MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 19, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #1,951 of 2,891
Can you give any insights into difference between Bifrost Uber & Bifrost Multibit SQ/type of sound sig etc?

I'm listening to my Primes through my Geek Out 1000 until my BiMBy returns.

Sorry, I've never owned the Bifrost Uber. From what I've read of others that have had both say the difference is significant. I can say this is true between my Schiit at home vs. my FiiO at work. Clearer, bigger and more lively. Note that I have other stuff in my home system that probably plays a role, too. But I do believe the Bifrost MB plays one of the biggest, FWIW.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #1,952 of 2,891
  Can you give any insights into difference between Bifrost Uber & Bifrost Multibit SQ/type of sound sig etc?

I'm listening to my Primes through my Geek Out 1000 until my BiMBy returns.

I did the upgrade from Uber to Bimby over the holidays and in a word:  more.  More of everything.  Highs are clearer, cleaner, and more energetic without becoming fatiguing.  Lows are deeper, tighter, faster and more expansive without bloat. I found a new appreciation for the lows the Primes can reach after this upgrade.  More air, like the cups of the Primes are somehow sitting about 6 inches away from my ears yet clear as a bell.  I get lost in songs I know well.  More.

What I'm really interested in now is that as I have gotten more used to the Bimby sound, I'm starting to roll tubes and the LISSTs into my Lyr 2, and seeing how the Bimby affects my perceptions of my various tubes' signatures.  Based on what I was reading, I didn't expect to like the LISSTs, thinking that all the solid state-ness together with the extra clarity others attributed to the Bimby would bring harshness or an anodyne quality.   Not the case.  I need to dig a bit farther into my classical and orchestral music in this regard, but so far all of the jazz and acoustic guitar stuff I know and love sounds fantastic with the LISSTs in the mix with the Bimby.  When I roll in my Ediswans, Durutti Column's Dry album sounds like it's in a hazy, smoky lounge and I'm sitting in the back soaking up all the harmonics and depth; when I roll the LISSTs in, it's like I'm in a quiet coffee house right up front, hearing Vini Reilly's pick on the strings and everything is immediate, visceral.  

I still have some Telefunkens and Heerlens to roll in, too.  Damned excited about having a longer listening session this weekend.  

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #1,954 of 2,891
Has anyone compared the Alpha Primes to the Beyerdynamic DT1770? Are the Beyers in the same class?

I want the Primes, but I'm able to get a really good deal on the Beyers.

I have a pair of Primes arriving later this week, so I'll be able to tell you next week.

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #1,955 of 2,891
  Alpha Primes are worth the extra money over the Alpha Dogs IMO. I prefer them to the Ether/C as well, especially considering the price difference.

How are the Primes better than the Alpha Dogs? It seems to be easier to get a hold of the Alpha Dogs. The Primes rarely go on sale, and brand new, they're out of my price range. 

Also: Is anyone driving their Alpha Dogs or Primes via the Oppo HA-2? I'm worried it might not have enough juice. 

Oppo amp's specs, from their website:
Recommended Headphone Impedance16 Ohm - 300 Ohm
Maximum Headphone Output Power300 mW into 16 Ohm
220 mW into 32 Ohm
30 mW into 300 Ohm

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #1,956 of 2,891
How are the Primes better than the Alpha Dogs? It seems to be easier to get a hold of the Alpha Dogs. The Primes rarely go on sale, and brand new, they're out of my price range. 

Also: Is anyone driving their Alpha Dogs or Primes via the Oppo HA-2? I'm worried it might not have enough juice. 

220 mW into 32 Ohm

30 mW into 300 Ohm

My experience is that the Primes sound more detailed and articulate, with better soundstage, bass and treble extension. Really just more refined across the board. It's not the difference a cable upgrade makes--the upgrade to the Prime is easy to hear.

Also, I think you'll need a more powerful amp than what you posted.

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #1,957 of 2,891
My experience is that the Primes sound more detailed and articulate, with better soundstage, bass and treble extension. Really just more refined across the board. It's not the difference a cable upgrade makes--the upgrade to the Prime is easy to hear.

Also, I think you'll need a more powerful amp than what you posted.

Good information, thanks. 

The power requirements are holding me back. If I sprung for the Primes, I'd need to upgrade my amp at home, which I'm not ready to do.

I'll just hold off on these for now. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #1,958 of 2,891
The primes are great, but are pretty difficult to drive. The impedence rating is misleading. The cavali LC drives them well, but my Valhalla 2 isn't up to the jo unfortunately. I think the primes are rated at 50 ohms (?), which is strange as the senheisser 598's are the same impedence, but relatively easy to drive. I guess the planars are just harder to drive.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #1,960 of 2,891
The primes are great, but are pretty difficult to drive. The impedence rating is misleading. The cavali LC drives them well, but my Valhalla 2 isn't up to the jo unfortunately. I think the primes are rated at 50 ohms (?), which is strange as the senheisser 598's are the same impedence, but relatively easy to drive. I guess the planars are just harder to drive.

