MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Feb 14, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #5,746 of 9,071
Uhm, a very interesting comparison. I think the Alphad Dog gets more benefits when pairing with higher quality amps such as the below comparison text that I copied from Headfonia. I really want to see David from 50+ headphone comparison does a review of Alpha Dog in the future but who knows, may be yes may be no
blink.gif

"Let’s start with the best part first. The depth in the sound. The Alpha Dog is superior to every other T50RP-mod I know in terms of depth. Including the original T50RP as well as Fostex’s prototype RP headphone (in its early prototype stage, at least). You get a deep, three dimensional soundstage depth that rivals the Audez’es and better than any Hifiman I know. The background is black though slightly below the level of the Audezes. The soundstage is very wide and through the Studio Six amp sounds wider than even the LCD-3. The Thunderpants in comparison, though just as wide, lack the depth and the black background of the Alpha Dog."

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #5,747 of 9,071

Why?

If I were in charge, there would be promotions and bonuses.  With minimal R&D, the product is adopted by a growing community of modders and businesses. I would imagine that sales of the drivers are up significantly over the past few years. And almost everyone knows its a Fostex driver.  One of the few scenarios were just about everyone wins.

Yes but the T50RP's are going out the door for only a $100 and sound pretty decent.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here.  Buried at work.

Here's where I'm coming from:

First, Dan:  Holy crap!  These things are awesome.  It's one of the very few times in life that I've gotten a product that is absolutely worth more than I paid for it.  You've done a spectacular job with the Alpha Dog.    

Now, the rest of the story:  as I was waiting for the AD's, I came across a pair of TH600's on sale.  Being the impatient sort, I picked them up.  And greatly enjoyed them.  They're a magnitude better than the aged DT990's (250 ohm) that I had been using both for my radio work and for general listening.

But, then, I got the AD's.  And the same magnitude of difference I heard between my old phones and the TH600s, I again heard, between the TH600s and the ADs.  Breathtaking.  The day they came in, I'd hoped to listen for 20 minutes or so as my family watched the Olympics.  2 hours later, I wondered why everyone else was going to bed.  I was just getting started!  Songs that I had just rediscovered with the TH600s were again renewed, but to an even greater level.  Stuff I'd been listening to for decades came alive.  (I especially enjoyed my Crystal Method cuts).

With the TH600s, I tried to explain to my son about how you should be able to place instruments and voices within the soundstage (listening to Lyle Lovett's "Church").  With the AD's on the same tune, it seemed I had the perspective of the piano player!  Incredible.  

So, I'm happy for Fostex, selling their little T50RP's for a C-note a copy.  But they're also trying to sell the TH600 for SUBSTANTIALLY more.  And, quite frankly, there's absolutely no reason to buy the TH600 with the Alpha Dogs around.  The TH600 does NOTHING better than the Alpha Dog, and the Alpha Dog does EVERYTHING better than the TH600, and for less.  Whoever was in charge of the TH600 project at Fostex should be ashamed.  All of the resources at hand, and none of the results.  Job One at Fostex should be hiring Dan, at least as a consultant.  

Now, my question is whether to retire the DT990's and use the TH600s as my radio monitors, or soldier on with the DT990 and sell the TH600.  

Congratulations, Dan.  Job well done!

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #5,748 of 9,071
  My impressions of the Alpha Dogs after spending some time with them:

http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/1xtoho/mrspeakers_alpha_dogs_not_very_detailed_extended/

Interesting review.  My "take away" from this is that the Alpha Dogs ranked as follows:

Bass enjoyment -- Ranked second
Mids      "          -- Ranked first
Treble    "          -- Ranked first

To me, that's a win for the Alpha Dogs v. the LCD-2 and HE500

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #5,749 of 9,071

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here.  Buried at work.

Here's where I'm coming from:

First, Dan:  Holy crap!  These things are awesome.  It's one of the very few times in life that I've gotten a product that is absolutely worth more than I paid for it.  You've done a spectacular job with the Alpha Dog.  

Now, the rest of the story:  as I was waiting for the AD's, I came across a pair of TH600's on sale.  Being the impatient sort, I picked them up.  And greatly enjoyed them.  They're a magnitude better than the aged DT990's (250 ohm) that I had been using both for my radio work and for general listening.

But, then, I got the AD's.  And the same magnitude of difference I heard between my old phones and the TH600s, I again heard, between the TH600s and the ADs.  Breathtaking.  The day they came in, I'd hoped to listen for 20 minutes or so as my family watched the Olympics.  2 hours later, I wondered why everyone else was going to bed.  I was just getting started!  Songs that I had just rediscovered with the TH600s were again renewed, but to an even greater level.  Stuff I'd been listening to for decades came alive.  (I especially enjoyed my Crystal Method cuts).

