MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Jul 12, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #7,576 of 9,071
Don't know about X5 but RWAK100 has just enough power to drive Alpha Dogs and you better try Dog Treats before you decide to sell your Alpha Dogs

I totally agree.
The first time I listen to the AD was at AXPONA this year. My first impression was that they were a little to bright for my taste and actually like better the MD. When Dan asked me my opinion he immediately placed a DT in each side of the AD and asked me to try them again. Wow! now the sound was just perfect for me and fell in love with them so couple of week later I ordered my pair and I am loving them driven by my McIntosh MHA-100.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 12, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #7,577 of 9,071
The DT's and pads make a notable and substantial difference.  Mine came with 2 dots on each side out of the box.  I haven't adjusted my bass screws at all, mostly because an idiot friend thought the sticker with numbers on it was trash, but I took off one dot and use one pad per side, sounds perfect to me with no harshness and not veiled sounding at all.  

Would definitely suggest as others have said, tweak it a bit and see if you can get them to sound to your liking, the customization is really fun and makes the headphones that much more enjoyable in my personal opinion.

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #7,578 of 9,071
I don't think I'm in the minority when I say that my Alpha Dogs sound fantastic as shipped.  No need for tweaking or adjusting.  They are the best sounding set of headphones I've ever used.  YMMV.

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #7,579 of 9,071
  I don't think I'm in the minority when I say that my Alpha Dogs sound fantastic as shipped.  No need for tweaking or adjusting.  They are the best sounding set of headphones I've ever used.  YMMV.

Nope, you're definitely not in the minority. Dan and his team have worked some serious magic and they sound amazing straight out of the box.

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #7,580 of 9,071

I totally agree. Despite all the praise, I still consider them to be under—rated

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #7,581 of 9,071
^^^Ableza, a big +1, your advice led me to the Alpha Dogs. I have had mine all of 4 hours now and I agree (though I have put a in one Dog Treat per side). I am fairly new to HeadFi, not to Audiophilia, but these AD's are the best I have ever heard. I really didn't understand when others referred to the HD650's as "grainy", now I know what they were referring too. With the Alpha Dogs the music rises out of a deep, silent "blackness". Sound staging and imaging are excellent, closed-back, no problem. With the Wyrd>Modi>Lyr 2, these baby's rock, it's early, but I don't see why anyone would want to mess with the bass adjustment.

MrSpeakers/Dan, well done, these are exceptional headphones, more to come after some serious listening.

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #7,582 of 9,071
More listening, not able to do any critical listening. Wading through guilty pleasures, damn that Chris Isaak can sing......feeln' Wicked Game, then onto a bit of AC/DC Live, Angus is in excellent form.......Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers have me Moanin'..... Elvis Costello and I got problems with those Angels Wearn' Our Red Shoes......like, no love the Alpha Dogs! Big thanks to MrSpeakers/Dan for reintroducing me to my music!

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #7,584 of 9,071
Is it possible to desolder the 1/4 trs and solder on a 4 pin xlr for the stock cable?

Anything is possible... but why not just order a balanced cable from MrSpeakers?

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #7,585 of 9,071
^^^Ableza, a big +1, your advice led me to the Alpha Dogs. I have had mine all of 4 hours now and I agree (though I have put a in one Dog Treat per side). I am fairly new to HeadFi, not to Audiophilia, but these AD's are the best I have ever heard. I really didn't understand when others referred to the HD650's as "grainy", now I know what they were referring too. With the Alpha Dogs the music rises out of a deep, silent "blackness". Sound staging and imaging are excellent, closed-back, no problem. With the Wyrd>Modi>Lyr 2, these baby's rock, it's early, but I don't see why anyone would want to mess with the bass adjustment.

MrSpeakers/Dan, well done, these are exceptional headphones, more to come after some serious listening.

As I told you in PM, the Alpha Dogs caused me to relegate my HD650's to a closet in storage. 
darthsmile.gif

Jul 13, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #7,586 of 9,071
^Happily a MrSpeaker Alpha Dog Fanbois :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #7,587 of 9,071
Is it possible to desolder the 1/4 trs and solder on a 4 pin xlr for the stock cable?

Anything is possible... but why not just order a balanced cable from MrSpeakers?

They pop up on the FS forums frequently. I sold mine a month or so ago. A fellow head-fier built a cable with 1/4 and 4 pin adapters for me.

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #7,588 of 9,071
They pop up on the FS forums frequently. I sold mine a month or so ago. A fellow head-fier built a cable with 1/4 and 4 pin adapters for me.

If you are talking about building an adaptor to go from 1/4" to balanced, you have to understand this is not a true balanced connection as you have common grounds. Even though you will have separate ground pins on the balanced XLR connector, the grounds are tied together on the 1/4" plug. You have to be very careful to make sure the amp you are plugging the balanced connector into can have the grounds tied together. Amps such as the Schiit Mjolnir, Virtue, and T-amps using Tripath power cannot have the grounds connected together. The Mjolnir has a protection circuit which should shut the amp down, but the other amps may be shorted and blown. Even if you are safe to go from 1/4" to balanced, you are not getting the true benefit of a balanced circuit-isolation of the channels from each other.

If you go use an adaptor to go from balanced to 1/4", you will be safe. But you will lose the isolation of the balanced connector.

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #7,590 of 9,071
These cans would look amazing in MIDNIGHT BLUE. Are there more colors coming soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back