MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Jan 21, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #5,251 of 9,071
  well i was about to buy these headphones, but then after reading here i backed out for the following reason:

1- it seems so much contradicting info about how to amp it, and initially i wanted a headphones than can benefit from a portable amp like fiio e11, as I use the fiiox3+fiio e11 as my gear. So since this gear might not give me the power needed to get the good sound I back out from ordering it

2- I am completely mixed up how is the base, some say its flat, and not that good of a bass????

3- I look for a headphone that I can use on my fiiox3+ fiio e11 would that be a bad combo, I use that combo with my audio technica m50, the sound is ok but not that great, I hate the lack of base in the audio technica so will I also find the lack of base with AD with my combo

For what it's worth, I also own the ATH-M50's. I do not find a lack of BASS at all. However, there is a lack of base as this is not baseball nor a chemical experiment.

I normally listen to heavy metal, but like to test out instrumental techno and dubstep every once in a while. The bass seems adequate, yet not overpowering.

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #5,252 of 9,071
  well i was about to buy these headphones, but then after reading here i backed out for the following reason:

1- it seems so much contradicting info about how to amp it, and initially i wanted a headphones than can benefit from a portable amp like fiio e11, as I use the fiiox3+fiio e11 as my gear. So since this gear might not give me the power needed to get the good sound I back out from ordering it

2- I am completely mixed up how is the base, some say its flat, and not that good of a bass????

3- I look for a headphone that I can use on my fiiox3+ fiio e11 would that be a bad combo, I use that combo with my audio technica m50, the sound is ok but not that great, I hate the lack of base in the audio technica so will I also find the lack of base with AD with my combo

1. I would say if you can afford it sell off the e11 for $40-$50 and spend the extra money to buy an e12. In that price range the e12 drives the ADs much better. At this point a lot of us are just being really picky. While the E12 does not do an amazing job it will get the job done. Atleast for the mad dogs which most likely have similar driving requirements.

2+3. The bass is going to be all about quality not quantity on these headphones. From what I have heard from people the quality characteristics of the mad dogs are carried over and maybe even increased the characteristics. If you like large boomy subwoofers these headphones probably would not be the headphones for you. I find the M50's to have a lot of overpowering bass. The way the ads are often perceived as is that it is a quick, fast, punchy bass. However the quantity of the bass is less than the M50 headphones. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #5,253 of 9,071

It's fine to prefer what you prefer, but these sorts of measurements are generally pretty accurate. Here, this is one posted by a Fiio sponsor:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620339/fiio-flagship-portable-amp-mont-blanc-e12-discussing-thread-the-pre-order-unit-arrives/1005#post_9132609

It shows the same results, so this should accurately reflect the device's performance. But, again, if you prefer the sound, then that's all there is to it.

I see, this also shows why I like the E12 bass boost for the AD. 
smile.gif

Jan 21, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #5,254 of 9,071

I see, this also shows why I like the E12 bass boost for the AD. 
smile.gif

so is there a better portable amp for the AD that can be connected to the fiio x3 

Jan 21, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #5,256 of 9,071
  so is there a better portable amp for the AD that can be connected to the fiio x3 

There are many. The E12 is just the best Fiio makes. It's also the least expensive in its class. You will hear a lot of people talk about how this cable sounds better, or that amp sounds better. I am sure if I was critically listening, I could tell the difference between a more expensive amp and the e12.

however the e12 is in my opinion, the least expensive option where you have enough to drive the Alpha Dogs, and can feel comfortable that your headphones don't greatly outclass your amp.

If I buy another portable amp, it will be many times more expensive, as the ones under $400, to me, are going to sound pretty much the same. My next amp will most likely be the HiFi-M8 (if i buy another one).

http://centrance.com/products/hifi-m8/

Jan 21, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #5,257 of 9,071

I just can say that I prefer the E12 over the C5 for the Alpha Dogs. I didn't like the E11 and E07k for the AD at all. 

I thought the opposite. XD
The E12 sounded more congested and less transparent with the Alpha Dog compared to the C5, and the E12's warmth wasn't such a good pairing with the already warm-sounding Alpha Dog from when I tried it.

The HiFi-M8 seems to be a popular choice for a transportable amp.

Jan 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #5,258 of 9,071
I thought the opposite. XD
The E12 sounded more congested and less transparent with the Alpha Dog compared to the C5, and the E12's warmth wasn't such a good pairing with the already warm-sounding Alpha Dog from when I tried it.

The HiFi-M8 seems to be a popular choice for a transportable amp.

I agree, the E12 sounded is congested in compare to many amps but I like it better than the C5 for the AD, it's just my personal preference. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #5,260 of 9,071

Sad to see you came to this result.

Listen, I'm new to this forum, but hardly new to high fidelity and I'm definitely not a newbie on the internet.  You can ALWAYS find someone with an opinion about what you should get.  It's possible to read too much into these unsolicited opinions.  (there's an old saying: opinions are like @ssholes; everyone has one, and most of them stink :) ).

