MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 8, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #526 of 2,891
  Alpha Dogs have no trouble with EDM. I can confirm that I was listening to some Trentemoller and Deadmau5 back to back and the bass is more like a 3-way speaker than a club atmosphere but it doesn't bleed into the mids or highs making the overall sound something the artist intended rather than a boomy nightclub that doesn't understand an equalizer or sibilance in the HF.

BTW the bass is just about perfect to me. It offers plenty of definition and weight without spilling into the rest of the frequencies. It really ruined my interests in finding the most bassy headphones because the quality and presentation of the bass is far more important than the amount (especially when you consider the Alpha Dog's stock tuning doesn't put out wimpy bass). Also consider planar magnetic vs. dynamic. Dynamic drivers sometimes have more punch than ortho's but you'll be harder pressed to find a dynamic driver that has more weight and less distortion.

Thx for your input. Its upgrade from MD to Alpha Prime I'm considering. But having seen them listed @ full price in EU @ 940 euros it's too costly. It was said earlier in this thread that they were n offer @ 850 euros which would've got me buying. Now I don't think I can do it now @ full price.

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #527 of 2,891
I am in total shock at how fantastic the Alpha Prime sounds through balanced cables, on my Ragnarok. Zappa, Zepplin, Mozart, Vangelis, they might be giants are fantastic, 5 hours of time just blinked away. The sound is so intoxicating, it's hard to walk away .

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #528 of 2,891
I am in total shock at how fantastic the Alpha Prime sounds through balanced cables, on my Ragnarok. Zappa, Zepplin, Mozart, Vangelis, they might be giants are fantastic, 5 hours of time just blinked away. The sound is so intoxicating, it's hard to walk away .

Ah every comment like this is drawing me nearer to Alpha Primes!  I LOVE the Antarctica (and Blade Runner) soundtrack its epic. I may have a listen to it on my Mad Dogs shortly before bed after reading your comment!

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #529 of 2,891
  My Primes just showed up, a day early.  Not surprising, Mr. Speakers and I are only about 500 miles from each other. My cable is at home, so I won't get to try them 'till tonight.  Save for the new riser that says prime, and the new comfort strap and new pads, I can't tell them from AD's visually.  They are pretty much sleepers, to steal an old car term.  I can't wait to try them out!

I just gave them about 30 seconds worth - ran home at lunch ('bout 15 miles, and I drove, not ran....).  VERY briefly, I ran a couple of bits of songs through.  The one that I noticed immediately is one I use frequently - Cowboy Junkies' "Mining for Gold" from the original Trinity Sessions.  It starts out acapella, but before Margot starts singing, there is a deep rattling and rumble that I used to think came from dubbed in train cars or mining cars, but later found out is from the Church's heating system.  Old steam pipes rattling.  With some headphones, it is palpable, with others, barely audible.  The AD's were near the barely audible.  The primes are palpable.  Very brief impression, unbroken in, less than 5 minutes, they remind me of what I remember my D7000's to sound like (realize I haven't heard the D7000 in a couple of years now....).  The Primes don't leak sound in and out like a chicken wire fence though.  They also don't seem to have bass that bleeds into the mids and consequent sucked out mids the way the D7000's do.  Anyway, probably best to disregard everything I just wrote - too short of time with them, bad case of new toy-itis.  Can't wait to get home.

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #530 of 2,891
Hello Reddog and others,
Wondering if you have heard the Beyerdynamic T5p, Foster 900 or the Audeze XC?
Your enthusiasm for the Alpha Primes make me wonder how they might compare to any of the above.
Thank you,
Shmuel

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #531 of 2,891
  I don't really see any reason for why the E12 can't provide enough power. It's a very powerful amplifier and well within the capability of powering the Alpha Dog (and I would assume the Prime). 

Sound signature wise, though, I could see if you would prefer other amplifiers. I haven't heard the E12 myself, so I can't really comment on that for you. From my experience (as an O2 user), I've found the statements like "the O2 isn't nearly powerful enough to drive orthos" and what not to be pretty exaggerated. After listen to some higher end amps like a Conductor and V200 side by side with my O2 and ODAC, I could certain tell that some amps have a warming tonality. But I think in terms of raw power at my everyday listening levels, I didn't see the need to spend anything more than my O2.

Just my experience, I definitely don't see extra power as a bad thing. I'm just trying to save myself more money to buy more headphones :p

I had read many comments like "the O2 isn't nearly powerful enough to drive orthos" etc, and after much reading I settled on an Audio-Gd NFB-15 & it's far exceeded my expectations.

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #532 of 2,891
I had read many comments like "the O2 isn't nearly powerful enough to drive orthos" etc, and after much reading I settled on an Audio-Gd NFB-15 & it's far exceeded my expectations.

Definitely a good choice of gear. I've found for my listening levels the O2 performs just handy with Orthos but you mileage will vary. The NFB is a beast though and will leave no doubt that it can drive those loads.

