MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 3, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #136 of 2,891
@mrspeakers 

What's your recommendation on custom cables for the Alpha Prime. I'm on the upgrade list for the AP, and was wondering if I need to upgrade the cable to get the best out of the AP like your demo set at RMF.

Nov 3, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #137 of 2,891
Sorry for the newbie question but does the Alpha Prime also use those optional membranes (Doggy treats, was it?)
If so, can someone elaborate on this further/share personal experiences/preferences? I kind of don't get it as I tried something similar at home with my planars and the results were just awful.

Nov 3, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #138 of 2,891
  @mrspeakers 

What's your recommendation on custom cables for the Alpha Prime. I'm on the upgrade list for the AP, and was wondering if I need to upgrade the cable to get the best out of the AP like your demo set at RMF.

I'd suggest going with stock until you have a sense of how this plays in your system, then post question to other owners.  I personally view cables as a nice finishing touch, which can include fine-tuning things like highs, sound stage, even comfort or cable microphonics, and not something that intrinsically changes the headphone.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 3, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #139 of 2,891
  Sorry for the newbie question but does the Alpha Prime also use those optional membranes (Doggy treats, was it?)
If so, can someone elaborate on this further/share personal experiences/preferences? I kind of don't get it as I tried something similar at home with my planars and the results were just awful.

The Prime comes with some tuning dots, which are mostly for people who wish to "darken" the phone a bit.  For Prime, so far most people seem to leave them as-is but they're there to allow a degree of personalization, much like tube-rolling a tube amp.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #141 of 2,891
Pandoras box, my friend.  Ask any 5 of us that question over the next 6 months, and you're likely to get about 20 answers!

Both rigs you listed are very good, and have many fans.  I really don't think either one would be a mistake.  And welcome the Head-Fi

This cracked me up! So true. To OP of the rig question - I'm a big fan if the Uberfrost / Asgard2 rig. Really good for the money. If you can swing a Lyr, I've heard it a couple times with the Uberfrost also. Let's just say that stack is on my want list as well.

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #142 of 2,891
I own the Asgard 2 + Uberfrost setup and it's basically all you really need to start out. I think there are also really good AMP/DAC combos you should look at if you want an all-in-one solution compared to a stack. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #143 of 2,891
  I own the SR009, HD800, HD600 and HE-6 from that list. I still don't have the Alpha Prime with me but I did own the Alpha Dog (sold them to buy the Prime) but I did listen to the Prime for a little bit last week.

Even that the AP and AP have great soundstage presentation for a closed headphone they are still closed and IMO will never have the same openness as the HD800 or SR009. IMO there is nothing like the SR009 with a good tube amplifier but then you are talking about $10K or so investment. The HD800 is one of my favorites but only when used with a good OCC Copper wire otherwise I personally find them a little bright. I am using my HD800 with a Zeus cable and they also have the wires form the connectors to the drivers of the same wire used in the Zeus. With my McIntosh MHA100 they sound fantastic and probably the best I have heard them.

the AD sounded very good with the MHA100 too but the soundstage is not as big as with the HD800 but on the other hand the sound more dynamic probably because of the enclosure.

Of closed headphones I have owned the DX1000, D5000, D7000, Edition 9 and still own a modified version of the D2000 and also the W3000ANV. i have listened to the TH600 (Ipersonally did not care for them) but I have never listen to the TH900.

IMO and based on your description of sound preference if you want a pair of closed headphones with no exaggeration on any frequency and good soundstage I would go for the AD or AP. 

I think you will be in for a pleasant surprise when you receive your AP. I got to listen to the Stax-009 at the San Diego meet a few days ago off a really expensive Blue Hawaii rig. It had to be one of the most resolving headphones I ever heard without grain with my only gripe being a touch more bass would make it really the perfect headphone.(some say the Stax007mkii has more bass)

I heard the AP on the Cavalli Liquid Glass and it got closer to the SR-009 then you would believe. That is why I even mentioned the 009 because of how resolving and fast the AP is. The biggest improvement from my comparison was the soundstage as I mentioned a few posts before. It's hard to believe that Dan managed to get more air flowing through these earcups so it sounds like the cups are being utilized even more-so and he mentioned that the THD is much lower than the Alpha Dog. What also struck me as a major improvement was hearing more details and background noise on tracks while playing recordings at the same volume.

