MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 23, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #2,596 of 2,891
Just bought my second pair of primes , sold the first pair...... big mistake! Luckily I've got my hands on a mint pair that I'm holding onto till death do us part , quick question as it's been a while and there is no right or wrong answer but comments welcome. Tuning dots as I remember were one in each bottom corner as default (years ago) and now it's middle and bottom ? What's the default position yours were and what's the best you've found yourselves.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #2,597 of 2,891
Just bought my second pair of primes , sold the first pair...... big mistake! Luckily I've got my hands on a mint pair that I'm holding onto till death so us part , quick question as it's been a while and there is no right or wrong answer but comments welcome. Tuning dots as I remember were one in each bottom corner as default (years ago) and now it's middle and bottom ? What's the default position yours were and what's the best around arrangement.

They come setup for a flat response. I haven't changed mine.

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #2,602 of 2,891
You're supposed to tune them to how you like them. Each Alpha Prime is different. :)

Yeah I know that I just wanted a starting point of default... I guess no dot no disc and trial and error. Hey when you get close to 50 and you cannot hear above 16khz you sometimes have to rely on others, bit like a guide dog for the ears:loudspeaker:

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #2,603 of 2,891
Yeah I know that I just wanted a starting point of default... I guess no dot no disc and trial and error. Hey when you get close to 50 and you cannot hear above 16khz you sometimes have to rely on others, bit like a guide dog for the ears:loudspeaker:

Hehe, don't think like that, just know that as long as you listen to what you like and not just FR graphs and others' opinions, you're doing it right. :)

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #2,604 of 2,891
Aug 14, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #2,608 of 2,891
I can't help but feel regret in having sold my Alpha Primes .. but I just couldn't get over the fact that it was serious listening ONLY with them. I didn't feel any excitement, but rather dullness. That said, I still think that they are the closed-back equivalent of the HD800, and that is quite a compliment. The amount of detail that these things push at you is insane.

BTW, as I was writing this post I could feel the craving to buy yet another pair of these.

Aug 14, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #2,609 of 2,891
I can't help but feel regret in having sold my Alpha Primes .. but I just couldn't get over the fact that it was serious listening ONLY with them. I didn't feel any excitement, but rather dullness. That said, I still think that they are the closed-back equivalent of the HD800, and that is quite a compliment. The amount of detail that these things push at you is insane.

BTW, as I was writing this post I could feel the craving to buy yet another pair of these.

I love my HD800S but they never give as much buzz and joy as with the Prime. Mind you, I'm on;y a classical music dude.
I'm still in shock about how sublime they sound !!!!!
I changed the default tuning for a slight;y darker one, and turned out to be godly.

Aug 14, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #2,610 of 2,891

I found they really came alive when I switched from a Schiit stack (Uber/Lyr) to a Mojo. The synergy is fantastic, and the Mojo really injects life into them. Love it!

Dunc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back