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #533 of 2,891
Definitely a good choice of gear. I've found for my listening levels the O2 performs just handy with Orthos but you mileage will vary. The NFB is a beast though and will leave no doubt that it can drive those loads.

Thx, I'm really delighted with the NFB15, I can't really listen much past 12 o'clock on the volume pot, but the power really gives impact and opens the soundstage at lower listening levels. I was "this" close to buying JDS O2+ODAC, but I plumped for the Audio-Gd just to give me headroom so I'd not need upgrade my power unit anytime soon.

I'm a month into ownership and I'm already considering upgrading from Mad Dogs to Alpha Primes asap so I'm fully sorted for a good few years.  Just need the Alpha Primes to drop by 90 euros & I'll be hitting the "buy" button.

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #534 of 2,891

I just gave them about 30 seconds worth - ran home at lunch ('bout 15 miles, and I drove, not ran....).  VERY briefly, I ran a couple of bits of songs through.  The one that I noticed immediately is one I use frequently - Cowboy Junkies' "Mining for Gold" from the original Trinity Sessions.  It starts out acapella, but before Margot starts singing, there is a deep rattling and rumble that I used to think came from dubbed in train cars or mining cars, but later found out is from the Church's heating system.  Old steam pipes rattling.  With some headphones, it is palpable, with others, barely audible.  The AD's were near the barely audible.  The primes are palpable.  Very brief impression, unbroken in, less than 5 minutes, they remind me of what I remember my D7000's to sound like (realize I haven't heard the D7000 in a couple of years now....).  The Primes don't leak sound in and out like a chicken wire fence though.  They also don't seem to have bass that bleeds into the mids and consequent sucked out mids the way the D7000's do.  Anyway, probably best to disregard everything I just wrote - too short of time with them, bad case of new toy-itis.  Can't wait to get home.

Um, no fair.  That is my #1 reference track, and if it's not the first one that I listen to, "Mining for Gold" is played within minutes of a new headphone. I first heard that background noise with the Grado GS1000e's, which are amazing at extracting detail.  I believe the Primes equal them in this regard

What I noticed is that the vocal were great right off the bat, but as Dan and others mentioned, at 10 hours + things come into focus.  Beyond detail, timbre, and ambience.  The closest I can come to is the difference between 1080 P and 4K hi-definition video, 3 feet away from a 55" TV. 1080 P is great, but at that distance, the 4K is pretty wow.  Now everything seems more precisely placed, with more exact imaging.  The Primes can be really breathtaking at times.

Oh, and in 40 years this is the one and only time I experienced "burn in". 

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #535 of 2,891

I know where you're coming from. The Primes are capable of the same kind of sub bass rumble you get with Denon and Fostex headphones. I thought the very same thing when I heard it for the first time. The Primes bass feels more accurate though. Not boosted, just correct.

^^ He's right about burn-in. I've suspected it in the past but with the Primes it's unmistakable.

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #536 of 2,891
I know where you're coming from. The Primes are capable of the same kind of sub bass rumble you get with Denon and Fostex headphones. I thought the very same thing when I heard it for the first time. The Primes bass feels more accurate though. Not boosted, just correct.

^^ He's right about burn-in. I've suspected it in the past but with the Primes it's unmistakable.

+1.

I was listening to "Flow" on Deezer, which picks things based on past listening.  It went from my usual Stoner/Jazz/Cowboy Junkies fare and cued up some Dubstep- I have no idea what it was.  Wearing the Primes, I physically jumped at the bass WHOMP that came out of those cans. It was well below 30 Hz, and was massively impressive (I wish I could at least remember the band.  I need more of that!)

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #537 of 2,891
Hello Reddog and others,
Wondering if you have heard the Beyerdynamic T5p, Foster 900 or the Audeze XC?
Your enthusiasm for the Alpha Primes make me wonder how they might compare to any of the above.
Thank you,
Shmuel

I have beyerdynamic dt 880 600 ohm headphones and considered obtaining a pair of used beyerdynamic t 1's. Although I would rather get a pair of he-400i's , to compliment my Alpha Prime's.

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #538 of 2,891
I have beyerdynamic dt 880 600 ohm headphones and considered obtaining a pair of used beyerdynamic t 1's. Although I would rather get a pair of he-400i's , to compliment my Alpha Prime's.

Oh, plus 1000 on the 400i's.  Amazing headphone, and I love having them with the Primes. I really think the combo makes for a serious end-game scenario.

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #539 of 2,891
To the burn in comments above - I think it is legitimate on mechanical systems such as transducers.  I'm a little skeptical on electronics and wires.  Note - Please let's not start a burn in side track on components other than the Primes.  I will not be surprised to find some changes over a few hours with them.

Oh - @swspiers - great minds.....  I've been using that track to test exactly the audibility of that kind of low bass rattle / rumble for a few years now.  It's a pretty specific frequency range, and has me thinking either that any headphone that exhibits it, is boosted in that range, or any headphone missing it, is attenuated in that frequency range.  I'm not sure which is correct.  My speaker rig does accentuate it.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back