I was hearing a lot more detail while getting a bigger soundstage with the AP. Really a major improvement of the T50RP driver. It makes sense why he wouldn't tell anyone what he did to it :]

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #144 of 2,891
  I think you will be in for a pleasant surprise when you receive your AP. I got to listen to the Stax-009 at the San Diego meet a few days ago off a really expensive Blue Hawaii rig. It had to be one of the most resolving headphones I ever heard without grain with my only gripe being a touch more bass would make it really the perfect headphone.(some say the Stax007mkii has more bass)

I heard the AP on the Cavalli Liquid Glass and it got closer to the SR-009 then you would believe. That is why I even mentioned the 009 because of how resolving and fast the AP is. The biggest improvement from my comparison was the soundstage as I mentioned a few posts before. It's hard to believe that Dan managed to get more air flowing through these earcups so it sounds like the cups are being utilized even more-so and he mentioned that the THD is much lower than the Alpha Dog. What also struck me as a major improvement was hearing more details and background noise on tracks while playing recordings at the same volume.

I was hearing a lot more detail while getting a bigger soundstage with the AP. Really a major improvement of the T50RP driver. It makes sense why he wouldn't tell anyone what he did to it :]

Great! I really looking forward to have a great weekend listening to the AP.

Regarding the SR-009. I totally agree with you about the sound with the BHSE. That combination is not my favorite due to the same reason you are expressing. IMO it sounds somewhat thin. I ahve listen to the SR-009 with the BHSE, WES, A-10 Thunderbolt and Stax SRM-727II and to my ears the SR-009/A-10 Thunderbolt combo is the best sounding. I am hoping to upgrade to the A-10 next year.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Nov 4, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #145 of 2,891
Just a note to encourage owners to try the tuning dots.  It's a very easy way to "roll" your headphone to get the best synergy with your gear and ear, and it's easy to try.

My experience is there's a clear difference created by the interaction between DACs, amps, cables and headphones and the dots can really make a material change by optimizing synergy with your system. Too bright, add 1 or 2 dots, too dark, take them out.  

As a sonic benchmark, I am tuning Alpha Primes using a Cavalli Liquid Crimson with a Schitt Gungnir DAC.  It's not a bright setup, very neutral to possibly a little dark, and most headphones are coming out with 0 or 1 dot per side. 

While a number of our customers have summit-gear many others have portable systems or simply brighter gear, so spending a little time to optimize may really pay off in optimizing your system.  

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.  

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #146 of 2,891
  Great! I really looking forward to have a great weekend listening to the AP.

Regarding the SR-009. I totally agree with you about the sound with the BHSE. That combination is not my favorite due to the same reason you are expressing. IMO it sounds somewhat thin. I ahve listen to the SR-009 with the BHSE, WES, A-10 Thunderbolt and Stax SRM-727II and to my ears the SR-009/A-10 Thunderbolt combo is the best sounding. I am hoping to upgrade to the A-10 next year.

Interesting when tried the SR009 last year I thought that the WES was much better than the BHSE and the Stax box. I have not tried hearing the A-10 Thunderbolt with the Stax but have used it as a computer game!
wink_face.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #147 of 2,891
Just ordered the Alpha Prime with a Lyr 2 and Bifrost uber analog usb from Sonority Audio in the Netherlands.
They have the AP in stock, will problably have it at the end of the week or early next week, excited :wink:

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #148 of 2,891
Cool!
  Just ordered the Alpha Prime with a Lyr 2 and Bifrost uber analog usb from Sonority Audio in the Netherlands.
They have the AP in stock, will problably have it at the end of the week or early next week, excited :wink:

Nice one! I ordered mine on the MrSpeaker website .... I'll race you!  :wink:
Mine has to come over the Atlantic to Brussels .... hmmm

Casper

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #149 of 2,891
  Cool!

Nice one! I ordered mine on the MrSpeaker website .... I'll race you!  :wink:
Mine has to come over the Atlantic to Brussels .... hmmm

Casper

I was first also thinking about ordering from the US because of the dollar to euro conversion.
But if I should pay 21% VAT and customs clearance the price would be higher than ordering from The Netherlands.
Also got a reduction of 80 euro on the official price.

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #150 of 2,891

I was first also thinking about ordering from the US because of the dollar to euro conversion.
But if I should pay 21% VAT and customs clearance the price would be higher than ordering from The Netherlands.
Also got a reduction of 80 euro on the official price.

Hmm, did not think of that!  :-/
And ... I did not know they where available on this side of the pond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back