With the TH600s, I tried to explain to my son about how you should be able to place instruments and voices within the soundstage (listening to Lyle Lovett's "Church").  With the AD's on the same tune, it seemed I had the perspective of the piano player!  Incredible.

So, I'm happy for Fostex, selling their little T50RP's for a C-note a copy.  But they're also trying to sell the TH600 for SUBSTANTIALLY more.  And, quite frankly, there's absolutely no reason to buy the TH600 with the Alpha Dogs around.  The TH600 does NOTHING better than the Alpha Dog, and the Alpha Dog does EVERYTHING better than the TH600, and for less.  Whoever was in charge of the TH600 project at Fostex should be ashamed.  All of the resources at hand, and none of the results.  Job One at Fostex should be hiring Dan, at least as a consultant.

Now, my question is whether to retire the DT990's and use the TH600s as my radio monitors, or soldier on with the DT990 and sell the TH600.

Congratulations, Dan.  Job well done!

Good observation, and I concede the point.  I have no experience with Fostex Headphones, so I obviously did not get what you were referring to.

And yes, Crystal Method is astounding on these.

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #5,750 of 9,071
Just got my iDSD today. I had a little of listen straight from it. Momentums it driven very well, Alpha Dogs were just loud enough. So I connected iDSD to Pan Am. The sound was quite weak, like something was missing. Maybe I wanted to be too quick, and tubes were not hot enough. Anyways I decided to replace them with new NOS Mullards. The observed change was huge. I can tell only that iDSD -> Pan Am on Mullards -> Alpha Dog is a killer. That's it, I feel epic! Ineed iDSD was a DAC upgrade, while Mullards were great upgrade for Pan Am, and Alpha Dogs simply shine with this setup. And believe be or not, but they shine very well:)

So, if someone said Alpha Dogs scale well with gear upgrade he/she was absolutely right. These are one pair of very awesome dogs :rolleyes:

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #5,752 of 9,071
Shipping notices are a royal pain.  We use PayPal for all payment processing but they ONLY send confirmation of shipping to you if the email you used to sign in to MrSpeakers is the same as a valid PayPal account.  Why?  Ask PayPal.  

So for those who want shipping notices, IF you have a PayPal account, please use that email when you purchase from www.mrspeakers.com, otherwise we have to manually find your tracking information.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 14, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #5,753 of 9,071
  Shipping notices are a royal pain.  We use PayPal for all payment processing but they ONLY send confirmation of shipping to you if the email you used to sign in to MrSpeakers is the same as a valid PayPal account.  Why?  Ask PayPal.  

So for those who want shipping notices, IF you have a PayPal account, please use that email when you purchase from www.mrspeakers.com, otherwise we have to manually find your tracking information.

thanks for the info. sent my order information to you via PM. appreciate it...

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #5,754 of 9,071
so dan sends me my shipping info...and USPS said it was delivered on feb. 03. only problem is that i never received them...dan and i are trying to figure out what's up...

so i could have been listening to them the last 11 days, but...yikes!

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #5,755 of 9,071

Ouch! Hopefully the postal dude isn't jamming out with them on his postal route.

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #5,756 of 9,071
  so dan sends me my shipping info...and USPS said it was delivered on feb. 03. only problem is that i never received them...dan and i are trying to figure out what's up...

This happened to me today, I had to check at my local post office and they had my D5000's sitting there even if the USPS tracking said the delivery was complete.

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #5,757 of 9,071

This happened to me today, I had to check at my local post office and they had my D5000's sitting there even if the USPS tracking said the delivery was complete.

good to know. thanks for the info...i'm going to check with the post office tomorrow and see if it might still be there. but i have no "Delivery Attempted" notice so have no idea what to tell them...hmm...

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #5,758 of 9,071
  good to know. thanks for the info...i'm going to check with the post office tomorrow and see if it might still be there. but i have no "Delivery Attempted" notice so have no idea what to tell them...hmm...

I didn't have a notice either, I only went there cause the usps site said that the delivery was complete(when in reality, no one knocked at my door/rang). Best of luck!

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #5,759 of 9,071
This used to happen to me a lot when I ordered parts delivered through UPS. The driver would be late and would mark them delivered before he actually got there. He did actually show eventually though...

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #5,760 of 9,071

Other companies manage a system for tracking..... mine were delivered safely. YET, we have kids, that on their way home from school, just love playing with mailboxes! I have an oversized mailbox to accept the larger package.

On a different note after three days of pounding and abuse, they are sounding quite wonderful! The most open and layered "closed" phone I have ever encountered. A good, even response that offers no fatigue, a nice comfortable fit that befits using for several extended hours of pleasure. Wonderful!! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back