MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 28, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,307 of 2,891
Sure thing will be glad to write my impressions on the Ether. I am hoping to get the Yggdrasil towards the end of June or beginning of July. I would very much like to do a impressions on how the Yggdrasil and Ragnarok drive the Ether and Alpha Prime's.

I would really like to read your impressions as well, Reddog. I'm excited that you are buying the Ether. 

Before I spend more on headphones, I think I'm going to pick up a better amp and DAC. And I'm really leaning towards the Rag and Yggdrasil. I don't think that my Asgard 2/Bifrost is doing any favors to my LCD-X. It's not bad, it actually sounds pretty good - but I believe that these headphones are capable of much more than what I currently hear.

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #1,308 of 2,891
I would really like to read your impressions as well, Reddog. I'm excited that you are buying the Ether. 

Before I spend more on headphones, I think I'm going to pick up a better amp and DAC. And I'm really leaning towards the Rag and Yggdrasil. I don't think that my Asgard 2/Bifrost is doing any favors to my LCD-X. It's not bad, it actually sounds pretty good - but I believe that these headphones are capable of much more than what I currently hear.

The Rag is just fantastic. I used the Asgard 2 a lot this week and was happy with it. However I had time to use the rag, to listen to the same cd's and I was just blown away by the deep textured bass, the lush, yet textured mids. And of course, the treble has this sweet non sibilant sparkle., that makes the sound so musical to my ears. And great bass, mids and treble all help make the soundstage open up and seem very holographic. I wish the rag was lighter, and I would bring that to the hospital, to visit my mom.:)

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #1,309 of 2,891
The Rag is just fantastic. I used the Asgard 2 a lot this week and was happy with it. However I had time to use the rag, to listen to the same cd's and I was just blown away by the deep textured bass, the lush, yet textured mids. And of course, the treble has this sweet non sibilant sparkle., that makes the sound so musical to my ears. And great bass, mids and treble all help make the soundstage open up and seem very holographic. I wish the rag was lighter, and I would bring that to the hospital, to visit my mom.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't want to do de-rail this thread too much,  but maybe I could  ask if you notice the difference between the Asgard 2 and the Rag - if you AB them with nothing else changed? Does changing the amp to the Rag cause the headphones to open up more?

I ask because I'm a little bit worried that upgrading to the Rag will definitely allow me to run speakers from it, But will it do the one thing I want more than anything... and that's to open up the sound of my headphones even more with both my Mad Dog Pro and the LCD-X. I'm worried that what I have is already as good as it basically is going to get.

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #1,310 of 2,891
I don't want to do de-rail this thread too much,  but maybe I could  ask if you notice the difference between the Asgard 2 and the Rag - if you AB them with nothing else changed? Does changing the amp to the Rag cause the headphones to open up more?

I ask because I'm a little bit worried that upgrading to the Rag will definitely allow me to run speakers from it, But will it do the one thing I want more than anything... and that's to open up the sound of my headphones even more with both my Mad Dog Pro and the LCD-X. I'm worried that what I have is already as good as it basically is going to get.

Yes I feel the Ragnarok in balanced mode will open up the sound out of your LCD-X's. And the rag should make your Mad DOG Pro's howl at the moon. I have not used my rag to drive speakers yet.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #1,312 of 2,891
The Rag is just fantastic. I used the Asgard 2 a lot this week and was happy with it. However I had time to use the rag, to listen to the same cd's and I was just blown away by the deep textured bass, the lush, yet textured mids. And of course, the treble has this sweet non sibilant sparkle., that makes the sound so musical to my ears. And great bass, mids and treble all help make the soundstage open up and seem very holographic. I wish the rag was lighter, and I would bring that to the hospital, to visit my mom.
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you suggesting that the Asgard 2 was not designed to be audibly transparent or is either the Rag or Asgard somehow coloring the sound rather than just amplifying the signal? 

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #1,313 of 2,891
Are you suggesting that the Asgard 2 was not designed to be audibly transparent or is either the Rag or Asgard somehow coloring the sound rather than just amplifying the signal? 
The Asgard 2 is very nice, but its sound signature is outclassed by the Ragnarok. The sound is not coloured, just more detailed, textured. I feel my Fiio E12, with its bass boost, colours the sound. That is how my ears hear it and I do not feel all amps sound the same.

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #1,314 of 2,891
Reddog is right, but synergy is just as important too. I think the Asgard 2 sounds much better paired with my 94' Theta DS Pro Progeny than Bifrost Uber. DAC's generally have a more profound effect on the sound than amplifiers unless your gear has power handling capabilities like a mother-#%#. (HE-6/HD800/LCD-2) Like an affordable single-ended Rag/Yggy when it comes to my budget (yes I heard them at CanJam and with certain headphones they are the best at that price range without a doubt) the Theta DS Pro Progeny and Asgard 2 is a match made in heaven. Good luck finding a Theta DAC though
wink_face.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #1,315 of 2,891
Has anybody tried the ALO Rx Mk3-B+ portable amp with the APs? 

I just ordered a pair of Primes, and right now I have only an AK120II to drive them. I know that's less than ideal, so I'm looking for other options. 

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #1,316 of 2,891
  Has anybody tried the ALO Rx Mk3-B+ portable amp with the APs? 

I just ordered a pair of Primes, and right now I have only an AK120II to drive them. I know that's less than ideal, so I'm looking for other options. 

just fyi i emailed ALO about the RX Mk3 B+ last week because i noticed they disappeared off their website. 

this is the response i got. You'd better pick one up quick before the stocks run out

Hi [name removed],

Thank you for your e-mail. 

The RxMk3-B+ has simply reached its product life cycle as we are in development of new products. We recently released the RX amplifier - click to learn more

We also have a warehouse website > http://warehousedeals.aloaudio.com/

On there, you may find some RxMk3-B+ that may be refurbished. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions and we'd gladly help. 

Best regards,
Lily 

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #1,317 of 2,891
  just fyi i emailed ALO about the RX Mk3 B+ last week because i noticed they disappeared off their website. 

this is the response i got. You'd better pick one up quick before the stocks run out

Thanks. There is a store with the RX Mk3 B+ here in Japan, and I might pick it up if I knew if would be good with the APs. It's much more expensive than the RX amp you mention at nearly the same price as the Prime itself. 

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #1,318 of 2,891
I've got a Prime unit and I always find it slightly bass light. I recently found out why. I cannot for the life of me, get a good seal. It could be my glasses? When I push the cups in place with my hands, I get all the bass I want. The moment I let go, it's "bass light" again. 

Anyway, my partner loves the Primes and I think it fits her head nicely. Mine is a bit on the large side. She has no complaints whatsoever and frequently raves to me how good her headphones sound. Just thought I'd share that bit of information regarding the bass. 

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #1,319 of 2,891
I've got a Prime unit and I always find it slightly bass light. I recently found out why. I cannot for the life of me, get a good seal. It could be my glasses? When I push the cups in place with my hands, I get all the bass I want. The moment I let go, it's "bass light" again. 

Anyway, my partner loves the Primes and I think it fits her head nicely. Mine is a bit on the large side. She has no complaints whatsoever and frequently raves to me how good her headphones sound. Just thought I'd share that bit of information regarding the bass. 

If it fits right without your glasses, try putting the phones on first and inserting the arms of the glasses so they are about 1cm above your ear and held down by the pads. If the fit is still. Off with out glasses you probably need to adjust the headband. Check out YouTube and search MrSpeakers clamp for a video... If that doesn't work PM me.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 1, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #1,320 of 2,891
Thanks Dan. I'll get my partner to bring it home over the weekend to try. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back