Now, I have yet to put an ear to my AD's, but here's what I know:  1) the headphones are just about universally praised and are favorably compared to similar cans costing 2-3x more; 2) Dan, the guy who makes these things, actually gives a damn, and you can talk to the guy on the phone.   I've done it.  This was one of the biggest reasons I went with the AD's over, say, the new Shures.  3)  The product is in HUGE demand.  If you pick it up and don't like it, there WILL be a secondary market for your AD's.  

Yes, there has been a Large Deal of discussion about what amp does whatever with which... I've heard all of this before.  Sometimes, you have to look not at what's being said, but at the nature of the argument.  For instance, there's a never-ending debate about whether the human ear can discern any difference between a 320 file and a WAV file.  You don't have to take a side on the argument, you just need to see that it's recurring.  That means that a significant % of people continue to hear no difference.  See also, arguments about power cables.  You can hear a difference?  Groovy.  I'll take my chances but I appreciate your concerns!

Your amp may make a difference.  It just may!  But maybe your gear will work 100% to your liking with the AD's.  We're all testing combinations (if they matter) and this whole hobby is based on personal preference... if there is a difference... that you hear... and dislike...  But even if the dominoes fall the wrong way, you can still resell the AD's and come out like a rose.  All you'd be out, really, is the time you spent waiting.

Peace!

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #5,261 of 9,071
  Sad to see you came to this result.

Listen, I'm new to this forum, but hardly new to high fidelity and I'm definitely not a newbie on the internet.  You can ALWAYS find someone with an opinion about what you should get.  It's possible to read too much into these unsolicited opinions.  (there's an old saying: opinions are like @ssholes; everyone has one, and most of them stink :) ).

Now, I have yet to put an ear to my AD's, but here's what I know:  1) the headphones are just about universally praised and are favorably compared to similar cans costing 2-3x more; 2) Dan, the guy who makes these things, actually gives a damn, and you can talk to the guy on the phone.   I've done it.  This was one of the biggest reasons I went with the AD's over, say, the new Shures.  3)  The product is in HUGE demand.  If you pick it up and don't like it, there WILL be a secondary market for your AD's.  

Yes, there has been a Large Deal of discussion about what amp does whatever with which... I've heard all of this before.  Sometimes, you have to look not at what's being said, but at the nature of the argument.  For instance, there's a never-ending debate about whether the human ear can discern any difference between a 320 file and a WAV file.  You don't have to take a side on the argument, you just need to see that it's recurring.  That means that a significant % of people continue to hear no difference.  See also, arguments about power cables.  You can hear a difference?  Groovy.  I'll take my chances but I appreciate your concerns!

Your amp may make a difference.  It just may!  But maybe your gear will work 100% to your liking with the AD's.  We're all testing combinations (if they matter) and this whole hobby is based on personal preference... if there is a difference... that you hear... and dislike...  But even if the dominoes fall the wrong way, you can still resell the AD's and come out like a rose.  All you'd be out, really, is the time you spent waiting.

Peace!

I felt this post had to be in this thread twice so I quoted it. Nicely said.

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #5,262 of 9,071

I felt this post had to be in this thread twice so I quoted it. Nicely said.

I agree 100%.

The thing people need to remember, is most everyone here is a hobbyist. Trying 10 different amps with a set of headphones, and talking about it is the activity. If you were not a hobbyist (me), and just wanted great sounding music, the difference between most of these amps is zero. Sure, one might sound slightly different, but I am not going to care.

It's why I dropped it on the e12 debate. It just doesn't really mean that much to me the difference, and I am the 95% of those that listen to music. The other 5% are the ones to debate it on forums, because it's what they like to do.

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #5,263 of 9,071
I agree 100%.

The thing people need to remember, is most everyone here is a hobbyist. Trying 10 different amps with a set of headphones, and talking about it is the activity. If you were not a hobbyist (me), and just wanted great sounding music, the difference between most of these amps is zero. Sure, one might sound slightly different, but I am not going to care.

It's why I dropped it on the e12 debate. It just doesn't really mean that much to me the difference, and I am the 95% of those that listen to music. The other 5% are the ones to debate it on forums, because it's what they like to do.

If this is how you truly feel why do you "waste" time reading these forums. You obviously have a very low opinion of what we do here..

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #5,264 of 9,071
If this is how you truly feel why do you "waste" time reading these forums. You obviously have a very low opinion of what we do here..

Nope. Pick anything in the world. Art, Photography, Music, Video Games, Movies, Cars, Dogs, whatever, and you have those who love the details so much that they collect on a forum and talk about them.

I don't have a low opinion of any of them. If someone on a car site loves transitions, and wants to talk about gear ratios until there hearts content, I think it's great. I just am not that interested in it.

However if I really needed the perfect transmission, you better believe I will find that corner of the internet, and ask a lot of questions :).

The knowledge of those here have been incredible in my search for better music hardware. I value your knowledge a great deal, and just because I don't care about the nuances one speaker cable might have over another, I don't devalue your desire to enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back