MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 26, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #2,161 of 2,891
  The only thing I regret about my primes is buying an amp for them. My Ibasso DX80 has plenty of volume. On the other hand I have not tried to discern whether they perform better with more power.

Jimbob, If you like them with DX80 then keep it that way and don't doubt your ears. Honestly, you may not want to know whether they perform better with more power, it is a slippery slope out there, I'd say better avoid it :) no kidding

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #2,162 of 2,891
Re: "...th900...since they said that Dan's MrSpeakers is just a small company and the quality of the products cannot be compared to big companies like the Sennheiser and Grado."

The th900 they recommend is neither of those large manufacturers. It is however the manufacturer who made the driver in the AlphaPrime (before Dan customizes it), the body (sans cup and pad), and the headband! :) funny, that.

Dans product is a lovingly handmade low volume production where each item is extensively tested. I'm not going to disrespect large manufacturers. But they also do not put as much care and attention into each unit produced as MrSpeakers does.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #2,163 of 2,891
  I was also considering the Fostex-X00, LCD-2,TH-900,primarily closed headphones besides the LCD-2. A friend of mine has been raving about the AP for over a year now.

... Someone on reddit just now told me the AP are a complete waste of money and told me to get the TH 900 instead since they said that Dan's MrSpeakers is just a small company and the quality of the products cannot be compared to big companies like the Sennheiser and Grado.

These are all great headphones in their own right, I don't think there is a single member here that will have a word otherwise. With that said, although each may do something gerat and even better than the Pimes, when you consider the overall package none of them is of the Primes' caliber. I don't want to go into details, only will mention that Primes have superior clarity, detail and are the most neutral from this group. Also the least fatiguing to listen to and that is very, very important. Specifically in regards to TH900, they have notable V-shape frequency response and exaggerated lows that I will even describe as boomy. Yes, they are fun to listen to but so are countless other headphones and that is not enough. For many people that is enough, for me the Primes are technically superior and outshine them in almost every aspect.

As for MrSpeakers being a small company - this is the most ridiculous argument I've heard in a very long time. Really? And so were Apple, and Google, and Facebook, weren't they! Big corporations cannot innovate, hence the reason they acquire small and nimble innovators, but let me stop myself as I start to drift away here...

I'll tell you this (and I assume your Primes are new): make sure to burn them for good 100 hours before you engage in more or less critical listening. Alternatively, burn them while you listen to them and just keep open mind that they will be improving their sound. After that, take them to a better audio shop or someone you know with a top of the line headphones, and compare them. Then we'll love to hear back from you how it all went (even if we already have a good feel how it will go :) 

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #2,164 of 2,891

These are all great headphones in their own right, I don't think there is a single member here that will have a word otherwise. With that said, although each may do something gerat and even better than the Pimes, when you consider the overall package none of them is of the Primes' caliber. I don't want to go into details, only will mention that Primes have superior clarity, detail and are the most neutral from this group. Also the least fatiguing to listen to and that is very, very important. Specifically in regards to TH900, they have notable V-shape frequency response and exaggerated lows that I will even describe as boomy. Yes, they are fun to listen to but so are countless other headphones and that is not enough. For many people that is enough, for me the Primes are technically superior and outshine them in almost every aspect.

As for MrSpeakers being a small company - this is the most ridiculous argument I've heard in a very long time. Really? And so were Apple, and Google, and Facebook, weren't they! Big corporations cannot innovate, hence the reason they acquire small and nimble innovators, but let me stop myself as I start to drift away here...

I'll tell you this (and I assume your Primes are new): make sure to burn them for good 100 hours before you engage in more or less critical listening. Alternatively, burn them while you listen to them and just keep open mind that they will be improving their sound. After that, take them to a better audio shop or someone you know with a top of the line headphones, and compare them. Then we'll love to hear back from you how it all went (even if we already have a good feel how it will go :) 

That's great to hear! I originally got the AP because they were extremely neutral from what I've read and they had great clarity.

I recently sold my ZMF Vibro since it was way too colored for my taste and lacks clarity.

I'm really happy to hear that I picked the right headphones out of the bunch, more importantly the one with a neutral sound signature. Im not a very big fan for boomy bass and I read that the AP isn't a boomy headphone to begin with.

Everything you've said basically confirms all the research I've done on these headphones before I made the purchase. Now I can sleep better at night thanks to you! :)

I have to agree.. Once he started comparing company size.. I kind of started to disregard his opinions on the AP. Small companies are the most innovative because they need to be creative in order to compete with bigger companies, which is why most of their products are of higher quality than their competition.

I will definitely burn them in before I make a judgement. I'm getting the AP And my Magni 2 this Thursday, I'll let you know how it goes!

Really though. A big thank you to you and everyone that helped. It really means a lot to me to get your inputs, especially since I've been going crazy over this subject for the last 48 hours.

Will update on Thursday once it comes! :wink: 

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #2,165 of 2,891
Glad to be of help, just as others have been for me, hmm, for all of us really. And in the end, whatever anyone says, remember it is what your ears say that counts (hopefully the Primes will be talking nice talk to them :) 

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #2,166 of 2,891
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a used Alpha Prime  based on the reviews here..

Though I feel somewhat of regret since a large majority of people on /r/headphones have been saying that the Alpha Prime headphones are one of the worst headphones ever, worst value for it's price and the headphones NOT to get.

Someone also mentioned that there's inconsistencies with Dan's Alpha Primes as well.

What are your thoughts on it?

Was buying the Alpha Prime a ****ty buy?

:frowning2:
I just read, briefly, some comments on Reddit, and some people over there seem as confused by your question as we are.

