MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 12, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #2,371 of 2,891
I believe MrSpeakers lists pinouts for their cables. If you have any issues I can help walk you through the build when I get back to work on Monday. I will be building a balanced set as well as dual entry down to 1/4" for my own use. If you have not taken the Hirose connectors apart before that will be the first thing you will need to learn. I use long nose pliers and some tiny channel locks.

Yea, they're already built cables, so all i'll be doing is cutting off a length of cable from the hirose connector side and splicing them into the 3.5mm connector side (ie making a y split), shouldn't be too hard. I've attempted to make my own cable with the hirose connectors and they're a pain to solder since they're so small, luckily I won't have to do that this time!

Aug 12, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #2,372 of 2,891
Yea, they're already built cables, so all i'll be doing is cutting off a length of cable from the hirose connector side and splicing them into the 3.5mm connector side (ie making a y split), shouldn't be too hard. I've attempted to make my own cable with the hirose connectors and they're a pain to solder since they're so small, luckily I won't have to do that this time!

If you disassemble them they are not too bad but then I solder on a weekly basis. I am glad you can resolve it and can enjoy those headphones soon.

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #2,374 of 2,891
If you disassemble them they are not too bad but then I solder on a weekly basis. I am glad you can resolve it and can enjoy those headphones soon.

Yea fair, I just don't have the skill or dexterity for it haha. All done, not the cleanest job in the world, just a heatshrink y split, but it'll do until my cable comes. Now for the music! :D

Initial impressions are very positive (confirmation bias much?) coming from the Mad Dog Pro. Sound stage is dramatically wider and imaging is extremely accurate. Bass is very deep and hits hard and fast, mids sound maybe a little recessed (??), and highs are nice with no sibilence, though they get close. This is with no tuning dots/pads and with no burn in. They definitely suit my desired sound signature, complimenting the HE400is and PM3s, very happy for an EDM head :D

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #2,375 of 2,891
  Yea fair, I just don't have the skill or dexterity for it haha. All done, not the cleanest job in the world, just a heatshrink y split, but it'll do until my cable comes. Now for the music! :D

Initial impressions are very positive (confirmation bias much?) coming from the Mad Dog Pro. Sound stage is dramatically wider and imaging is extremely accurate. Bass is very deep and hits hard and fast, mids sound maybe a little recessed (??), and highs are nice with no sibilence, though they get close. This is with no tuning dots/pads and with no burn in. They definitely suit my desired sound signature, complimenting the HE400is and PM3s, very happy for an EDM head :D

This is good to hear! Ill be coming from regular Mad Dogs and even though I listen to a bit of everything metal and EDM are what Im playing most frequently. Crossing my fingers to get them in by the end of next week considering I go on vacation the following one

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #2,376 of 2,891
Sorry to cannonball into this thread (pretty sure I have a bad habit of doing this...), but I've got a few questions for other prime owners to which I've not found conclusive answers by perusing this thread.

1. Do any of you store/transport your primes in any type of aftermarket hard case? (Seahorse, Pelican, etc.)

2. Is there an explanation somewhere of how the Doggie Treats work? I know what they do, and how different configurations are used. I'm really just curious to know how each component accomplishes what it does.

3. Not a question, but if any MrSpeakers owner's are interested, I'm letting go of a gorgeous 6' Norne Vanquish (red/black!) cable terminated to Eidolic 4pin. Shoot me a PM if interested!

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #2,377 of 2,891
  Sorry to cannonball into this thread (pretty sure I have a bad habit of doing this...), but I've got a few questions for other prime owners to which I've not found conclusive answers by perusing this thread.

1. Do any of you store/transport your primes in any type of aftermarket hard case? (Seahorse, Pelican, etc.)

Yes; I use a Slappa case.  I tend to put my cable in the cloth bag that comes with the Primes/Dogs. Since my preferred cable is slimmer than the standard one, I could shove it in the Slappa case, but I refrain so as not to mar the finish on the cups.  

Your second question - I'm not an acoustic engineer, so meh. 

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #2,378 of 2,891
Second the Slappa case. I use it with my HE6 and Alpha Primes respectively. I even fit the awkward headband that i used in my mod for my he500s. I dont think HD800s or SHP9500s, because those are bigger than any other headphones ive ever used. You can at least insure it will fit pretty much any headphones

Aug 16, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #2,379 of 2,891
So the newest Primes will have laser engraving on the plastic slider enclosure to distinguish them from the Alpha Dogs. Is anyone able to provide a picture of the engraving?

It would be nice to have a peek.

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #2,380 of 2,891
I've got both XLR and 1/4" versions of DUM cables for sale cheap if anybody wants them. Just PM me. 

I recently got my amp modded, and am now powering it by a power supply more expensive than the original amp. Amazing how much of a difference that makes. 

I began listening to my new setup on my Ethers, but switched last night to the Primes, because I needed closed cans. Guess what, the Primes scale dang high. They consistently surprise me by responding well to the best system I throw at it. There is a fun element to them not there with the Ethers, too. I really love these cans!

Aug 16, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #2,381 of 2,891
  So the newest Primes will have laser engraving on the plastic slider enclosure to distinguish them from the Alpha Dogs. Is anyone able to provide a picture of the engraving?

It would be nice to have a peek.

I may well be able to post a photo tomorrow if they included it on my upgraded Primes. Turn around time to go from Alpha Dogs to Primes was under two weeks for me but that includes travel time, MrSpeakers had them for just one week.

Aug 17, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #2,382 of 2,891
I may well be able to post a photo tomorrow if they included it on my upgraded Primes. Turn around time to go from Alpha Dogs to Primes was under two weeks for me but that includes travel time, MrSpeakers had them for just one week.

Awesome, curious cause I just sent my dogs in for the upgrade. Seeing all the praise the primes get..even to this day in ether land..had me convinced to upgrade. I'm gonna have to keep expectations low till I hear them myself..been wanting a pair since January.

Aug 17, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #2,383 of 2,891
Awesome, curious cause I just sent my dogs in for the upgrade. Seeing all the praise the primes get..even to this day in ether land..had me convinced to upgrade. I'm gonna have to keep expectations low till I hear them myself..been wanting a pair since January.

I heard them for the first time maybe a year and a half ago on a balanced out put from a Pono player and I was truly impressed. The clarity and separation was amazing and I realized then I would own a pair one day. Now I just need to build a few adapters for the four pin mini XLR that came with mine so I can use them with different types of connectors.

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #2,384 of 2,891

I have the opposite issue. Im getting my hopes and expectations up pretty high for my upgraded primes that arrive Friday. Im coming from original Mad Dogs though so I presume that the differences should be pretty stark

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #2,385 of 2,891

The "Prime" etching on the plastic piece on my upgraded Alpha Dogs. The sound difference is very definite. Bass is cleaner and has more depth, mid-range is more precise. IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back