MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
May 28, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #7,188 of 9,071
My A2 + Uber is dead silent even when I am not playing any music and the volume is turned up halfway. Like the two posts above its gotta be something else if both your headphones do that on the same setup.

May 28, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #7,189 of 9,071
  The hum sounds like a ground loop problem....maybe or possibly dirty power. 

That's something I will look into, but it isn't quite a hum.  It is almost a grainy type attribute to the sound.  Like I said, I will listen to it at home more closely over the weekend as I get some time. 

With nothing playing and volume up, there is no noise on either AD or P7's through the Schiit stack.  It is only when music is playing it seems and comes off more as a click/pop, not a constant sound.  Either way it isn't the Alpha's so don't want to clog the thread to much.

I left work late because I was zoned out in some Doors LA Woman, writing reports.  So that says something about them, they really are insanely comfortable to my sized noggin.

Thanks for the tips.

May 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #7,190 of 9,071
if you are using the lyr with a laptop, make sure you get a ground cable plug, or else it will create some EMI. it took me 3 days (mostly because I was lazy) to figure out where the noise come from, and sure enough it was coming from my laptop, I order a ground cable plug and it stop.

May 29, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #7,191 of 9,071
AD on my head, playing WoW. Wife said I looked like Mickey Mouse! Two 25mm shells on my desk from my first ship. Glass of 18 year scotch, empty!

May 29, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #7,193 of 9,071
  Not too many people can say that they Play WoW AND have a WIFE

Once you've done that, it doesn't matter if you've got Mickey Mouse ears, you've already won. 

I would be one of those people as well. 
biggrin.gif
 Been playing since the game shipped. 

May 29, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #7,194 of 9,071
  Not too many people can say that they Play WoW AND have a WIFE

Once you've done that, it doesn't matter if you've got Mickey Mouse ears, you've already won. 

I have been playing on and off since vanilla and I can tell you there are more people like that then there are stereotypical RP hypernerds.

May 29, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #7,195 of 9,071

I have been playing on and off since vanilla and I can tell you there are more people like that then there are stereotypical RP hypernerds.

+1

May 29, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #7,196 of 9,071
  Is it worth selling the vali and modi and purchasing the Lyr + Bifrost, or keep the modi and buy the lyr?

The $450 is a fair bit considering it also has to be shipped to Canada which is another $70 or more with taxes, import duties and shipping costs. Plus tube rolling...is the lyr much better than the vali I got?

I gotta be honest dude. I bought the Asgard 2 to go with my ADs and returned it because I couldn't hear the difference between it and the Magni.

It's true the Vali/Lyr may be a different story since they're tube amps, just sharing my experience.

Also I would be shocked if there was a noticeable difference between the Modi and the Bifrost. Even on Schiit's website they hint that they sound the same, but the Bifrost just has a lot more features.

May 29, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #7,197 of 9,071
  I gotta be honest dude. I bought the Asgard 2 to go with my ADs and returned it because I couldn't hear the difference between it and the Magni.

It's true the Vali/Lyr may be a different story since they're tube amps, just sharing my experience.

Also I would be shocked if there was a noticeable difference between the Modi and the Bifrost. Even on Schiit's website they hint that they sound the same, but the Bifrost just has a lot more features.

Don't mean to be argumentative, but the differences between the DACs is pretty significant. The Modi is much more strident and the lower frequencies are a little more loose. Don't get me wrong the Modi is a fine piece of gear for it's price point, but the Bifrost is clearly better. IMHO, YMMV, etc, etc.

May 29, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #7,198 of 9,071

Don't mean to be argumentative, but the differences between the DACs is pretty significant. The Modi is much more strident and the lower frequencies are a little more loose. Don't get me wrong the Modi is a fine piece of gear for it's price point, but the Bifrost is clearly better. IMHO, YMMV, etc, etc.

Thanks for your input. I'm blessed/cursed in that I don't have amazing ears, so I'm always impressed when people can actually hear the differences in gear that I simply can't.

May 29, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #7,199 of 9,071
  Thanks for your input. I'm blessed/cursed in that I don't have amazing ears, so I'm always impressed when people can actually hear the differences in gear that I simply can't.

I'm with you.  My ears are not the best, I suppose, but they function adequately enough to really enjoy good music.  I only care that a DAC has sonic transparency.  Luckily for me, I haven't found any need to spend a lot of money on one to satisfy my requirements.

May 29, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #7,200 of 9,071

I have actually found that as my hearing has degraded over the years my sensitivity to and ability to truly appreciate amazing highs has increased. I don't like harsh treble or treble spikes, they hurt me literally. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back