MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Jul 14, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #7,606 of 9,071
We are in stock but sometimes a color or cable may briefly get back ordered. So usually we ship within one raking day.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 15, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #7,611 of 9,071
Usually vibration induced noise is induced by lower frequncies and occurs if a wire is rattling against the driver, or even another wire. We route our wires to minimize the risk of this, but if you are getting a mechanical vibration you can PM me and we will fix it right away. We have only had that happen a couple of times and changed our layout about 6-7 months ago.

I have never heard of a high frequency mechanical noise, please pm me with details and let's see if that can be figured out...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 15, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #7,612 of 9,071
Got an older pair of Alphas, and I must say the hype is real.  The details are fantastic, and the mids and bass are life-like.  I don't think mine has the treats, and yes, the highs could be piercing at some point, or even sibilant, but I believe the treats will treat them (will order them soon).

The finishing on these headphones are really top notch.  They are just beautiful headphones, and precisely manufactured.  The comfort is fantastic, and it is very easy to fit them on my head with a great seal.

My wife commented on how good these headphones looked, and when I gave it to her for a listen, she went through three songs before she gave it back to me (she normally listens to one song and that was it).  She's a classically trained pianist, and plays many other instruments as well, so she has way better ears than mine.  Her first comment was that they sound very detail, and that the songs sounds "higher pitch" than normal (she means bright), so it pretty much goes in hand with every body else's opinion.

One note of caution though, I was driving them out of an iMod with a quickstep, so it's not the best set up.

Compared to my Koss ESP-950 with Stax SRM1/MkII set up, the alpha dogs seems to be even more details, but the sound isn't as warm and musical as the Koss.  The bass of the Alphas hits a little harder, but the Koss just has more presence.  The mids on both are equally great, and the Koss seems to have more natural highs.  Sound stage goes to the Koss.

I think I need a better setup for these alphas, and can hopefully try out a bunch of amps when a head-fi meet comes along.

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #7,613 of 9,071
^Ambchang, mine are 4 days old and I started with no treats and moved up to two treats a side, I am moving up from a pair of HD650's, and the treats are very effective at training our Dogs. I was afraid they would "muffle" some of the Alpha Dogs marvelous transparency and that is definitely not the case. Recording after recording I am picking things up in the mix that I didn't know where there, these Dogs are reintroducing me to my entire collection. Order some Dog Treats from Dan, IMO they are an effective way to customize your Alpha Dogs to your tastes.

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #7,615 of 9,071
  Got an older pair of Alphas, and I must say the hype is real.  The details are fantastic, and the mids and bass are life-like.  I don't think mine has the treats, and yes, the highs could be piercing at some point, or even sibilant, but I believe the treats will treat them (will order them soon).

i first started off with 2 treats in each side, but recently went down to 1 on each side as my ears became more accustomed.

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #7,616 of 9,071
^Update of sorts, switched from Voskhod Silver Shields to a pair of Amperex Bugle Boys on my Lyr 2 and dropped down to one Dog Treat a side, very sweet tubes. Love tube rolling with the Lyr 2 and the ability to to tailor the AlphaDogs to my taste.

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #7,618 of 9,071
Can someone offer short comparison between fidelio X1 an alpha dog. I am searching for quality closed headphone.

I had both of those headphones. The mids an highs are just another class on the alphas. Bass is drastically different though. It's sharp fast and accurate on the alphas whereas the x1 was deep and boomy. The alphas also need much more power I can't get to to loud enough levels on a phone or tablet whereas the X1 had no problems so a proper amp is needed. The sound isolation is great on the alphas I can't hear my video cards whine when gaming. The pads are not dust magnets since they are leather and not velour and are replaceable (come on Phillips!) I ended up selling the Fidelio X1 since I enjoyed the alphas so much but I do miss them for movies.

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #7,619 of 9,071
It's sharp fast and accurate on the alphas whereas the x1 was deep and boomy. The alphas also need much more power I can't get to to loud enough levels on a phone or tablet whereas the X1 had no problems so a proper amp is needed.

Oh, that could be a gripe. I kind of like a bit of "booom" in the bass, also as I understand ... alphas wont work plugged directly to TV? Maybe I should take a look at Mad dog pros?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back