MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 8, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #856 of 2,891
  The He-1000 better has a huge soundstage. It almost covers the entire head. It's like a pair of Aural Oculus Rift thing. In fact, I am willing to bet that you cannot place both on the same human head.

yea thats what I thought too, and it has virtually no grill either, yet the person who gave the detailed impression claimed they were about the same as an he-560, which I personally found to be nice and wide but not very good with front to back. They just said that the he-1000 imaged much better, and was much more holographic, which is what I experienced when I started using the alpha prime after the he-560, so it still seemed like the he-1000 is either way over-priced, or the alpha prime is a ridiculously good deal. There was also a video of a guy listening to the he-1000, camera very close to the outside ear cup, and it sounded like a more refined, fuller sounding, he-560 (in comparison to a similar style video of the he-560, which when actually using them was pretty accurate despite being audio thats leaking from the outside). So like I said, either way over-priced, or alpha prime is an insane deal. or both lol. It's really just the fact that the alpha prime can do this while also being closed back, and have 25dB or so of isolation. Like from most of the impressions of the he-1000 it seems to sound nicely within the current line-up of 1000-1500 dollar headphones, maybe 2000 like an lcd-3 if you count style and materials, but they said they are making you buy the ef-1000 amp when it initially releases and that thing has been unofficially priced at 7500 dollars, so the whole package, unless radically changed in the next week, will be 10 grand. oh and the he-1000 is not supposed to be the replacement for the he-6, theres still another headphone in the works that is gonna be the official he-6 replacement, and will be closer to that price point.

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #858 of 2,891

Thing is, I sent my e-mail to him on the 8th of December…. Anyhow, shocking it to life seems to work, but it'd be nice not to have to do this.

C

A month ago!  Definitely that email is lost, for whatever reason.  Send another one, for sure.  Or call them.

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #860 of 2,891
  I received the Alpha PRIME today with 2 tuning dots pre-applied on both sides.
Is that how they come or should I remove them?

That's probably just how Dan and co. tuned them. It should be fine unless the sound signature is not to your liking.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #861 of 2,891
Thing is, I sent my e-mail to him on the 8th of December…. Anyhow, shocking it to life seems to work, but it'd be nice not to have to do this.

C

Goodness! I try to answer every email same day, so if anyone writes and doesn't hear back in 2-3 days try again or call us.

Please pm me so e can take care of you!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 8, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #863 of 2,891
  Dan, are either upgrade or trade in still an option?

We never suggested trade-in.  Upgrades are off the table for now, I need to develop a way to make it easier if we're to proceed with that.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 8, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #864 of 2,891

We never suggested trade-in.  Upgrades are off the table for now, I need to develop a way to make it easier if we're to proceed with that.  

Sure, thanks!

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #865 of 2,891
  That's probably just how Dan and co. tuned them. It should be fine unless the sound signature is not to your liking.

Thanks for the fast reply.
I'll give them a good listen with the pre-applied dots for now
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #866 of 2,891
Has anyone ever experienced an increasingly "thin" sound as they apply increase in amplifier power with the alpha primes? This is what I have been advised to expect by someone today.

Anyone experience this to back up this claim? I was advised that the more power an amp has, the more the Mrspeakers product line sound thins out...

Thx.

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #867 of 2,891
Has anyone ever experienced an increasingly "thin" sound as they apply increase in amplifier power with the alpha primes? This is what I have been advised to expect by someone today.

Anyone experience this to back up this claim? I was advised that the more power an amp has, the more the Mrspeakers product line sound thins out...

Thx.

That hasn't been my experience.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #868 of 2,891

Thx.

That has never happened to me. I have used the lyr2 and the Ragnarok ( balanced) and the Alpha Prime's sound has never thinned out. The Alpha Prime's love power and the more you give the better the cans sound.:)

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #869 of 2,891
That hasn't been my experibbence.

I wouldn't expect it to happen, but this is what I was advised. I'm considering upgrading from Audio GD NFB15 to a pure Class A amplifier and then use my fiio x5 dac until I can afford to invest in a separate desktop dac further down the line.

I was told lyr 2 sound thin unless you get the right tube. Thinking of getting an Audio Gd C-2. I'm after Class A power, and a little more "sparkle" in the sound I get from my setup, maybe nfb15 I'd a touch too smooth and dark in delivery for my personal taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back