MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Jul 3, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #7,531 of 9,071
The ADs with Lyr2 using Siemens Cca tubes, listening to Giorgio by Moroder ----> bliss
biggrin.gif

Truly a 3D soundstage. You feel like you are in the cafe with Giorgio.

I bought the tubes from Upscale Audio. The tubes are platinum graded.

The one negative of this tube is the weak bass. But the 3D soundstage more than makes up for that.

This is what ADs are for!

Very interesting, I am looking for tubes for my lyr. Very expensive tubes though....

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #7,533 of 9,071
Yes. I have the Telefunkens too. They are one of the all-round best sounding tubes, I have, for the AD. When I need more bass on some of my music, I switch to the Telefunkens.

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #7,534 of 9,071
I have some National 6922 that are nice with the Lyr 2, a big soundstage without sacrificing bass. Amperex Bugle Boys for the bigger budget tube options are excellent all around, good tonality and soundstage, punchy bottom end. Green hornets didn't do too well, they were too microphonic.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 3, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #7,535 of 9,071
From what I have gleaned from the different forums on the Lyr and the alpha dogs, a moderate priced tube from upscale audio was the gold lion E88CC/ 6922,. I think they go for 52 dollars, if you get the platinum grade. Furthermore you should get them paired. I will be getting a set of these soon as well as a set of the telefunken's. Please have a good nite.

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #7,536 of 9,071
I tried several tubes in my Lyr driving Alpha Dogs, including Amperex White Labels, Telefunkens and GE JANs.  The ones I ended up liking the most and keeping in were Genelex Gold Lions.  YMMV.

Jul 4, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #7,537 of 9,071
  I tried several tubes in my Lyr driving Alpha Dogs, including Amperex White Labels, Telefunkens and GE JANs.  The ones I ended up liking the most and keeping in were Genelex Gold Lions.  YMMV.

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/gold-lion-e88cc-6922/

I might get a pair of these in platinum next purchase. I don't want to spend >$100 on tubes, the audio change is so minuscule. I tried two separate tubes to see if I could even tell a different from stock and orange globes and it is VERY small.

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #7,538 of 9,071
How does Lyr compare to Pan Am?

From my experience, Pan Am starts distorting sound at 3:00 o'clock, and when you boost LF (<50Hz) distortion gets even bigger (the signal it-self is far from being clipped, i.e. max -3dB). I was thinking if it was Alpha Dogs issue (I though maybe I burned them), but no it isn't. I know that because at home I connected them to my Behringer, and I got to way higher volumes than I can get on Pan Am, and no distortion whatsoever.

So, how does it go with Lyr? If you throw 100% power on Alpha Dogs will you get distortion? or will it burn Alphas? or you just loose hearing?

Jul 5, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #7,539 of 9,071
How does Lyr compare to Pan Am?

From my experience, Pan Am starts distorting sound at 3:00 o'clock, and when you boost LF (<50Hz) distortion gets even bigger (the signal it-self is far from being clipped, i.e. max -3dB). I was thinking if it was Alpha Dogs issue (I though maybe I burned them), but no it isn't. I know that because at home I connected them to my Behringer, and I got to way higher volumes than I can get on Pan Am, and no distortion whatsoever.

So, how does it go with Lyr? If you throw 100% power on Alpha Dogs will you get distortion? or will it burn Alphas? or you just loose hearing?

You will blow your eardrums and your headphones, not sure which will go first...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 6, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #7,540 of 9,071
  We have made so much progress on the wait list that I am going to open upgrades up next week.  We've emailed everyone who was on the list and have about 10 units we're waiting to receive to upgrade, so it should be no problem to declare "open season" on upgrades.  I'll let you know when the link is live.  

For anyone who thought they were on the list and didn't get a note, you might check your spam folder and/or inbox, the subject is "Your turn for a Mad Dog to Alpha Dog upgrade."

It appears my sign-up from May 26th slipped through your system somehow (I checked my spam folder every day) so I signed up again a week ago. Are you still working through the wait list or are we just waiting for "open season"? I don't think I've ever worked this hard to pay someone! 
tongue.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #7,541 of 9,071

It appears my sign-up from May 26th slipped through your system somehow (I checked my spam folder every day) so I signed up again a week ago. Are you still working through the wait list or are we just waiting for "open season"? I don't think I've ever worked this hard to pay someone! 
tongue.gif

It'll be open season starting this week, I just have to update the website.  I'll post when that is done...

Sorry about that!  

Jul 6, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #7,542 of 9,071
Went to my audio dealer this friday to pick up the Alpha Dogs I had ordered. I also decided to get a better amp and DAC along with the new phones. I had a pretty long session comparing the Lyr2/Bifrost, Asgard 2/Bifrost, Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear USB, Burson Conductor SL1793 and the Burson Conductor SL9018. For the comparison I listened some Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Meshuggah, Gojira, Beatles, Ghustav Holst and Sjostakovitsj.

I decided that I liked the SL1793 the most because it has a bit more warmer sound than the other SS amps, but not as warm as the Lyr2. Also, the fact that I was able to get it considerably cheaper than the other aforementioned combos made me pull the trigger. It was a tough call as everything sounded great.
thumb.gif

I want to post a picture of my setup, but I am unable to do so because my account does not have the necessary permissions to post images it seems. Anyone knows how to solve this?

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #7,544 of 9,071
My thanks to Ableza and MrSpeakers! I will be ordering Alpha Dogs Tuesday!!! I am ready to step up from my 650's, sonic impressions to come. Now if I can only fix my JRiver 19, I had to restore and none of my 1000's of files will play, stating, "the file could not be found, file name does not match"!!!!:rage:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back