MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 17, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2,386 of 2,891

The "Prime" etching on the plastic piece on my upgraded Alpha Dogs. The sound difference is very definite. Bass is cleaner and has more depth, mid-range is more precise. IMHO

Thanks for the image, its subtle, but I like it. It wont rub off or wear out like a sticker or paint would.

Oh, I need to ask: Did your primes show up in a retail box? If they don't, it will be time to go case shopping.

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #2,388 of 2,891
  Unfortunately we no longer have retail boxes for the Primes. I see a good number of people using the Slappa case.

I shipped them in the original box but did not receive it back; that is not an issue. I will invest in a Slappa case or one of the others I have my eye on.

Currently listening to them and there is a huge difference between these and the alpha dogs. On several songs so far I notice a sonic distance like some instruments are farther away than other closed or semi closed headphones I have tried. I also let a half dozen employees listed to the Alpha Dogs prior to shipment and the Alpha Primes upon receipt and all were suitably impressed with the difference. 

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #2,389 of 2,891
I just built a balanced cable for my Primes and I am loving the results. Listening mostly to The Alan Parsons Project.

Luckily the cable I received with them had a pig tail that took a four pin connector down to 3.5 mm trs, I changed out the pig tail with dual xlrs to the appropriate four pin mini xlr and it works perfectly. You just need to know the four pin wiring scheme and it is not too hard to do if you are able to solder four wires into a circular area about a quarter inch diameter.

Once balanced I put on some binaural sound of 852 and 963 hertz, the audio separation is superb.

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #2,390 of 2,891
  Unfortunately we no longer have retail boxes for the Primes. I see a good number of people using the Slappa case.

Thanks much!

Looking forward to hearing the primes.

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #2,391 of 2,891
Got my primes in! So far I am absolutely in love with them. Definitely a big improvement over the mad dogs in almost every way. I like that they feel like a (massively) improved version of them versus a whole new headphone too.

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #2,392 of 2,891
  Got my primes in! So far I am absolutely in love with them. Definitely a big improvement over the mad dogs in almost every way. I like that they feel like a (massively) improved version of them versus a whole new headphone too.

They do very good work on the upgrade and there is a two year warranty from what I understand. 

The low frequencies are especially good IMHO.

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #2,393 of 2,891
I just loaded flac files onto and iphone 6 and used an Oppo HA2 amp for great portability using the Alpha Primes, I am also using them with a balanced dac/amp of decent quality but I hope to get a Schiit Jotunheim one day soon.

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #2,394 of 2,891
Do they have a good isolation? Already own LCD-XC but need something that will isolate outside listeners from me. I listen to post-hardcore and my SO complains about satanic tunes. I wanted to buy Ether C but as far as I understand their isolation is somewhat close to XC. I've also tried Denon 5/7k, Fostex 600/900 which were even worse.

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #2,395 of 2,891
Do they have a good isolation? Already own LCD-XC but need something that will isolate outside listeners from me. I listen to post-hardcore and my SO complains about satanic tunes. I wanted to buy Ether C but as far as I understand their isolation is somewhat close to XC. I've also tried Denon 5/7k, Fostex 600/900 which were even worse.

The Alpha Primes/Alpha Dogs isolate very well - the Alpha Pads are wide, deep and cushy, so they can create a great seal, even with glasses. My ears are slightly larger than normal.

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #2,396 of 2,891

I had mine on outdoors in a patio area last night and had a fawn walk up and watch me closely for a half hour or so and it never budged. Any kind of motion or sound would have spooked it. My son uses his in an office atmosphere and he swears by them so isolation is not much of an issue. The Fostex are semi open but the MrSpeakers design is a more complete seal and it improves the base from what I have read.

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #2,397 of 2,891
Just got my Primes this morning, its too early to post sound impressions but I noticed something straight away. They are very amp friendly, more so than the A.Dogs and I was expecting the opposite.
blink.gif

The Magni 2 Uber can get them loud on low gain/12 O clock. Only need to hit high gain for quieter songs, impressive.

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #2,399 of 2,891
  Just got my Primes this morning, its too early to post sound impressions but I noticed something straight away. They are very amp friendly, more so than the A.Dogs and I was expecting the opposite.
blink.gif

The Magni 2 Uber can get them loud on low gain/12 O clock. Only need to hit high gain for quieter songs, impressive.

I noticed that too, from the Mad Dog Pros, they needed more juice from the Corda Classic than my HE400is (2 oclock versus 12 oclock), but the Alpha Primes seem more efficient (10 oclock versus 12 oclock), interestingly! They also isolate noise far better than the Mad Dog Pros, which is awesome :D 

Got my cable from MrSpeakers (thanks!), which is nice to not use my ghetto'd-up cable haha.

Loving them so far, they're pretty special.

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #2,400 of 2,891
Yup, definitely not your average headphone. Ten hours in, I am not sure how to describe their sound, but they have noticeably good instrument placement.

The tiny nuances and little details in any song leap out more than in any other hp ive used. I'm quite impressed with them so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back