The Primes are/were an amazing headphone. Admittedly, they were one of the first closed-headphones that upped the performance level to compete with good open-back cans. But they have been eclipsed by the Ether C. So the Primes may be past their (he) Prime.

But after comparing them to the Sennheiser HD 800 S, I am in no hurry to replace them.

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #2,167 of 2,891
Love the synergy with Mojo -> Asgard 2 -> AP. Actually quite a lot more than using the Mojo solely. I'm not an audiophile but I feel that the A2 just adds some magic to the low end that is missing with the Mojo 
gs1000.gif

@TsKen Hope you enjoy your APs!

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #2,168 of 2,891
  Love the synergy with Mojo -> Asgard 2 -> AP. Actually quite a lot more than using the Mojo solely. I'm not an audiophile but I feel that the A2 just adds some magic to the low end that is missing with the Mojo 
gs1000.gif

@TsKen Hope you enjoy your APs!

I am using the asgard one. I am not sure it contributes as I do not need the extra volume. I am going to test th primes, listening to different cds  from dx80 and asgard line out.

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #2,169 of 2,891

Hmm well I did research them based off of Head-fi which had a more positive opinion on the AP than reddit.

However, it's surprising to see so many negative opinions on them on reddit which is why I asked in the first place :/

I guess the opinions on the AP are not.. consistent?

It's really strange since based on this review

http://www.head-fi.org/products/mrspeakers-alpha-prime/reviews/11939#comments-title

It's implying the AP are not hard to drive at all.

Also looking at the recent comments by Jimbob Andrews, he also agrees that a strong amp is not necessary.

But yet, there are also people on the other side of the fence that is telling me to get a dedicated external amp for these and a strong source is necessary for the AP.

Since the opinion is so divided.. How do I decide who I should listen to?

Hell... I even got the Magni 2 today in preparation for the AP. Do you think the Magni 2 would be able to drive the Alpha Prime properly?

I'm just so confused right now.. :S any advice would be appreciated

ok first things first, the AP rock. I've heard a lot of headphones, and for my sound preferences, nothing beats them. NOTHING... as for amps, they're not that picky as long as it has decent power. I had the Magni 2 Uber when I first got the AP, and it was a fine pairing. being a solid state amp, it was clean, clear, and neutral. very detailed and dynamic. I really enjoyed the AP with my M2U. I'm currently getting used to my 2 week old Lyr 2 (stock tubes still). I wont lie, I prefer the sound of the M2U to the Lyr 2 with stock tubes. more dynamic, more detailed. not as smooth or effortless, but the gap between the two amps isn't huge with stock tubes. we'll see how tube rolling goes....

so bottom line, you got a killer headphone, and a great amp for it. relax and enjoy!

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #2,170 of 2,891

ok first things first, the AP rock. I've heard a lot of headphones, and for my sound preferences, nothing beats them. NOTHING... as for amps, they're not that picky as long as it has decent power. I had the Magni 2 Uber when I first got the AP, and it was a fine pairing. being a solid state amp, it was clean, clear, and neutral. very detailed and dynamic. I really enjoyed the AP with my M2U. I'm currently getting used to my 2 week old Lyr 2 (stock tubes still). I wont lie, I prefer the sound of the M2U to the Lyr 2 with stock tubes. more dynamic, more detailed. not as smooth or effortless, but the gap between the two amps isn't huge with stock tubes. we'll see how tube rolling goes....

so bottom line, you got a killer headphone, and a great amp for it. relax and enjoy!

Thank you!

Looking forward to getting both the amp and the headphones tomorrow!

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #2,171 of 2,891

Hmm well I did research them based off of Head-fi which had a more positive opinion on the AP than reddit.

However, it's surprising to see so many negative opinions on them on reddit which is why I asked in the first place :/

I guess the opinions on the AP are not.. consistent?

It's really strange since based on this review

http://www.head-fi.org/products/mrspeakers-alpha-prime/reviews/11939#comments-title

It's implying the AP are not hard to drive at all.

Also looking at the recent comments by Jimbob Andrews, he also agrees that a strong amp is not necessary.

But yet, there are also people on the other side of the fence that is telling me to get a dedicated external amp for these and a strong source is necessary for the AP.

Since the opinion is so divided.. How do I decide who I should listen to?

Hell... I even got the Magni 2 today in preparation for the AP. Do you think the Magni 2 would be able to drive the Alpha Prime properly?

I'm just so confused right now.. :S any advice would be appreciated

To me, the AP is a little difficult to drive. Not all phones are able to handle them and it will never be as good as a dedicated amp. That being said, both My Asus Padfone New Infinity and iPhone 6S are able to drive it to at least listening pleasure when I bike to work. I also like the combination of the AP and the Chord Hugo. It gives a much better sound stage and lots of details to be heard.  Does the Hugo have a strong amp? I do not think so, but I don't listen at very loud levels although my girlfriend says otherwise.

Don't listen to others, listen yourself! I always think it is best to take reviews and comments with a grain of salt. If you get happy with a certain combination, it will at least sound good to you and keeps you pulling back into the music.

Good luck

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #2,172 of 2,891
  Thank you!

Looking forward to getting both the amp and the headphones tomorrow!

I have the Primes and the vaunted Ether. 

Sure, the Ether is better. But you know what, when I listen to the Primes (which is still often), I keep thinking that they bring something special to the table as well. I just can't give 'em up. 

(And yes, they do benefit from good amplification. They're good without, but great with.) 

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #2,175 of 2,891
Thx zachawry, yes this is something everyone has to make their own mind about it. I am looking do just that during the NY meet. 

@m8o - I just glanced over you comments from two days ago and couldn't resist commenting that Fostex is actually the biggest manufacturer of headphones and headphone drivers in the world, yepp, the 800lb gorilla.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back