MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 3, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #1,336 of 2,891
Apparently, it's pretty decent... for the five minutes you manage to keep it on your head without the excruciating pain on top of your scalp and in your neck.

I don't own one or heard one :)

Cool, I have worn heavy helmets and what not, so wearing a two pound headphone, for over two hours, makes my neck squeal like a pig lol. I would love to demo a pair, however 8000 dollar price, is just too much for my wallet.

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #1,337 of 2,891
Now I'm thinking 2qute > liquid gold > prime. Damn it. Why did I have to go to can jam and listen to all this really nice stuff.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #1,338 of 2,891
Now I'm thinking 2qute > liquid gold > prime. Damn it. Why did I have to go to can jam and listen to all this really nice stuff.

At the last NYC meet I heard Prime with both Vega/Liqid Gold and Gungnir/Crimson setups Dan had and prefer Gungnir/Crimson setup. I also enjoyed Prime with LIO which I think is a better investment in the long run. I also got chance to to hear Prime with Vega/Crimson setup but because of so little difference I can't justify the cost especially compared to the cost of Gungnir/Crimson. I was almost ready to get Crimson and use HA-1 as a DAC only, as I was doing for a while anyway , but after hearing LIO I understood it not going to work

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #1,339 of 2,891
At the last NYC meet I heard Prime with both Vega/Liqid Gold and Gungnir/Crimson setups Dan had and prefer Gungnir/Crimson setup. I also enjoyed Prime with LIO which I think is a better investment in the long run. I also got chance to to hear Prime with Vega/Crimson setup but because of so little difference I can't justify the cost especially compared to the cost of Gungnir/Crimson. I was almost ready to get Crimson and use HA-1 as a DAC only, as I was doing for a while anyway , but after hearing LIO I understood it not going to work

What is the sound signature like in the LIO, why would you pick this over the liquid gold?   I've never even heard of the LIO.

I think the ultimate sound I'm looking for.. and will be chasing for awhile, is a hugo dac > liquid lightning SS > stax 009 setup. $13K is a bit much to drop on an office rig.. and unfortunately open can and I like to blast music.. which is why I keep coming back to the Primes. I'm poisoned by the memories of how good everything sounded at canjam.

What are you thinking about for a DAC now?

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #1,340 of 2,891

What is the sound signature like in the LIO, why would you pick this over the liquid gold?   I've never even heard of the LIO.

I think the ultimate sound I'm looking for.. and will be chasing for awhile, is a hugo dac > liquid lightning SS > stax 009 setup. $13K is a bit much to drop on an office rig.. and unfortunately open can and I like to blast music.. which is why I keep coming back to the Primes. I'm poisoned by the memories of how good everything sounded at canjam.

What are you thinking about for a DAC now?

I got LIO which in my case has DAC and a tube module which works with volume control and since it's modular you can add features or upgrade as you see fit

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #1,341 of 2,891

Great closed cans are such a hard thing to find. I found this site four years ago in search of such a thing, and still searching.

I dunno man, I generally agree with a lot you write, but on this one, and the earlier reference to the Primes not being in the same league as the upper Hifiman/Audeze/Sennheiser camp I just can't buy.  I personally rate the Primes above great, and trading strenght for weakness across the board, I find that they hang in there with the old guard just fine.  Not in soundstage- no way.  But timbre, accuracy, and detail I give the edge to the Primes due entirely to the smoothness across the spectrum.  Detail without making me wince in pain is always a great thing for my ears!

I don't know of a closed can that exceeds anything the Primes have to offer.

Just my opinion of course...

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #1,342 of 2,891
I dunno man, I generally agree with a lot you write, but on this one, and the earlier reference to the Primes not being in the same league as the upper Hifiman/Audeze/Sennheiser camp I just can't buy.  I personally rate the Primes above great, and trading strenght for weakness across the board, I find that they hang in there with the old guard just fine.  Not in soundstage- no way.  But timbre, accuracy, and detail I give the edge to the Primes due entirely to the smoothness across the spectrum.  Detail without making me wince in pain is always a great thing for my ears!

