MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 16, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #1,577 of 2,891
, Quote:
Octave ii? Not mkii?

i didn't pay attention to the nomenclature.  a new successor to the octave.  ii or mkii, i don't know.  i think they're also coming out with a new hex, which doesn't thrill me since i got my hex only 2.5 mos ago.

May 16, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #1,579 of 2,891
And is it only for classical or any other types of genres? Thx

i only listen to classical and jazz, so that's all i can say.  you'll have to find other reviewers/owners to say what the metrum chain is like for other genres.

May 16, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #1,580 of 2,891
there's a lot of discussion of the hd800 on the aurix thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/689743/metrum-acoustics-aurix

i haven't seen anything about the primes from the aurix except for my own post

May 19, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #1,581 of 2,891
With Dan announcing the end of the TP50 driver and offering some great deals on the current lineup, I'm tempted to get a Prime. I have a set of Audeze LCD-X and while those are open and the Prime is closed, it seems that many people compare these headphones as having a somewhat similar sound so I'm wondering if I should even be considering the Prime since I already have the LCD-X's?

May 19, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #1,582 of 2,891
  With Dan announcing the end of the TP50 driver and offering some great deals on the current lineup, I'm tempted to get a Prime. I have a set of Audeze LCD-X and while those are open and the Prime is closed, it seems that many people compare these headphones as having a somewhat similar sound so I'm wondering if I should even be considering the Prime since I already have the LCD-X's?

The Prime is quite a bit more comfortable to me.  If you want or need a closed can, the Prime is the way to go at that price range ($1000), so the sale makes it a killer deal.  The sale also completely hosed my plans of selling my Prime and trading up to the Ether, as it cut a big chunk out of my sale price!  Oh well, bad for me, great for everyone else!

May 19, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #1,583 of 2,891

The Prime is quite a bit more comfortable to me.  If you want or need a closed can, the Prime is the way to go at that price range ($1000), so the sale makes it a killer deal.  The sale also completely hosed my plans of selling my Prime and trading up to the Ether, as it cut a big chunk out of my sale price!  Oh well, bad for me, great for everyone else!

Geez Aaron, you have a bit of hard luck recently! Hope that turns around soon. And thanks for your input. It is a good deal.

May 19, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #1,584 of 2,891
  Geez Aaron, you have a bit of hard luck recently! Hope that turns around soon. And thanks for your input. It is a good deal.

Hah!  I wouldn't call it bad luck.  I'll end up keeping the Primes and finding another way to generate funds for the Ether.  The Primes are a really nice headphone.

(oh, and yes, I caught and appreciated the well contained sarcasm.  Well done sarcasm is a vanishing art!)
beerchug.gif

May 19, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #1,585 of 2,891

Hah!  I wouldn't call it bad luck.  I'll end up keeping the Primes and finding another way to generate funds for the Ether.  The Primes are a really nice headphone.

(oh, and yes, I caught and appreciated the well contained sarcasm.  Well done sarcasm is a vanishing art!)
beerchug.gif

I honestly didn't mean it to be sarcastic in this instance. I appreciate your input here and responses on my other post. However I do love sarcasm. You're right, you can't go wrong keeping the Prime especially since you like them so much. I'm tottering on the fence.

May 19, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #1,586 of 2,891

(oh, and yes, I caught and appreciated the well contained sarcasm.  Well done sarcasm is a vanishing art!):beerchug:

+1 The primes are a great headphone and the sale price is very nice indeed.

May 19, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #1,587 of 2,891

I honestly didn't mean it to be sarcastic in this instance. I appreciate your input here and responses on my other post. However I do love sarcasm. You're right, you can't go wrong keeping the Prime especially since you like them so much. I'm tottering on the fence.

You are a natural then, and I mean that in a good way, if there is one...  Anything I can do to push you over the edge?  A week ago, you'd would have had to pay nearly that to try them out used....  I've been bouncing back and forth between the PM-1's, PM-3's and the Primes.  I am kind of floored every time I put the primes back on.  I just really like them, and closed headphones are what I need most of the time.  The down side?  You look like a WWII Bombardier with a penchant for maroon.  Unless you get the black cups, then you just look like a WWII Bombardier...

May 19, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #1,588 of 2,891

You are a natural then, and I mean that in a good way, if there is one...  Anything I can do to push you over the edge?  A week ago, you'd would have had to pay nearly that to try them out used....  I've been bouncing back and forth between the PM-1's, PM-3's and the Primes.  I am kind of floored every time I put the primes back on.  I just really like them, and closed headphones are what I need most of the time.  The down side?  You look like a WWII Bombardier with a penchant for maroon.  Unless you get the black cups, then you just look like a WWII Bombardier...

LOL! Yeah, it doesn't win any awards for aesthetics, for sure. But sound is paramount. I've only tried the PM-1's at a meet last year and was underwhelmed by them. So it's good to know the Prime is a better can to you. How much power do they need to run well? Is the Prime mostly a good desktop/main stereo headphone or could a good DAP run them?

May 19, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #1,589 of 2,891
LOL! Yeah, it doesn't win any awards for aesthetics, for sure. But sound is paramount. I've only tried the PM-1's at a meet last year and was underwhelmed by them. So it's good to know the Prime is a better can to you. How much power do they need to run well? Is the Prime mostly a good desktop/main stereo headphone or could a good DAP run them?

They aren't ugly, just big. I ran the AD's from an ibasso pb2 and a centrance HIFI M-8 very well, I suspect the Primes would do as well. An iPhone doesn't do them justice and a nice modest (or insanely TOTL) desktop rig is best imho.

May 19, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #1,590 of 2,891

They aren't ugly, just big. I ran the AD's from an ibasso pb2 and a centrance HIFI M-8 very well, I suspect the Primes would do as well. An iPhone doesn't do them justice and a nice modest (or insanely TOTL) desktop rig is best imho.

Good to know. I have a Sony NW-ZX2 which drives the LCD-X pretty well but for a planar it's a pretty easy headphone to drive. I wouldn't use the Prime often with a DAP, but curious about the option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back