MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 7, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #511 of 2,891
My Primes like Dream Theater, Slipknot, as much as they like acoustic jazz.  Currently they are connected via Wywires Red cable balanced to an Auralic Taurus fed from a PS Audio Directstream Dac.  Hear the at RMAF at Dan's table with the Auralic Vega and a Cavalli amp, and at the Schiit tablw with the Ragg Yggy combo--  they were yummy too.  

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #512 of 2,891
My comment about high-end amps wasn't meant to sound snobbish or disparaging. I was interested in the headphone's ability to scale with more upmarket amps. I was going to ask Reddog whether he detected much of an improvement with the Ragnarok over the Lyr 2. I wasn't bashing the Soloist. I've owned it twice and it's an excellent all-rounder amp.

I know that Tony, hence the smiley face.  I imagine the Rag and other TOTL amps best the Soloist in many ways.  If anything, it's one or two degrees removed from high end, and I', comfortable with that.  My wallet gently weeps at the moment...

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #513 of 2,891
Hello, I just received my new Alphas upgraded from Mad Dogs, wow really nice, but now I am waiting to see If I can upgrade to Primes lol, hopefully that will be possible, but even if thats not possible, I am really happy with Mr. Speakers. I will keep crossing my fingers.

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #514 of 2,891
Hello, I just received my new Alphas upgraded from Mad Dogs, wow really nice, but now I am waiting to see If I can upgrade to Primes lol, hopefully that will be possible, but even if thats not possible, I am really happy with Mr. Speakers. I will keep crossing my fingers.

Glad they arrived!

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #515 of 2,891
  guys....

http://www.mrspeakers-europe.com/index.php/producten/headphones.html

850€/667GBP already in europe

crawling through this whole thread i noticed that the AP were much cheaper in Europe one month ago, is this right? Now they are at 940 Euro. I am really interested in those and 90 Euros off might seal the deal. Or will they get cheaper again in a month or so?

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #516 of 2,891
Not sure about whether further price reduction are likely but I bought my mad dog with alpha pads from here recently and they are a brilliant reseller. If you're in the EU already you will not get any customs charges etc so long as delivery within EU.

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #517 of 2,891
  Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to all this, though I have recently treated myself to a pair of Mad Dogs with alpha pads and an Audio-Gd NFB-15 which is a great combo - completely blows away anything I've ever heard before headphone wise.

I'm now planning on slowly saving up for some Alpha Primes though I'm wondering if my NFB-15 will still be good enough both SQ and power wise? I really like the sound my current setup has and love listening to all kinds of music but mainly stuff like M83 & electronic/classical music. I prefer to listen to the music and really lose myself in it rather than listen more to a headphone if that makes sense.

Any advice appreciated stop I can start saving.

Kind regards,
M-83.

Hehe if you enjoy M83 I think the Alpha Primes are the natural pick. M83, Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears, New Order, Aphex Twin they all sound fantastic. I don't know how the NFB-15 pairs with the AD or AP but I can say that is no slouch and I have known many people to own products from Audio-GD and they are very well made.

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #520 of 2,891

crawling through this whole thread i noticed that the AP were much cheaper in Europe one month ago, is this right? Now they are at 940 Euro. I am really interested in those and 90 Euros off might seal the deal. Or will they get cheaper again in a month or so?

Sadly back up to 940 euros otherwise I'd have taken the plunge

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #521 of 2,891

Hehe if you enjoy M83 I think the Alpha Primes are the natural pick. M83, Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears, New Order, Aphex Twin they all sound fantastic. I don't know how the NFB-15 pairs with the AD or AP but I can say that is no slouch and I have known many people to own products from Audio-GD and they are very well made.

Thx I love M83- Digital Shades is my favourite album of all time, I listen to lots of EDM, plus music like Jan Garbarek, Brian Eno Music for Airports etc.  Also love good old 90s dance music.

I'm thinking of returning my Mad Dogs - I'd take a 20% hit on restocking fee from Mrspeakers Europe (I live in UK) which is rough - and paying difference and get some Alpha Primes instead. Would you think this is a worthwhile upgrade taking restocking fee into account? My mad dogs are only 1 month old.

Not sure if a balanced version etc would work with my NFB-15 I need to learn what balancing actually does, how it is done & what kind of connections on an amp are required.

I want to keep my NFB-15 its brilliant so I'd pair the AP with it if I do upgrade.

Thanks.

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #522 of 2,891
For me personally, I am no sure if I was listening to mostly EDM that I would pay more for the Alpha Prime. Do you find that the Alpha Dogs are lacking for EDM? Since I do not listen to much EDM I am sure others would chime in. Your amp does not do balanced and would cost more to have a good balanced setup and it is not necessarily a night and day difference. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #523 of 2,891
  For me personally, I am no sure if I was listening to mostly EDM that I would pay more for the Alpha Prime. Do you find that the Alpha Dogs are lacking for EDM? Since I do not listen to much EDM I am sure others would chime in. Your amp does not do balanced and would cost more to have a good balanced setup and it is not necessarily a night and day difference. 

Alpha Dogs have no trouble with EDM. I can confirm that I was listening to some Trentemoller and Deadmau5 back to back and the bass is more like a 3-way speaker than a club atmosphere but it doesn't bleed into the mids or highs making the overall sound something the artist intended rather than a boomy nightclub that doesn't understand an equalizer or sibilance in the HF.

BTW the bass is just about perfect to me. It offers plenty of definition and weight without spilling into the rest of the frequencies. It really ruined my interests in finding the most bassy headphones because the quality and presentation of the bass is far more important than the amount (especially when you consider the Alpha Dog's stock tuning doesn't put out wimpy bass). Also consider planar magnetic vs. dynamic. Dynamic drivers sometimes have more punch than ortho's but you'll be harder pressed to find a dynamic driver that has more weight and less distortion.

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #524 of 2,891
My Primes just showed up, a day early.  Not surprising, Mr. Speakers and I are only about 500 miles from each other. My cable is at home, so I won't get to try them 'till tonight.  Save for the new riser that says prime, and the new comfort strap and new pads, I can't tell them from AD's visually.  They are pretty much sleepers, to steal an old car term.  I can't wait to try them out!

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #525 of 2,891

Thx for your input. I really enjoy my Mad Dogs with alpha pads ($299) with all music, I just would like to upgrade already as I can afford to now before our first child arrives.  I won't bother balancing following your advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back