MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 20, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #1,593 of 2,891
I'm probably going to just keep mine for a while.  I really like them.  After a while, they will either settle in at a fairly constant value, or go the route of the Denon D2/5/7000's that shot up in value when they were no longer available except on the used market.  I had been considering selling them to fund the Ether, and keeping an inferior but nice pair of closed headphones.  It looks like the Ether will be around for quite a while, so I'm in no hurry.  The Ether is so good I want one (I have spent a bit of quality time with them).  The Primes are so good that I don't mind waiting a while.

May 20, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #1,594 of 2,891
Got off work, drove home and found my new Alpha Prime headphone in my chair. Tonight should be a good night.
tho it takes mmmany many hours until they loosen up and sound best.

May 21, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #1,596 of 2,891
I've never had a hp that 'evolved' ( for the better ) more than these. I was sure I'd sell these. Now am pretty sure I won't.

May 21, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #1,598 of 2,891
So I have had the primes for a day now and my initial impressions, they are a lot different than I was expecting. They are brighter, which I like, they have less impact and quantity in bass than I was expecting but they also made me better understand having tight bass. To me it sounds very controlled. and the clarity, I am not ashamed to say that i fell in love with how clear these are. Not meant to be a review just another excitement/hype post 
smily_headphones1.gif
. Im curious as to how my brain adapt to these as time goes on but for now they will stay glued around it.

May 21, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #1,599 of 2,891
  So I have had the primes for a day now and my initial impressions, they are a lot different than I was expecting. They are brighter, which I like, they have less impact and quantity in bass than I was expecting but they also made me better understand having tight bass. To me it sounds very controlled. and the clarity, I am not ashamed to say that i fell in love with how clear these are. Not meant to be a review just another excitement/hype post 
smily_headphones1.gif
. Im curious as to how my brain adapt to these as time goes on but for now they will stay glued around it.

I took a quick peek at your profile - the Primes should meet or exceed the HD600's bass impact and extension if I recall correctly.  It is worth checking to be sure you have a good seal.  A couple of hints:

1) Make sure the headband is extended far enough, so that the bottom of the ear cup can seal correctly.  I started out by running them down far enough the the top of my ear touched on each cup, then brough each cup up just a bit.  Both cups were extended further than I would have thought was needed.

2) With no music playing, and the headphones on, and hopefully sealed, take your thumb and index finger, and rub them together as you hold them next to the cups, right where they should be sealing to your face.  You should not be able to hear anything.  I will occasionally hear a very faint sound, but it is through the cups.  Repeat without the headphones on, or just lift one cup and try it, to get a good idea of the volume when the cups are not sealed.

Past this, I'd refer you back to Mr. Speakers as the expert in getting a good seal with these.

Past that, the bass stays where it belongs, and doesn't intrude up into the mids.  I'm glad you are enjoying them.

May 21, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #1,600 of 2,891
I took a quick peek at your profile - the Primes should meet or exceed the HD600's bass impact and extension if I recall correctly.  It is worth checking to be sure you have a good seal.  A couple of hints:

1) Make sure the headband is extended far enough, so that the bottom of the ear cup can seal correctly.  I started out by running them down far enough the the top of my ear touched on each cup, then brough each cup up just a bit.  Both cups were extended further than I would have thought was needed.

2) With no music playing, and the headphones on, and hopefully sealed, take your thumb and index finger, and rub them together as you hold them next to the cups, right where they should be sealing to your face.  You should not be able to hear anything.  I will occasionally hear a very faint sound, but it is through the cups.  Repeat without the headphones on, or just lift one cup and try it, to get a good idea of the volume when the cups are not sealed.

Past this, I'd refer you back to Mr. Speakers as the expert in getting a good seal with these.

Past that, the bass stays where it belongs, and doesn't intrude up into the mids.  I'm glad you are enjoying them.

Thanks for the tips. I believe I am getting a good seal, the bass is by no means lacking just different than I was expecting. This is my first planer and first high end can and I expected the faster nature of the driver to make the bass more impactful, but it gets clean and for once does not sound bloated Or farty. I will of coarse continue to play with them but they don't extend as far down as I would have thought. To me it seems around 30hz they start leaving it out. That being said, when the track allows the soundstage is great, vocals are clEan and the highs I just love. For now they, to me, seem likethey take the good of the hd598 and add more bass just as a rude comparison. I cant wait to really get some hours on these and start playing with the dots later on as well as the settings on the m8. Right now I can make the primes sound perfect using the switches on the back of the m8 but I want to play them as is for 100hr or so before I try making a Setting to get used to their natural sound. I'm also surprised as to how they sound just straight from a phone. Obviously it's not at its potential but it still sounds quite nice. A friend of mine has the beyrdynamic custom pro one and I would put these around that quality when running straight from a phone. And I really like his headphones, especially for the price.

May 21, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #1,601 of 2,891
Thanks for the tips. I believe I am getting a good seal, the bass is by no means lacking just different than I was expecting. This is my first planer and first high end can and I expected the faster nature of the driver to make the bass more impactful, but it gets clean and for once does not sound bloated Or farty. I will of coarse continue to play with them but they don't extend as far down as I would have thought. To me it seems around 30hz they start leaving it out. That being said, when the track allows the soundstage is great, vocals are clEan and the highs I just love. For now they, to me, seem likethey take the good of the hd598 and add more bass just as a rude comparison. I cant wait to really get some hours on these and start playing with the dots later on as well as the settings on the m8. Right now I can make the primes sound perfect using the switches on the back of the m8 but I want to play them as is for 100hr or so before I try making a Setting to get used to their natural sound. I'm also surprised as to how they sound just straight from a phone. Obviously it's not at its potential but it still sounds quite nice. A friend of mine has the beyrdynamic custom pro one and I would put these around that quality when running straight from a phone. And I really like his headphones, especially for the price.

Agreed.  A phone doesn't do them justice, but it isn't all that bad.

May 21, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #1,603 of 2,891
tell me about it. I just bought Chicago Transit Authority & Chicago 2 in 24/192. I can't belive it took all these years for me to get them. It did take a few weeks for the midrange to come forward and I would say the burble of the brass is evolving.

If that is the case, I am in for a treat. Love the sound so far. Easily the best sounding Closed headphones I have ever had. Stumbled upon some Chicago last night and could not believe how good the horns sounded.

May 23, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #1,604 of 2,891
So quick question at the current price does anything else even come close closed or open?

I thought long and hard about the ether however at this price it is 600 bones more than the primes.

Will the CLAS Duet be able to drive them correctly in balanced mode?

May 23, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #1,605 of 2,891
  I'm probably going to just keep mine for a while.  I really like them.  After a while, they will either settle in at a fairly constant value, or go the route of the Denon D2/5/7000's that shot up in value when they were no longer available except on the used market.  I had been considering selling them to fund the Ether, and keeping an inferior but nice pair of closed headphones.  It looks like the Ether will be around for quite a while, so I'm in no hurry.  The Ether is so good I want one (I have spent a bit of quality time with them).  The Primes are so good that I don't mind waiting a while.

Ya, I was planning on selling my Primes for ETHERs as well, but will hang on to them for a little longer until the 2nd market price stabilizes after they are sell out.  I look at it like getting your flight canceled while you're stuck in Maui or something.. not at a bad outcome, all things considered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back