MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 22, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #2,221 of 2,891
I tried one pad with no dots... then tried no pads one dot at the bottom and I think this is my favorite configuration for now.  I also don't find highs that bad.. only on bad recordings like Villy said.

May 26, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #2,222 of 2,891
  Thanks so much for the guide! I got to testing out different configurations immediately after getting home from work and ended up going with #35; there's just something about the treble at that setting that tickles my ears in just the right way 
darthsmile.gif

I was playing around with everyone's configuration on this thread and I like yours the best..

The treble definitely tickled my ear in just the "right" way :)

May 28, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #2,223 of 2,891
New AP owner checking in. 3rd time was the charm with these guys! I'd tried twice this year to snatch a pair of secondhand primes and for one reason or another, the deal fell through both times. Got a pair now that will be fed through my fully-balanced Emotiva DC-1/Liquid Carbon stack once the Carbon is back from repair. 

Even though it's not a well-known amp, the headphone section of the DC-1 ain't no slouch. I'm loving the fact that the primes come so close to my babies, the PS1000s, in a closed back configuration. Makes listening when the wife is with me much easier!

May 29, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #2,224 of 2,891
Great to see you here, Joe. I'm also glad to hear that they compare favorably with your Grados!

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #2,225 of 2,891
  I'm starting to itch for an upgrade to my Mad Dogs now that I can begin to afford it and I'm starting to think the only thing that can reasonably scratch that itch is another offering from MrSpeakers.

Has anyone here done the jump all the way from the original MD3.2s all the way to the Primes and have notes to share?

Hi There,

I have MD3.2, Alpha Prime and Ethers (balanced DUM cable that I use from my Ethers).

Differences between 3.2 and AP:
The AP is basically the 3.2 but cleaned up.  The positives are the same: separation, solid mid range, decent 3d spacing.  The AP has a very nice bass (better than the 3.2 which can be a bit bloomy), and wider/deeper soundstage.  

I can go into more detail if you want to know specifics.

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #2,227 of 2,891
After buying my Mad Dogs following an audition of stock Mark II's I got an idea of how capable the T50rp driver is. The fact that that world class orthos like the Ether and the LCD range are being challenged by a £100 driver is truly astonishing. I have so much more to learn.

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #2,228 of 2,891
After buying my Mad Dogs following an audition of stock Mark II's I got an idea of how capable the T50rp driver is. The fact that that world class orthos like the Ether and the LCD range are being challenged by a £100 driver is truly astonishing. I have so much more to learn.

I really like the MD3.2s.  Granted, my Ethers and AP are *defintely* better, but I don't think there's a better headphone under $300 (I did buy my Senn 650s for $280, but these barely edge out the 3.2s).  Of the mid-range cans, I doubt there's a better closed pair than the 3.2s.  I think people have kind of forgotten about them with the AD/AP/Ether/Ether-C now all in the mix.

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #2,229 of 2,891
I really like the MD3.2s.  Granted, my Ethers and AP are *defintely* better, but I don't think there's a better headphone under $300 (I did buy my Senn 650s for $280, but these barely edge out the 3.2s).  Of the mid-range cans, I doubt there's a better closed pair than the 3.2s.  I think people have kind of forgotten about them with the AD/AP/Ether/Ether-C now all in the mix.

The MD were the first to sell out. Definitely not forgotten :). Even if they were by the same driver in a 3D printed encasing, that's one heck of an accomplishment. I do wonder what the absolute best you can squeeze out of this little driver is.

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #2,230 of 2,891
The MD were the first to sell out. Definitely not forgotten
smily_headphones1.gif
. Even if they were by the same driver in a 3D printed encasing, that's one heck of an accomplishment. I do wonder what the absolute best you can squeeze out of this little driver is.

Good to hear 
L3000.gif
, glad people still enjoy them!  I've placed mine out of rotation for the time being since I've been digging the AP and TH-X00 lately, but this makes me want to go back.  There are certainly worse problems to have 
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #2,231 of 2,891
Mine are for sale. Please see the link in my signature....

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #2,232 of 2,891
I'm considering picking up a pair of APs since I got a good offer to trade my X00s for one. I'm mainly curious how their soundstage stacks up against other open headphones. I know, I know. They are closed and that usually isn't a fair comparison, but many have said they have a soundstage better than most open headphones and I'd like to know to what extent. I'm wondering how these would stack up against other notable mid-fi headphones like the HE-500/400is, AKG k7xxs, and HD600/650/700s in stage volume (depth/width/hight) and imaging. If anyone has the Fidue A73 iems and can compare the APs staging/imaging to those too, I'd appreciate it since those are my current "benchmark" for good staging/imaging. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help give some perspective on this!

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #2,233 of 2,891
APs are not mid-fi, they are hi-fi and stand above all HPs you mentioned. As for replacing your X00 with AP, you'll be stunned how much better APs are, though that will also be depending on what you will amplify them with, they need a bit of power and preferably more resolving system to fully shine. In any case, go ahead, it is a big upgrade no matter how you look at it.

Jun 16, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #2,234 of 2,891
Already bought them since the guy who sold them to me let them go at a great price. I'll be able to compare the TH-X00s directly against them and see which I prefer and sell the one I like less. Though, I have a hunch the winner will be the Primes even with my EDM heavy playlist, pretty much heard nothing but praise everywhere I look.

Jun 16, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #2,235 of 2,891
We are in the process of finishing our program for Prime upgrades, we should have some news in the next week.  Thanks for the patience!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back