys,

i own a pair of Mr Speakers Alpha Prime. The right side of the stock cable has no sound. I am quite sure its the cable wires that are giving issues as i have done the following tests..

1) Tested a spare cable and the headphones work fine
2) Swapped sides on the stock cable on the headphones and each headphone side took turns to be muted.

I removed the hirose metal connectors on the cable using a small allen key and found out that the wiring has snapped at the ends internally on the connectors which means probably it requires resoldering. 

Anyone knows what i should/can do or encountered this before?

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #2,467 of 2,891
  Hi guys,

i own a pair of Mr Speakers Alpha Prime. The right side of the stock cable has no sound. I am quite sure its the cable wires that are giving issues as i have done the following tests..

1) Tested a spare cable and the headphones work fine
2) Swapped sides on the stock cable on the headphones and each headphone side took turns to be muted.

I removed the hirose metal connectors on the cable using a small allen key and found out that the wiring has snapped at the ends internally on the connectors which means probably it requires resoldering. 

Anyone knows what i should/can do or encountered this before?

if you do not solder, I would be happy to repair them for you no charge if you are located in the continental United States. I have not encountered it before on any I have built and I would try to make sure it did not happen again for you. You can private message me for my address.

Tom

Nov 11, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #2,468 of 2,891
Is there a high res DAP that can drive the Alpha Prime well without a separate amp?

I'm considering the Hifiman Supermini, which seems to have decent power?

Also looking at the Onkyo DP-X1 / Pioneer DXP 300r.

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #2,469 of 2,891

if you do not solder, I would be happy to repair them for you no charge if you are located in the continental United States. I have not encountered it before on any I have built and I would try to make sure it did not happen again for you. You can private message me for my address.

Tom

Thanks for your kind offer Sir, unfortunately, i live in Singapore :frowning2:

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #2,470 of 2,891
Has anyone used their Alpha Primes in public places? Furthermore, has anyone heard of any headband mods?

These cans make me feel/look like an alien.
redface.gif

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #2,471 of 2,891
  Has anyone used their Alpha Primes in public places? Furthermore, has anyone heard of any headband mods?

These cans make me feel/look like an alien.
redface.gif

Both my son and I have used them in public places if you consider the work environment public. I am not sure about mods, I have new factory headband and I am fine with those. If you do away with that and just have the Fostex plastic I also have a velcro'd band that wraps some of those. You can look for headband mods on Fostex T50RP series. Looking like an alien is not always bad lol.

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #2,472 of 2,891
Thanks for the reply.

I'll be more specific and say public places outside of the work place.

The Fostex T50RP Comfort Headband is on the Mayflower Electronics website, yet I'm unsure how that would work in terms of enough grip if I were to replace these with the current headband and apply the mod on the outer band. Would there be too much space in between my head and the mod, etc?

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #2,473 of 2,891
  Thanks for the reply.

I'll be more specific and say public places outside of the work place.

The Fostex T50RP Comfort Headband is on the Mayflower Electronics website, yet I'm unsure how that would work in terms of enough grip if I were to replace these with the current headband and apply the mod on the outer band. Would there be too much space in between my head and the mod, etc?

I think you would still have a gap judging by what I have.

You could remove the MrSpeakers headband I do believe if you wanted to wrap the original Fostex but I have not personally tried it yet.

If concerned about appearance you can always go with iem's or supra-aural headphones I suppose. I am less likely to wear closed headphones in public places myself and mostly in my office at work. One has to be able to communicate at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back