MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Dec 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #4,771 of 9,071
  I guess my question, specifically for the AlphaDogs to be on topic, is there such a headphone that exists (besides the Mad Dogs), that have slightly more emphasis on the bass, but still exhibits clear separation from the low end, mid range, and high end that I *think* the Alpha Dogs do (i.e. the low end does not bleed into the vocals). Is such a thing possible? Is such a thing always bass heavy? Am I in the wrong thread :)

I would say the closest thing to what you're looking for is the Thunderpants. Good luck getting a pair made by Smeggy -- there are other threads that address this so look elsewhere for details. But if bass is what you're looking for then try and find a pair used on the forums. They have way more bass impact than the Alphadogs. The mids are great. High end... well I think they're in the same boat as the Alphas. The high end can be a bit rough with certain music. Some people feel they sound like you are in a tunnel or something. Some music it seems more apparent than others. Piano notes can have this weird harsh edge to them. When I think of Planars I don't think of high end (treble). Maybe you'd want HiFiMan's HE-6 or HE-500 for that. Overall, I love 'em for some types of music -- think electronic and some rock.

Dec 27, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #4,772 of 9,071
  I would say the closest thing to what you're looking for is the Thunderpants. Good luck getting a pair made by Smeggy -- there are other threads that address this so look elsewhere for details. But if bass is what you're looking for then try and find a pair used on the forums. They have way more bass impact than the Alphadogs. The mids are great. High end... well I think they're in the same boat as the Alphas. The high end can be a bit rough with certain music. Some people feel they sound like you are in a tunnel or something. Some music it seems more apparent than others. Piano notes can have this weird harsh edge to them. When I think of Planars I don't think of high end (treble). Maybe you'd want HiFiMan's HE-6 or HE-500 for that. Overall, I love 'em for some types of music -- think electronic and some rock.

That's funny you mention piano here. I have the original score of Thomas Newman - The Horse Whisperer that I really enjoy but that appears to be sort of a benchmark for piano for me: so far, only the airy headphones like the Hifimen and the AKG K/Q701 could render the piano tracks properly. I don't know if this particular recording is flawed or what, but it is a no go with the Alpha Dogs. Piano sounds off (too "heavy"). The same goes for the LCD-X. It is perfect with all the Hifimen expect the HE-400...

Keith Jarrett has no such problem, though.

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #4,773 of 9,071
Yup the LCD2 has the same issue but to a lesser degree than the Thunderpants. I guess it's an ortho thing? My other non-ortho headphones don't have this issue. I didn't really notice the glare or harshness on the alphadogs at the last NYC area meet. Then again I only listened to a few tracks from the new Daft Punk. Everything sounded great with no noticeable harshness.

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #4,774 of 9,071
Top notch review Mad Lust Envy. Very thorough, informative and well written. :cool:

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #4,775 of 9,071
Excellent review MLE !

( I got myself a Schiit Bifrost Uber DAC for Christmas, and it has been burning-in while relatives were visiting, so I hope this weekend to be able to revisit my Alpha Dog impressions with it.  It's definitely a step up from my previous DAC, so it will be interesting. I've already noticed that piano is exceptionally good on the Bifrost on my speakers. )

By the way, in theory, if the tonality ( timbre ) of all instruments is exactly correct, then the treble response must be correct as well.   If the treble were off, then the overtones ( harmonics ) of some instrument would be wrong...

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #4,776 of 9,071
@Mad Lust Envy - Very nice and very well written review, and very entertaining as well.  I pretty much concur.  I was an early beta tester, have heard the final version, and am looking forward to my pair.  I am an acknowledged fanboy for sure.  I think you captured the degree of openess they possess very well.  They are not an HD650 or 800.  At their best they are more open to me than the LCD2, at their worst, they are still the most open sounding closed headphone I have heard.  I do not recall having issue with the treble, but it is much more present than the Mad Dog, or the HD650 for that matter.  I'll look for issues when mine arrive.  I use the Sarah McLachlin "Mirror Ball" as that otherwise really great live recording is almost ruined by sibilance with most headphones.  Few if any I've heard do well with it, but some better than others.  Killer review, very on point to me, as I am a fan as well.

Dec 28, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #4,778 of 9,071
Enjoying this combo at the moment, just glorious and engaging music. While the Alpha dogs loses out against other TOTL headphones in technicality, it has no problem pulling you into the music and just forget about judging the sound. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #4,779 of 9,071
deadhorse.gif
 ,  DAAN , 

plz tell us where u are at , in production :)

but if u need holidays ok, just take it. holy dan !

happy xmas and new year anyway

Greetz from germany

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #4,781 of 9,071
Has anybody posted impressions with the HP-P1 yet, or does anyone who hasn't care to share what they think of the combo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back