MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 8, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #871 of 2,891
I wouldn't expect it to happen, but this is what I was advised. I'm considering upgrading from Audio GD NFB15 to a pure Class A amplifier and then use my fiio x5 dac until I can afford to invest in a separate desktop dac further down the line.

I was told lyr 2 sound thin unless you get the right tube. Thinking of getting an Audio Gd C-2. I'm after Class A power, and a little more "sparkle" in the sound I get from my setup, maybe nfb15 I'd a touch too smooth and dark in delivery for my personal taste.

WA6SE on ebay for £500 and seller is inviting offers. I wish somebody would buy it before I do.

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #872 of 2,891
  I have APs just delived and waiting at home.  It'll be a musical chairs of amplifiers over the next few days.  I think the Claret red  looks pretty good.  be nice to see it up close.

Have fun, man. I'm always stunned when I look my my Claret Dogs.

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #876 of 2,891
thanks though I have no idea what that is lol. I'll take a look.

It's a lovely tube amp by Woo Audio. Sounds like a buy!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 8, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #878 of 2,891
WA6SE on ebay for £500 and seller is inviting offers. I wish somebody would buy it before I do.

Keep a lookout for the WA2 also, since it is a bit more dynamic for the music I listen to.  I like the WA5LE the best of course, since it has a special kind of sparkle in the upper midrange not in the high treble that I enjoy very much with certain kinds of symphonic music.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #879 of 2,891
Ok thanks. It will pair well with alpha primes?

I've not seen any comments on the combo but theoretically it is a nice match.

Keep a lookout for the WA2 also, since it is a bit more dynamic for the music I listen to.  I like the WA5LE the best of course, since it has a special kind of sparkle in the upper midrange not in the high treble that I enjoy very much with certain kinds of symphonic music.

Isn't the W2 an OtL amp? I wouldn't have thought that would be much good with these headphones.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #880 of 2,891
I've not seen any comments on the combo but theoretically it is a nice match.
Isn't the W2 an OtL amp? I wouldn't have thought that would be much good with these headphones.

Yes it is a OTL amp. I have not tried it with the Primes, good point. I am using the Little Dot VI+ which is also a OTL and OCL but with four 6080/6AS7 tubes and has plenty of clean power with my Prime and to my monitors. The WA6se does not have pre-outs if that is important to you.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #882 of 2,891
Thanks for this, I've made a fair and sensible offer that is the most I can afford, hopefully the seller will accept my offer! If not, I'll have to keep on the look out for another affordable setup

In all fairness, £500 is an exceptional price for the WA6SE and I'm surprised he's taking offers at all. They rarely pop up on the UK market and when they do they typically sell for somewhere around the £700 mark - depending on tubes.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #883 of 2,891
In all fairness, £500 is an exceptional price for the WA6SE and I'm surprised he's taking offers at all. They rarely pop up on the UK market and when they do they typically sell for somewhere around the £700 mark - depending on tubes.

Yeah I appreciate that though I did offer what is day is a good price. I'll see what happens, of lady luck is with me I'll win it. If not, then fair enough I'll stay patient and look for something else that comes up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back