+1 what he said. The primes are just fantastic. That is why I went and ordered Dan's new open backed headphone, the ETHER. But as closed back cans, the Prime's are just fabulous.:)

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #1,343 of 2,891

have you gotten a chance to do some direct comparisons against some of the other flagships? i'm actually getting a prime so see how it holds up against the he-560 & lcd-x.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #1,344 of 2,891
have you gotten a chance to do some direct comparisons against some of the other flagships? i'm actually getting a prime so see how it holds up against the he-560 & lcd-x.

Cool I am looking forward to your impressions on the Primes, LCD-X and HE-560 cans. Although I am hesitant to compare open backed cans to closed back. Hope yea have a good night jamming out.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #1,345 of 2,891

Hey Money!  Miss you dude,  Same to you Reddog.  Heck, I miss all y'all, even the dudes and dudettes I haven't met yet.

Money, you ol Pirate, that's a fair point and I sure should have disclosed it.  I had the 560's for a while with the Tour, and the Primes came after.  HD800 was a long time ago, as well as the Beyer T1.  Precise audio memory is measured in seconds in a lot of ways.  So, it's more accurate to write that my reaction to the Primes is on par with TOTL cans I've heard.  I can tell you I was real tempted to get the HD800's when Sweetwater was offering 36 months, no interest. 

Okay, back to studying.  School is kicking my butt!  No time to visit here lately.  It would eat into my Prime Time (I've wanted to write that for months, he he)

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #1,346 of 2,891
Cool I am looking forward to your impressions on the Primes, LCD-X and HE-560 cans. Although I am hesitant to compare open backed cans to closed back. Hope yea have a good night jamming out.

hahah yea, i also have the closed pm-3 and will be receiving the closed k553 & EL-8 to do a comparison against some closed reference points. only ones I think I am missing is the step-down mr. speaker models & the fostex th600 (but those noise isolate pretty poorly so not really closed imo). anyone else have any suggestions for good closed headphones that would be useful as a reference point while writing a review?

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #1,347 of 2,891
  Hey Money!  Miss you dude,  Same to you Reddog.  Heck, I miss all y'all, even the dudes and dudettes I haven't met yet.

Money, you ol Pirate, that's a fair point and I sure should have disclosed it.  I had the 560's for a while with the Tour, and the Primes came after.  HD800 was a long time ago, as well as the Beyer T1.  Precise audio memory is measured in seconds in a lot of ways.  So, it's more accurate to write that my reaction to the Primes is on par with TOTL cans I've heard.  I can tell you I was real tempted to get the HD800's when Sweetwater was offering 36 months, no interest. 

Okay, back to studying.  School is kicking my butt!  No time to visit here lately.  It would eat into my Prime Time (I've wanted to write that for months, he he)

hahah argh matey! good luck w/ your studying :wink:

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #1,348 of 2,891
  hahah argh matey! good luck w/ your studying :wink:

Dang dude, 4252 posts?!

I take it I've missed a thing or two...

Okay, 10 more minutes with the Primes.  Opeth never sounded so good!

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #1,349 of 2,891

Reddog, I can't split without saying hey!

And BTW, the strongest point for me is that they do go toe to tow with open back headphones.  I never feel like I'm sacrificing soundstage or openness with them, and the bass is on par with old favorites like the HFM HE-5LE in impact, but far more control.

I think the biggest surprise for me is the combination of the Modi/Magni with the Primes.  That combo hits well above its weight class, fer sher.  They sing like a veritable "Muse of Fire"

C'ya later.  Out!

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #1,350 of 2,891
Reddog, I can't split without saying hey!

And BTW, the strongest point for me is that they do go toe to tow with open back headphones.  I never feel like I'm sacrificing soundstage or openness with them, and the bass is on par with old favorites like the HFM HE-5LE in impact, but far more control.

I think the biggest surprise for me is the combination of the Modi/Magni with the Primes.  That combo hits well above its weight class, fer sher.  They sing like a veritable "Muse of Fire"

C'ya later.  Out!

Have a good one and may your Primes sing like a muse of fire. I can not wait for the ETHER's to come out. Hope they make the muse faint from the synergy lol.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back