Sensitivity is usually a better indicator of drivability than the ohm rating, so that's why I asked. The Beyerdynamic T70 is rated at 250 ohms, but no more difficult to drive than the 62-ohm AKG K7XX or the 35-ohm HE-400i. 

I think the AKGs are actually the most difficult to drive of the three, but the Beyers and the Hifimans are pretty close. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #1,961 of 2,891

Good information, thanks. 

The power requirements are holding me back. If I sprung for the Primes, I'd need to upgrade my amp at home, which I'm not ready to do.

I'll just hold off on these for now. 

Yeah, right now I'm using a Mjolnir with my planars, and I'm really happy with it. Used Mjolnir is a great way to go if you want to be able to confidently drive planars on a budget. I also hear the Liquid Carbon is great; too bad ordering is closed. I believe the Gustard H10 is another fairly popular choice for those looking for an amp with some power for a decent price.

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #1,962 of 2,891
Sorry, I've never owned the Bifrost Uber. From what I've read of others that have had both say the difference is significant. I can say this is true between my Schiit at home vs. my FiiO at work. Clearer, bigger and more lively. Note that I have other stuff in my home system that probably plays a role, too. But I do believe the Bifrost MB plays one of the biggest, FWIW.

Thanks.  Yeah I noticed a big difference between my Bifrost Uber with Lyr2 & Geek Out 1000.

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #1,963 of 2,891

I did the upgrade from Uber to Bimby over the holidays and in a word:  more.  More of everything.  Highs are clearer, cleaner, and more energetic without becoming fatiguing.  Lows are deeper, tighter, faster and more expansive without bloat. I found a new appreciation for the lows the Primes can reach after this upgrade.  More air, like the cups of the Primes are somehow sitting about 6 inches away from my ears yet clear as a bell.  I get lost in songs I know well.  More.

What I'm really interested in now is that as I have gotten more used to the Bimby sound, I'm starting to roll tubes and the LISSTs into my Lyr 2, and seeing how the Bimby affects my perceptions of my various tubes' signatures.  Based on what I was reading, I didn't expect to like the LISSTs, thinking that all the solid state-ness together with the extra clarity others attributed to the Bimby would bring harshness or an anodyne quality.   Not the case.  I need to dig a bit farther into my classical and orchestral music in this regard, but so far all of the jazz and acoustic guitar stuff I know and love sounds fantastic with the LISSTs in the mix with the Bimby.  When I roll in my Ediswans, Durutti Column's Dry album sounds like it's in a hazy, smoky lounge and I'm sitting in the back soaking up all the harmonics and depth; when I roll the LISSTs in, it's like I'm in a quiet coffee house right up front, hearing Vini Reilly's pick on the strings and everything is immediate, visceral.  

I still have some Telefunkens and Heerlens to roll in, too.  Damned excited about having a longer listening session this weekend.  

Thanks for the info, It sounds like a very decent improvement.  I love my Amperex Bugle Boy tubes so not sure if LISST is for me. I like lush open sound rather than intimate closer sound (if that makes sense!)

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #1,964 of 2,891

​Well, I received BiMBy back this evening from Mark @ Electromod in UK (he offered a great service) & I'm so far delighted with the upgrade from Uber.  Everything you said in your first paragraph I agree with.  It's like there is more "Slam" behind the delivery, and definitely agree regarding air, clarity and the improved lows. I too am excited about an extended music session this Saturday :)

Jan 22, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #1,965 of 2,891

220 mW into 32 Ohm
30 mW into 300 Ohm

I have an HA-2. I can't say one way or the other if you think it will be good enough of an amp for the Primes, but they drive my Primes fine. Listening pretty loud out of an ipod touch 6gen with the HA-2 dial at 4. 

I've never been a participant in Amp discussions because I don't typically hold the same opinion as most here. For me, if I can't max out the Amp due to volume being too loud, then the Amp drives the headphones fine. The HA-2 does that....to my ears. Take that with a grain of salt.

I also have an old Headamp Desktop Amp/Dac, and those drive the Primes fine also. When I read comments regarding 500 dollar amps not being enough to drive headphones it boggles my mind. As long as you aren't maxxing the amp out, or it feels like it is stressed, and there is power to spare behind the phones...I say they do the job.

Varying sound signatures and good pairings are a whole 'nother topic, but as far as capability goes....yea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back