MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 2, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #1,321 of 2,891
I'm seriously debating getting a chord tt, cavalli carbon and a set of primes.. someone talk me out of it...

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #1,322 of 2,891
  I'm seriously debating getting a chord tt, cavalli carbon and a set of primes.. someone talk me out of it...

Get the Cavalli Carbon, but don't go near the TT. So many other amps sound much better than that overpriced thing. It's literally a regular Hugo (which is half the price) with a transformer.

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #1,323 of 2,891

Get the Cavalli Carbon, but don't go near the TT. So many other amps sound much better than that overpriced thing. It's literally a regular Hugo (which is half the price) with a transformer.

how about an auralic vega? or maybe I should just wait for the 2qute.. I just.. really liked the sound of the TT when i heard it at can jam... but.. sigh. It is really expensive.. Maybe I should get a crimson instead with the money I'll save.

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #1,324 of 2,891
  how about an auralic vega? 

Honestly, the Auralic Vega is perhaps one of the best DACs ever. I'd still wouldn't spend that much on a DAC and so little on an amp. The amp makes a bigger difference.

Get a Schiit Yggdrasil and Ragnarok or the Cavalli Carbon, and reconsider your Prime purchase and buy an actual TOTL headphones from Audeze, Hifiman or Sennheiser. If you want DAT bass and generally dark sound that opens up with the Carbon or Rag, get the Audeze LCD-2/LCD-3 or the LCD-X for a more neutral sound. Or the Sennheiser HD800 with a Schiit Valhalla 2.

Don't spend an insane amount of money on DACs thinking the price results in a better product. Read around and buy something that's universally considered good or actually try a few DACs.

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #1,325 of 2,891
  Honestly, the Auralic Vega is perhaps one of the best DACs ever. I'd still wouldn't spend that much on a DAC and so little on an amp. The amp makes a bigger difference.

Get a Schiit Yggdrasil and Ragnarok or the Cavalli Carbon, and reconsider your Prime purchase and buy an actual TOTL headphones from Audeze, Hifiman or Sennheiser. If you want DAT bass and generally dark sound that opens up with the Carbon or Rag, get the Audeze LCD-2/LCD-3 or the LCD-X for a more neutral sound. Or the Sennheiser HD800 with a Schiit Valhalla 2.

Don't spend an insane amount of money on DACs thinking the price results in a better product. Read around and buy something that's universally considered good or actually try a few DACs.

I listened to all of these at canjam :)  I need closed cans for the office.
Maybe I should just wait for the 2qute.. I just.. really liked the sound of the TT when i heard it at can jam... but.. sigh. It is really expensive.. Maybe I should get a crimson instead with the money I'll save paired with a dac at around that price point.

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #1,326 of 2,891
  I listened to all of these at canjam :)  I need closed cans for the office.
Maybe I should just wait for the 2qute.. I just.. really liked the sound of the TT when i heard it at can jam... but.. sigh. It is really expensive.. Maybe I should get a crimson instead with the money I'll save paired with a dac at around that price point.

I just feel that the general impression of many whose opinions I trust, and my own impressions, is that the Hugo products across the line are severely overpriced, but they do provide great performance. 

Great closed cans are such a hard thing to find. I found this site four years ago in search of such a thing, and still searching.

And Cavalli Crimson is a phenomenon amp. The Carbon is amazing value though.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #1,327 of 2,891

I just feel that the general impression of many whose opinions I trust, and my own impressions, is that the Hugo products across the line are severely overpriced, but they do provide great performance. 

Great closed cans are such a hard thing to find. I found this site four years ago in search of such a thing, and still searching.

And Cavalli Crimson is a phenomenon amp. The Carbon is amazing value though.

The best closed headphones I have found so far IMO are the McIntosh MHP1000 with the Primes as a close second at half the price.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 2, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #1,328 of 2,891
does anyone have any impressions of these vs the mad dog pro? been searching and havent really seen any

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #1,329 of 2,891

You could skip the primes and get MrSpeakers TOTL headphones the ETHER.

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #1,330 of 2,891
You could skip the primes and get MrSpeakers TOTL headphones the ETHER.

lol closed vs open. really depends on what he needs. the alpha prime is their totl closed.

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #1,331 of 2,891
lol closed vs open. really depends on what he needs. the alpha prime is their totl closed.

I need closed for the office. basically 009 or hd800s closed... and with more bass :)
maybe... I am destined for LCD-XC

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #1,332 of 2,891
  I need closed for the office. basically 009 or hd800s closed... and with more bass :)
maybe... I am destined for LCD-XC

hahah start doing neck exercises now if that is your destiny :wink: those are probably the heaviest headphones in existence.

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #1,334 of 2,891
At nearly 2 pounds, the Final Audio Muramasa VIII ($8,000) begs to differ :wink:

Egads 2 pounds lol. How does this chiropractor's vacation maker sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back