MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 14, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #2,611 of 2,891
I found they really came alive when I switched from a Schiit stack (Uber/Lyr) to a Mojo. The synergy is fantastic, and the Mojo really injects life into them. Love it!

Dunc

Good to know. What I don't get is why the Mojo is not so much user friendly say if I want to pair it with a fiiio x5ii.
The coax in of the mojo is not standard rca?
The hell if complications for nothing.

Aug 14, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #2,612 of 2,891
I believe they use a 3.5 mm connector there and that certainly is unusual for a coax input. They probably had to go to that type of connector to save space.

Aug 14, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #2,613 of 2,891
Good to know. What I don't get is why the Mojo is not so much user friendly say if I want to pair it with a fiiio x5ii.
The coax in of the mojo is not standard rca?
The hell if complications for nothing.

Yeah, it's not really meant to be used with a DAP. I use it with my MacBook Pro at work or occasionally on my iPhone.

Dunc

Aug 14, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #2,616 of 2,891
i dont know about you guys but I love my primes. I actually MISS them when im listening to my Ether C. The tuning of the prime is so impactful and resolving at the same time, and the pads are sublime every time i use them. whenever i use them i feel guilty, like i just ate a cookie i wasnt supposed to haha

Yeah, I've been lusting after Ether Cs since they were first announced, but then I heard a pair of Flows in a store - and now I treasure my Primes even more, hah. The tonal balance on the Primes is just perfect - natural and balanced, with plenty of heft in the bottom end without being the slightest bit overblown. I'm curious about the Aeons and will probably try them out, but now I'm not at all sure I'm going to prefer them to my Primes...

Dunc

Aug 14, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #2,617 of 2,891
they will seem dull when coming from bassy headphones, as i did when i got the, but since ive been using lots of headphones that are neutral the primes are fantastic. Just enough of that low end emphasis to liven up edm

What's interesting is that I'm going from neutral cans to more bassy, even v-shaped cans. I was comparing the Alpha Prime and the LCD-2 Fazor headphones for a while and decided that I like the extra slam that the LCD's have in the low-end. Furthermore, I couldn't help but notice that the treble would spike every now and then in the Primes. Lastly, the two signatures did seem very alike so I think Dan got achieved his goal in trying to get an Audeze-like sound.

Regardless, hats off to Dan at Mr. Speaker's for being able to bring about such change in a Fostex driver!

Edit: I'm really curious if anyone else hear had a chance to compare the Primes to an Audeze headphone!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #2,618 of 2,891
Yeah, I've been lusting after Ether Cs since they were first announced, but then I heard a pair of Flows in a store - and now I treasure my Primes even more, hah. The tonal balance on the Primes is just perfect - natural and balanced, with plenty of heft in the bottom end without being the slightest bit overblown. I'm curious about the Aeons and will probably try them out, but now I'm not at all sure I'm going to prefer them to my Primes...

Dunc
I didnt like the Ether C Flows when i heard them. I preferred my Ether C 1.1 much more. The flows have more mid - bass which i am not a fan of. The Sub-bass was already balanced with the rest of the low end profile and i think the flows kind of messed it up. But then again when i said i prefered the original Cs more some of the people at the Mr. Speakers booth were like "really??" So maybe im in a weird camp off on my own. I do think the signature of the Primes are perfect. I would love to have that kind of sound in an IEM too to take with me on the go but alas, im still looking.

Aug 14, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #2,620 of 2,891
It is a pretty basic metal stand and you might be disappointed if you paid too much for it. Nothing against the headphones of course but you could get nicer stands for $20-$30.

Aug 14, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #2,621 of 2,891
I honestly don't like the route Mr Speakers took after the prime- the famous hefty impactful bass just went away. I sold my Primes to get the Aeons, big mistake, that full sound that I loved just went away. I ended up with the Z1r which are awesome. But to be honest I ddint need to sell them in the first place. Lesson is that dont sell old headphones before listening to new ones

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #2,622 of 2,891
i dont know about you guys but I love my primes. I actually MISS them when im listening to my Ether C. The tuning of the prime is so impactful and resolving at the same time, and the pads are sublime every time i use them. whenever i use them i feel guilty, like i just ate a cookie i wasnt supposed to haha
I'm happy poeple are still paying the Prime it's due respect !

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #2,623 of 2,891
I honestly don't like the route Mr Speakers took after the prime- the famous hefty impactful bass just went away. I sold my Primes to get the Aeons, big mistake, that full sound that I loved just went away. I ended up with the Z1r which are awesome. But to be honest I ddint need to sell them in the first place. Lesson is that dont sell old headphones before listening to new ones
Would you put the Prime and Zr1 on the same sound quality level?

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #2,625 of 2,891
Had a pair then sold had another then sold just bought another pair in mint condition, now I must break this evil chain and keep them !

Wish I had followed that logic, the Primes are special indeed, kicking myself for selling them several months back.

My TH900, ZMF Ori, and bass-modded Mayflower V1 did not have as well rounded attributes as the Prime. The Ori comes closest of the three but for that last bit of imaging and space possessed by the Prime.

Even the Ether C Flow I briefly owned felt like a step back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back