MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 20, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #2,131 of 2,891
After having them for a week, I will be directly comparing and contrasting the Sennheiser HD 800 S to the Alpha Primes this weekend. Nothing scientific or worth going on about, of course. But I am excited to put these two magnificent headphones head-to-head with the balanced out of my Liquid Carbon. Summit vs. near-Summit.

It should be a good weekend!

:)

Can't wait!!!

Me either, but I am holding fast to only listening to the HD 800 S for one week. It's hard, but it's as close to fair as I can get for now.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #2,132 of 2,891
  Hi!  I've recently purchased a pair of Alpha Primes and really love them!  They're the best closed-back headphones I've heard!

I have a question - what is a good non-tube DAC/Amp to pair with these?  Budget up to 2k (but preferably around 1k).  I was looking tentatively at Burson's stuff, but I'm really not sure what else is good out there to compare.

Thanks so much for your help!

Why non tube? My personal experience is the primes love tubes! I've paired them up with a musical paradise  mp-d1 dac and both the Icon HP8 mk II tube amp and Doge 6210 mkII amp. Musical Paradise is superb, and both tube amps are significantly better than my solid state cavali audio liquid carbon. Don't discount tubes. You could get the musical paradise and either amp for a lot less than 2k. Tube rolling is a lot of fun, and gives you much more flexibility regarding your sound preferences. 

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #2,133 of 2,891
Hi!  Thanks for your really helpful replies!

Villy - thanks for your welcoming message and your advice about balanced design.  It's definitely a factor I'd overlooked, but no longer!  That Oppo unit does look pretty amazing, but now after reading the replies here, I'm also thinking about separate units (and so it begins, lol).  Do you know where I can get the balanced cable for the Alpha Primes - is there a specifically good one to get?

majormajor - thanks for your advice with the Schiit Audio equipment - these look like a good option if I were to buy separate units as Villy suggested.  I see a few people mentioning the Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon - do you happen to know how this compares with the Schiit gear?

stuart1927 - I love the tube sound too!  I have the WA7 Fireflies and the TP power unit also, currently just with 6C45 Electro Harmonix Gold-pin and NOS RCA 12AU7 clear top tubes, but I'm so happy with that sound.  I'm just looking to expand my current setup with something a bit more work-horsey - something I can leave on for a day and not worry about the tubes busting. Those units, Icon Audio HP8 MkII & Doge 6210 look pretty fantastic - you must know your tubes!  Would you have any recommendations for good alternatives to the 6C45 Electro Harmonix Gold-pin?

Thanks again!

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #2,135 of 2,891

Villy - thanks for your welcoming message and your advice about balanced design.  It's definitely a factor I'd overlooked, but no longer!  That Oppo unit does look pretty amazing, but now after reading the replies here, I'm also thinking about separate units (and so it begins, lol).  Do you know where I can get the balanced cable for the Alpha Primes - is there a specifically good one to get?

majormajor - thanks for your advice with the Schiit Audio equipment - these look like a good option if I were to buy separate units as Villy suggested.  I see a few people mentioning the Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon - do you happen to know how this compares with the Schiit gear?

stuart1927 - I love the tube sound too!  I have the WA7 Fireflies and the TP power unit also, currently just with 6C45 Electro Harmonix Gold-pin and NOS RCA 12AU7 clear top tubes, but I'm so happy with that sound.  I'm just looking to expand my current setup with something a bit more work-horsey - something I can leave on for a day and not worry about the tubes busting. Those units, Icon Audio HP8 MkII & Doge 6210 look pretty fantastic - you must know your tubes!  Would you have any recommendations for good alternatives to the 6C45 Electro Harmonix Gold-pin?

Thanks again!

I haven't heard the LC but it gets almost universally high praise around head-fi, and Dan from MrSpeakers seems to really like how Cavalli stuff pairs with his gear, so I can't imagine you'd be disappointed if you were to grab one.  It'll be pretty hard to resist getting a Spark for myself when that's released.  Might be worth digging into how folks think the LC pairs with Bimby.  IMO it's a pretty magical DAC for the price.

Apr 21, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #2,136 of 2,891
mrderek, I did lots of research also went through a number of components until I settled on a couple of Chinese brands, I think they provide outstanding value compared to American and European companies for some obvious reasons (my main setup is Matrix X-Sabre dac and heavily upgraded Yulong A28 amp, Yulong D200 at the office). With that said, Schiit makes very good products right here in the states, if I were to buy me a new setup now I'd go for their Bifrost Multibit Gungnir dac and Mjolnir 2 amp - the latter is a unique hybrid design that will give you the option to try and roll tubes too, as mentioned tubes sound very musical. I think this could be end-game setup for most music lovers, and many audiophiles too, hard to beat value and quality.

Edit: yes, balanced cables - I'd say the best option is to get one from MrSpeakers, but make sure to check the classifieds here for MrSpeakers/Alpha/Ether XLR (4-pin) cables as listing often appear and it will most likely save you good money. Also, there are number of shops that sell customized cables, google up Alpha/Ether cables and you'll find lots of options (though I'd recommend in this case to get a good look at MrSpeakers Dumm cables first).

And in regards to the Schiit combo I mentioned - let's just say that this is what MrSpeakers himself recommend, so much so that Dan sells them right off his site.

