MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Dec 30, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #4,816 of 9,071
Received my AD phones a few days ago. With so much anticipation due to the big hype around these cans, I couldn't wait, so I immediately and mercilessly subjected them to a smack down against all my cans: open LCD3s and K702s (both for home use), closed Sennheiser HD 280 Pro (for DJing) and even the deep ear Etymotic HF2 (for air travel)... I did not, however, include the Beats Wireless Bluetooth headphones (for gym only) because, well, that's just wrong

I won't do a full review here, since so many have already been published.

Initial observations: Compared to all other phones I own, right out of the box, these new dogs on the block sounded flat, compressed and lifeless. If I didn't know better, I would have sent them back to Dan. But once again (let the controversy begin, one more time) after only a few hours of use, they came to life. Soundstage busted out, smoothness set in, instruments unglued from each other and they did that disappearing act that I've only experienced on the AKGs and Audezes. Once these canines woke up, driven by Ray Samuels Raptor tube amp, they literally got better by the hour. And those hours go by fast, since they are the most comfortable cans ever (for my skull, anyway).

Second day impressions: The AD are clearly (to my ears) in second place in OEF (overall enjoyment factor), besting the AKGs, but being trumped by the 3X more expensive LCD3 (which must be hand-made by virgin angels in some cloud kingdom somewhere... they are just impossibly good).

Conclusion: Do not judge these cans in any critical comparisons until you have, I'm guessing, at least 20 hours of use behind them! Once they break-in, they are incredible and actually worthy of the hype.

Recommendation: Order a pair now. Probably the best $600 you'll ever spend on audio gear. Congratulations Dan. Truly a game-changing achievement. I award the Alpha Dogs the "Best Value in Audio" award for 2013.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #4,817 of 9,071
I'm sorry, I have to share this. It actually got me excited tonight.

I normally listen to my AD's through my modded Zana Deux and it sounds nice but for a change I thought I'd try it off my transportable Analog Squared Paper TUR-06 hybrid tube amp (iPhone 4S/VentureCraft DD LE Muses01 DAC). This just brought the AD alive! Bass was kicking, trebles were crystal & airy and felt more dynamic, vibrant, and energetic over the Zana Deux which felt more mellow and laid back.

Loving this setup now.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #4,818 of 9,071
Nice. I think I want to buy and build a Bottlehead Crack but in my condition I still want everything is as portable as possible because I move up and down with my laptop in my house every morning and evening. Need to check for the price and specs of this small tube amp.

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #4,820 of 9,071
  Nice. I think I want to buy and build a Bottlehead Crack but in my condition I still want everything is as portable as possible because I move up and down with my laptop in my house every morning and evening. Need to check for the price and specs of this small tube amp.

Bottlehead Crack is an OTL and it's not a good pair with the AD. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #4,821 of 9,071
A question for more knowledgeable individuals. I'm getting a balanced DAC/amp that does both 4-pin XLR and 1/4" output sometime around the middle of the year (Geek Pulse). I'll be upgrading my Mad Dogs to Alpha Dogs and I plan to get them with the 4-pin XLR cable. So this is where your personal experience can greatly benefit me. I'm considering getting an adapter, male 1/4" to female 4-pin XLR, to let me use the AD with my current SE equipment until then. If I do go this route, where would one procure such an adapter on a budget? I've found old posts on head-fi about Zombie-X cables and such for around $30 or so. It wouldn't need to be long, a couple inches would be perfect.

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #4,822 of 9,071
  Last night, I got a chance to listen to Fostex T50RP, I cannot believe their drivers are as same as Alpha Dogs’.  Dan – what is the magic behind this? 

No magic, just 3 years accumulated work on engineering and manufacturing. :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 30, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #4,824 of 9,071
Lol! Thanks...

Looks like something I would find stamped on my daughter's homework!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #4,826 of 9,071
the look gets definetely  better after burn in, i heard 
darthsmile.gif

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #4,827 of 9,071
Tomorrow's shipments will bring us to orders placed through Nov 8.

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #4,829 of 9,071
  I keep coming back to this damn thread.  These seem like a relative bargain based on the hype, Re: sound.  Only thing holding me back is the weight.  I don't like heavy cans.  Ugh.

Wait for the helium filled version out in May.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #4,830 of 9,071
  I keep coming back to this damn thread.  These seem like a relative bargain based on the hype, Re: sound.  Only thing holding me back is the weight.  I don't like heavy cans.  Ugh.

I have now spent many, many hours with the HP's, and honestly the weight just doesn't seem to be an issue. Unless you are shaking your head about or running around the house, I seriously don't see how you would even notice. Just plug them and let them take you to another place, quite sublime really. I am in love with my AD's!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back