MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 4, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #2,341 of 2,891
Thanks for the update, Peter!

Are they being shipped via USPS Priority or ground shipping?

Mine do not arrive there till this coming Monday but I expedited shipping back. A week or two is fine. It is nice to get an answer back within a thread. In the meantime I will get to work on some cables. I want to run them balanced from a Pono player but other devices use four pin xlr or mini xlr or dual standard xlr etc.

Aug 4, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #2,342 of 2,891
Here is a question for those who already have Alpha Primes:

What songs really bring out the quality of those headphones for you?

In general when comparing, I like a lot of things engineered by Alan Parsons but most often I listen to

Limelight
The turn of a Friendly card
Sirius

other songs

Diamonds on the soles of her shoes   Paul Simon

Nighttime at the switching yard  Warren Zevon

Perfect Day by Lou Reed

Chuck E's in Love by Rickie Lee Jones

Extremely Cool by Chuck E. Weiss

Aug 4, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #2,344 of 2,891
Yosi Horikawa's Wandering and Vapor album. Full on Binural Downtempo/Experimental recordings. Really brings out the Stellar Low End and imaging of these Cans. Madoka Magica OST by Yuki Kajuira is also a great mention.

Or... Battlefield 3 or 4 lol

Lol I own in excess of 35,000 albums and yet there is still plenty of music I do not know.

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #2,346 of 2,891
I only have about 2000 songs at the moment. I had a nice Spotify library built up but switched to Tidal recently so I just started building it back up. I've lost my entire collection multiple times due to switching computers, failed hard drives, losing CDs, etc. Ive kept my favorites throughout but I mainly just keep the music I listen to regularly and stream quite a bit.

Also, my headphones should arrive at Mr Speakers tomorrow! Hoping for a solid turnaround time, ordered a Modi Multibit today so Ill be itching to test that bad boy out with the primes

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #2,347 of 2,891
5000 songs on my computer. I dont have enough

I am duplicating music so I have it as lossless so I add quite a bit every week as well as rebuying vinyl so the quality is there.

Aug 4, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #2,348 of 2,891
  Here is a question for those who already have Alpha Primes:

What songs really bring out the quality of those headphones for you?

In general when comparing, I like a lot of things engineered by Alan Parsons but most often I listen to

Limelight
The turn of a Friendly card
Sirius

other songs

Diamonds on the soles of her shoes   Paul Simon

Nighttime at the switching yard  Warren Zevon

Perfect Day by Lou Reed

Chuck E's in Love by Rickie Lee Jones

Extremely Cool by Chuck E. Weiss

Some of my favorites with the Alpha Primes off spotify:

Salvadanio by Skalpel (Lots of layering going on, really shows off the soundstage and imaging for me)

Dragon Roost Island (From "the Wind Waker") by Taylor Davis (and most of her stuff from the Melodies of Hyrule album...well recorded, well composed and nostalgic for a gamer)

DuDu - Phil Martin Remix by The Jazzinvaders (Has some cool electronic effects that poke at the edges of the soundstage)

Chuckle by Tigerskin (Visceral and well spaced)

We Could Forever by Bonobo (Lot of percussion and other instruments going on, again everything is placed nicely)

Get lucky by Daft Punk (Eh, I just like Daft Punk and this sounded pretty good on the APs)

Aug 5, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #2,349 of 2,891
  Some of my favorites with the Alpha Primes off spotify:

Salvadanio by Skalpel (Lots of layering going on, really shows off the soundstage and imaging for me)

Dragon Roost Island (From "the Wind Waker") by Taylor Davis (and most of her stuff from the Melodies of Hyrule album...well recorded, well composed and nostalgic for a gamer)

DuDu - Phil Martin Remix by The Jazzinvaders (Has some cool electronic effects that poke at the edges of the soundstage)

Chuckle by Tigerskin (Visceral and well spaced)

We Could Forever by Bonobo (Lot of percussion and other instruments going on, again everything is placed nicely)

Get lucky by Daft Punk (Eh, I just like Daft Punk and this sounded pretty good on the APs)

I will have to check a couple of those out. My son uses Spotify a lot and listens to some higher res music there with his Alpha Primes. I keep downloading music from HDTracks and Pono when it had music (it may again by now) but that gets expensive after a while. 

Aug 7, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #2,350 of 2,891
Experts advice requested.

I received my ADs couple of days ago in hopes to upgrade them to APs. Unfortunately I couldn't stand the weight of ADs, I can go thru 30 mins or max 45 mins of listening sessions. That's it and it starts to hurt my neck. I hope the APs would be weighing the same or more. Any suggestions on how to improve the comfort or 'disappear' the weight? Greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #2,351 of 2,891
I just got my alpha prime upgrade... they're lighter!  I thought someone stole them from the box because they were way lighter than what I shipped back.  Haven't tried them because I'm at work, but will report back.

Aug 8, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #2,352 of 2,891
  I just got my alpha prime upgrade... they're lighter!  I thought someone stole them from the box because they were way lighter than what I shipped back.  Haven't tried them because I'm at work, but will report back.

My AD's just arrived back at MrSpeakers, I would think the Alpha prime and Alpha dog would be similar in weight but it will be a couple weeks before I see mine back I would guess. Did you have mad dogs upgraded to primes?

Aug 8, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2,353 of 2,891
I was sad getting my box, because I thought for sure someone had stolen them.  But alas, that was not the case.  Got my regular Alpha Dogs upgraded to primes.  The leather strap on top is also smaller.  I swear they're lighter but I wont know till I try them at home.  

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #2,354 of 2,891
  I was sad getting my box, because I thought for sure someone had stolen them.  But alas, that was not the case.  Got my regular Alpha Dogs upgraded to primes.  The leather strap on top is also smaller.  I swear they're lighter but I wont know till I try them at home.  

I'm curious, let me know. Haven't purchased the upgrade yet, very interested if the APs are lighter.

Aug 9, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #2,355 of 2,891
Ok.. finally tried them after a long day.  They are slightly lighter than regular alpha dogs.  The upgrade you get new printed cups, alpha pads and a new split leather head band.  I totally love the sound of the primes.  I did the tuning dots to #3 to make it a little darker but it sounds great!  I would recommend the upgrade if you're not doing anything with the alpha dogs.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back