Apr 21, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #2,137 of 2,891

[COLOR=0000FF]Villy[/COLOR] - thanks for your welcoming message and your advice about balanced design.  It's definitely a factor I'd overlooked, but no longer!  That Oppo unit does look pretty amazing, but now after reading the replies here, I'm also thinking about separate units (and so it begins, lol).  Do you know where I can get the balanced cable for the Alpha Primes - is there a specifically good one to get?

[COLOR=0000FF]majormajor[/COLOR] - thanks for your advice with the Schiit Audio equipment - these look like a good option if I were to buy separate units as Villy suggested.  I see a few people mentioning the Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon - do you happen to know how this compares with the Schiit gear?

[COLOR=0000FF]stuart1927[/COLOR] - I love the tube sound too!  I have the WA7 Fireflies and the TP power unit also, currently just with 6C45 Electro Harmonix Gold-pin and NOS RCA 12AU7 clear top tubes, but I'm so happy with that sound.  I'm just looking to expand my current setup with something a bit more work-horsey - something I can leave on for a day and not worry about the tubes busting. Those units, Icon Audio HP8 MkII & Doge 6210 look pretty fantastic - you must know your tubes!  Would you have any recommendations for good alternatives to the 6C45 Electro Harmonix Gold-pin?

Thanks again!
mr Derek I'd recommend the balanced cables from norne audio. Customizable and great quality. They take a while to make but better than the cables offered by Mr speakers.

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #2,139 of 2,891
mr Derek I'd recommend the balanced cables from norne audio. Customizable and great quality. They take a while to make but better than the cables offered by Mr speakers.

+1 on the Norne Cables. 

Yes Trevor at Norne Audio makes some great cables. And it can take a while for cables to be hand crafted by Trevor, but it is worth the wait, because the cables are just exquisite.:).

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #2,140 of 2,891
I just looked over my post from early this morning and realized I must correct  myself - Bifrost Multibit won't do it for balanced setup, the balanced DAC from Schiit's lineup is Gungnir. Sorry of this has created some confusion, or (hopefully not) even worse.

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #2,141 of 2,891
Thank you all for you really helpful information!  I'm in the process of finding places to audition this equipment (I'm in Sydney so not as many options).  Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #2,142 of 2,891
  Thank you all for you really helpful information!  I'm in the process of finding places to audition this equipment (I'm in Sydney so not as many options).  Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

A2A (Addicted to Audio) has a store in sydney I'm sure you can demo alot of dacs/amp theres like Schiit - just bring your Alpha Primes!

Here in Melbourne that is what I did - I bough Alpha Prime from them 14-15 months ago and I brought that to the store and demoed some amps between $500-$1000 and ended up buying Schiit Lyr 2 and got amperex orange globe tubes from Ebay for $100.

Unfortunately the head-fi bug hit my wallet when I happened to browse the 'for-sale' section here and saw a liquid carbon for sale from HK. Did not think I'd have a chance to buy as I read these sell really fast but lucky enough to get the sale done in 1-2 hrs. My liquid carbon had issues with distortion and recently got fixed. I got balanced cables now (ordered from U.S) and if I have to give my honest opinion on the Alpha Primes with my own gear -

Alpha Primes XLR + Liquid Carbon > Alpha Prime S.E + Schiit Lyr 2 (with Amperex Orange Globe Tubes) > Alpha Prime S.E + X-Can V8P (an older headphone amp).

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #2,143 of 2,891
Well, what can I say. With the sole exception of bass impact and presence, down to the lowest octave, the Primes are just out-classed by the HD 800 S.

The funny thing is, I appreciate the Primes even more! What they do, for a closed can, is amazing. I might give them up in favor of the Ether C, but they are a pretty good compliment for the 800 S's. In fact, they have some similar traits, especially with drums and guitar. But the treble on the 800 S's seems somehow smoother, with not even a hint of grain. Also, male voices and vocals on the Primes seem slightly congested, almost "chesty".

In terms of soundstage- it's no contest. This is really apparent on movies and TV shows. But the Primes are not embarrassed. It's just that things seem more closed in to the center, which makes sense. But actual imaging, the placement of instruments, the position of actors, seem much more realistic on the 800 S's. With speakers, I find that's the result of substantial room treatment and speaker placement, along with some judicious EQ. With the 800 S, I think it's the tolerance of the drivers and how well-matched they are, along with the slight slant and position of the drivers, which they claim is more like regular speakers

I ran both balanced on my Liquid Carbon, fed by the Benchmark DAC. The results seemed exactly what I expected, but again, the Primes are no slouch in any area. I'm still quite proud to have them, being upgraded Alpha Dogs and all. They have more "weight" overall, but that is at the expense of fine detail.

I guess the Sennheisers remind me of great speakers, whereas the Primes are simply great headphones. It's just a different experience: but both are really good!

:D

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #2,144 of 2,891
I believe Dan stated they can be drive from an iPhone.
...assuming you have good hearing.

Of all the hp you see in my signature, the Alpha Prime is the least efficient. I am only happy using my strongest amp with it.

But, ymmv given how well you hear.

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #2,145 of 2,891
...assuming you have good hearing.

Of all the hp you see in my signature, the Alpha Prime is the least efficient. I am only happy using my strongest amp with it.

But, ymmv given how well you hear.

Primes vs. MD3.2 please 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back