MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 16, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #2,207 of 2,891
i heard the V1.1 ether c and had mixed feelings honestly. on one hand it's technically superior to the prime. it's more detailed, more open, more clear. from a technicalities standpoint it was a noticeable improvement over the prime. but.... it's tonality wasn't to my liking. it's not nearly as dark/warm as the prime, and that's what I love about the prime. it sounded more like the hd800 honestly. not as bright, not as open, not as detailed. but it's overall presentation made me immediately think "hd800 with smoother highs".

I was hoping the ether c would be my end game closed headphone, but the prime still reigns supreme for me and my preferences.

This is a spot on assessment IMO. Ether and Ether C are more going to please HD800 lovers than those who like that warmer, weightier sound that you usually hear from planars.

May 16, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #2,208 of 2,891
I was listening AC/DC Live Album Let There be Rock last night and I just could not stop listening to it... felt extremely tired today due to lack of sleep last night :)

It's really an all-rounder that excels in rock IMO

May 19, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #2,209 of 2,891
I played around with the dots... but I now forgot the default dots configuration.... I tried no dots with 1 pad for a week but then I prefer the default.  I remember it was one bottom and one on the side... but which side was it?  LOL man I should've taken a pic... Thanks guys!

May 19, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #2,210 of 2,891
Attached is the whole tuning guide, the first configuration is the the default. For some weird reason head-fi won't display the image alone even though when I post it in the editor box is nicely set and visible, must be a bug in the site's code.

May 19, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #2,211 of 2,891
  Attached is the whole tuning guide, the first configuration is the the default. For some weird reason head-fi won't display the image alone even though when I post it in the editor box is nicely set and visible, must be a bug in the site's code.

Thx! but wait.. the dots does it show left side or right side?

May 19, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #2,212 of 2,891
They should be on rights side, or the lower side. The driver should look exactly as depicted in the diagrams when you are looking at it in its normal position, with the connector side of the cup pointing towards the floor that is.

May 19, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #2,214 of 2,891
Excellent point, excuse me for not elaborating - according to MrSpeakers himself (see post 1015) the image in the guide depicts the left cup, so the placement of the dots on the right cup should be in mirror-like fashion.

May 20, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #2,217 of 2,891
I'm waiting for Dan from MrSpeakers to get back to me concerning a AD to Prime upgrade. I was told it would be soon about 1.5 months ago. So either I get to upgrade or my Black Alpha Dogs sell so I can get some Ether Cs....... We'll see what happens first. I really like what I have read about the Primes so I hope I get the upgrade!

May 22, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #2,218 of 2,891
When Z reviews did a review of these Alpha Primes he said the treble was very bothersome,yet a lot of people have zero problems wearing them without high frequency tuning. Was there a point where Dan did something to the drivers to make the highs less painful or?

May 22, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #2,219 of 2,891
When Z reviews did a review of these Alpha Primes he said the treble was very bothersome,yet a lot of people have zero problems wearing them without high frequency tuning. Was there a point where Dan did something to the drivers to make the highs less painful or?

Yes he started tuning them with the dots. The treble is quite wonderful.

May 22, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #2,220 of 2,891
The perception of highs, lows, sound in general is just like all else - very individual. There are certain 'universally agreed upon', for lack of better definition, guidelines, but that's what they are only, guidelines, and individual perceptions will inevitably vary and often wildly. For example, yesterday someone told me he thinks HD600s have better/more lows in terms of quantity than Alpha Dogs, and to my ears such statement is outright blasphemy.

I personally don't find the Primes' highs offending or bothersome, though with certain 'inferior' recordings they can get close. The pads definitely help, and much more so in suppressing the highs than the dots. I originally added one pad to each cup but subsequently took them out. Just like with everything else, the source material makes all the difference - garbage in, garbage out, so now I'd rather choose my cans based on the recording I'll be listening to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back