MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 9, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #2,356 of 2,891
The anticipation of getting mine back is killing me and they just received my OG mad dogs Friday lol.

I assume they send you an email once theyre finished and getting shipped back to you?

In the meantime Ive been trying to get my portable setup dialed in

Aug 9, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #2,357 of 2,891
  Ok.. finally tried them after a long day.  They are slightly lighter than regular alpha dogs.  The upgrade you get new printed cups, alpha pads and a new split leather head band.  I totally love the sound of the primes.  I did the tuning dots to #3 to make it a little darker but it sounds great!  I would recommend the upgrade if you're not doing anything with the alpha dogs.  

I never found either set to be particularly heavy but everyone reacts differently to such devices. 

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #2,358 of 2,891
  The anticipation of getting mine back is killing me and they just received my OG mad dogs Friday lol.

I assume they send you an email once theyre finished and getting shipped back to you?

In the meantime Ive been trying to get my portable setup dialed in

They send you an email saying they're done and shipping to you.  It took about 2 to 3 weeks or so.

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #2,359 of 2,891
  They send you an email saying they're done and shipping to you.  It took about 2 to 3 weeks or so.

They received mine yesterday but I do not mind the wait. I was just glad to get them there while they still have parts for the upgrades. 

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #2,360 of 2,891
Experts advice requested.

I received my ADs couple of days ago in hopes to upgrade them to APs. Unfortunately I couldn't stand the weight of ADs, I can go thru 30 mins or max 45 mins of listening sessions. That's it and it starts to hurt my neck. I hope the APs would be weighing the same or more. Any suggestions on how to improve the comfort or 'disappear' the weight? Greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mr speakers buts out videos to adjust the clamp tension by bending the headband. The Alpha Primes are naturally more comfortable, because the split in the headband distributes the weight on your head much better. People say its lighter, but i literally cant tell, cause they were already so comfortable anyways. Going from HE500s and HE6s for the last year, getting mine were almost a god send

Aug 9, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #2,361 of 2,891
Mr speakers buts out videos to adjust the clamp tension by bending the headband. The Alpha Primes are naturally more comfortable, because the split in the headband distributes the weight on your head much better. People say its lighter, but i literally cant tell, cause they were already so comfortable anyways. Going from HE500s and HE6s for the last year, getting mine were almost a god send

Thanks, I'm still debating with myself to go with the upgrade or put it back in the market. I will check the videos once I head home tonight. I have a pair of HE400i's as well and these are much heavier, not sure if the chord is making it feel so.

Aug 9, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #2,362 of 2,891
At least if you do put them back on the market, they do seem to retain their value pretty well and should continue to since the upgrade is still feasible.

Aug 9, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #2,363 of 2,891

Thanks, I'm still debating with myself to go with the upgrade or put it back in the market. I will check the videos once I head home tonight. I have a pair of HE400i's as well and these are much heavier, not sure if the chord is making it feel so.

I dont understand why. Planars are heavier than Dynamic headphones cause of the magnets in them. The primes shouldnt be heavier than the 400i, due to its small magnet array, and light 3d print design. The magnets in the 400 cover a greater surface area, so logic should depic that the 400 is heavier. Weird....

Aug 9, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #2,364 of 2,891
I dont understand why. Planars are heavier than Dynamic headphones cause of the magnets in them. The primes shouldnt be heavier than the 400i, due to its small magnet array, and light 3d print design. The magnets in the 400 cover a greater surface area, so logic should depic that the 400 is heavier. Weird....

One of the reasons the HE-400i may feel lighter (and it's a great headphone, BTW), is because its broad headband distributes the weight over a wider area.

Still, some people have trouble with heavier headphones, while some of us hate a tight clamp. Everyone's head/neck/ears are different

Aug 10, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #2,365 of 2,891
Has anyone used the LH Labs Geek Out V2+Infinity to power the Primes? (Their nomenclature is really convoluted, by the way.)

I've read it's one of a handful of portable amps that can do the Primes justice (aside from the Chord Mojo and iFi Micro iDSD).

Today, I'll find out if I need to improve my amp, but I think already know the answer.

Aug 12, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #2,366 of 2,891
Just got my Primes :D Pretty! Buuttttttt no cable in the box :frowning2:

Aug 12, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #2,367 of 2,891
Just got my Primes :D Pretty! Buuttttttt no cable in the box :frowning2:

Did you send them to be upgraded? They ask you not to send the cable.

Aug 12, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #2,369 of 2,891
Upgraded from mad dog pros, so they should have come with cables, sent an email into MrSpeakers, probably just an oversight, no worries. I didn't send my old ones in, lucky I've got two pairs of single entry cables, so my job tomorrow is to hack them together into a dual entry cable, shouldn't be too hard :p

Also for those looking at upgrading, they don't come back in a retail box, was a bit surprised.

Aug 12, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #2,370 of 2,891
Upgraded from mad dog pros, so they should have come with cables, sent an email into MrSpeakers, probably just an oversight, no worries. I didn't send my old ones in, lucky I've got two pairs of single entry cables, so my job tomorrow is to hack them together into a dual entry cable, shouldn't be too hard :p

Also for those looking at upgrading, they don't come back in a retail box, was a bit surprised.

I believe MrSpeakers lists pinouts for their cables. If you have any issues I can help walk you through the build when I get back to work on Monday. I will be building a balanced set as well as dual entry down to 1/4" for my own use. If you have not taken the Hirose connectors apart before that will be the first thing you will need to learn. I use long nose pliers and some tiny channel locks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back