MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Oct 3, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #8,146 of 9,071
  I'm the proud owner of a pair of Alpha Dogs since yesterday. I love what these headphones do for my music.
I use them on my Bakoon HPA-01 and I'm very happy with the results sofar. After I order some other cables I will be able to try them on my Mjolnir/Gungnir.

Hi Gerzom,

Did you buy your AD's new? If so, what is your version code? Mine arrived a couple days back and the box had some wear on it with the AD's also having some scratches on the black plastic. My AD's are version 1.1 so I'm wondering if I was shipped a store demo or old stock.

Oct 3, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #8,147 of 9,071
I will go against the grain with respect to recent posts as to the o2 to provide one more data point fwiw. Granted my o2 has the agdr booster board in it and a lme49990 in the gain stage for a significant improvement in slew rate, offset, current etc, but even stock, I liked the o2 and alpha dog combo a lot. Really clear, clean and fast sounding, and the stage is not compressed like the o2 seems to do with some phones.

Also, I'll note my ears are not alone in this. LFF frequently recommended the o2 as his go to fostex t50rp amp when he was developing the paradox. Is my mainline better? Sure it is. But for an amp anyone can build fora round $30 in parts, excluding the case, o2 sounds stupidly good in my opinion with fostex variants. Absolutely hate the o2 with my hd800s and hd650s, but for whatever reason it does work for me with dt880s.

Thanks for this input... I've read some very positive reviews of the O2 even at its assembled price point so I figured it would be a good first headphone amp for me. I guess its fair to say that the ADs are more "scalable" than other similarly priced headphones so there is definitely a benefit to spend a few more $$$ on an amp.

At one point I figured my next purchase would be a set of better open headphones but given that my musical preferences range from classic rock, alternative, and some EDM/Pop I'm probably set with my AD's and will focus on a better amp.  

Oct 3, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #8,148 of 9,071

Hi Gerzom,

Did you buy your AD's new? If so, what is your version code? Mine arrived a couple days back and the box had some wear on it with the AD's also having some scratches on the black plastic. My AD's are version 1.1 so I'm wondering if I was shipped a store demo or old stock.

Hi Alphanewb,

I bought mine second hand here in the Netherlands.
Sorry can't help you, but mine are V1.1 as well.

Oct 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #8,149 of 9,071

Can you describe how a current domain amp improves Alpha/planars please ? I've been curious about those style of current amps.There are DIY schematics online + a Robinette box can be fused into the amp.

Hi Lohb,

All I can say is that for me the Bakoon provided me with a much clearer sound stage, more separation between instruments, better mids and trebble in comparison with my Mjolnir (have not done any other comparisons) 
I have no clue about the technicalities of the current domain, etc. I just like what I hear and so far I like it a lot
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #8,150 of 9,071
I am in love with the fact that I can turn on my fan full blast and not have any effect on my listening due to the fantastic isolation of the AD. San Diego is having a heatwave in October and tomorrow it is supposed to be over 100 degrees

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #8,151 of 9,071
I'm the proud owner of a pair of Alpha Dogs since yesterday. I love what these headphones do for my music.
I use them on my Bakoon HPA-01 and I'm very happy with the results sofar. After I order some other cables I will be able to try them on my Mjolnir/Gungnir.

Look forward to reading about your experience with both set ups! I am considering adding a Mojo to the mix.

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #8,153 of 9,071
Darn, still kicking myself for not hooking up with your Mojo in Nashville! :cry:

Oct 3, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #8,154 of 9,071
I will go against the grain with respect to recent posts as to the o2 to provide one more data point fwiw. Granted my o2 has the agdr booster board in it and a lme49990 in the gain stage for a significant improvement in slew rate, offset, current etc, but even stock, I liked the o2 and alpha dog combo a lot. Really clear, clean and fast sounding, and the stage is not compressed like the o2 seems to do with some phones.

Also, I'll note my ears are not alone in this. LFF frequently recommended the o2 as his go to fostex t50rp amp when he was developing the paradox. Is my mainline better? Sure it is. But for an amp anyone can build fora round $30 in parts, excluding the case, o2 sounds stupidly good in my opinion with fostex variants. Absolutely hate the o2 with my hd800s and hd650s, but for whatever reason it does work for me with dt880s.

Good to hear. I should be getting my Alpha's early next week, and will be using them with my ODAC/O2 units.

Oct 3, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #8,155 of 9,071
The mjo with the AD is truly impressive. This hp just loves the power coming from that amp. Power with finesse=enjoyment. :D

Man your tempting me err. I was going to get a gungnir dac or just live like monk and save all money for the Ragnarok.

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #8,158 of 9,071
  Hi Lohb,

All I can say is that for me the Bakoon provided me with a much clearer sound stage, more separation between instruments, better mids and trebble in comparison with my Mjolnir (have not done any other comparisons) 
I have no clue about the technicalities of the current domain, etc. I just like what I hear and so far I like it a lot
biggrin.gif

Thanks. I just imagine these current domain amps to be a perfect match with some of the planars out there. They almost sound like the best of tube + SS amps.

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #8,159 of 9,071
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back