MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Nov 23, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #4,081 of 9,071

The instrumental detail of the Alpha Dog is its strongest point.  The custom cups and the individual tuning combine to give a very flat and even frequency response which gives a very natural timbre, and the combination of that natural timbre and instrumental detail is its "signature quality".  So vocals sound natural and detailed.

To me, transparency is the sum of the whole system's reproduction of music, so probably I use the word differently than you.   I find the Alpha Dog vocals to be neither "forward" nor "recessed".  (Although probably slightly more forward than the Mad Dogs.)

Thanks.  I almost feel compelled to buy them on looks alone.

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #4,082 of 9,071
  For those interested, the AK120 drives the Alpha Dog very very well with headroom to spare

733885_325686900906905_413129615_n.jpg

You really want Grado or Senns adapter to lessen stress on the HP jack

Nov 24, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #4,089 of 9,071
Seems like there are multiple places to post equipment reviews.  It can be in this thread, full-size headphone forum, and then there is the head-gear review forum.

I posted my almost 2 month experience with the Alpha Dog here....
http://www.head-fi.org/products/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-t50rp-mod/reviews/9993

If I post it here it might clog up a whole page with my pseudo-audiophile ramblings and fake techno-babble 
biggrin.gif

Great job Dan, really enjoying the Alpha Dogs 

Nov 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #4,090 of 9,071
Just rotated Very-Bass screws 1 revolution counter-clockwise, ports opened over half. I think (but maybe I'm wrong and it's other way around) I get less low frequency bass now, and more high frequency bass. Nevertheless I feel way less pressure on my eardrum, which was previously causing some pain in my right ear (I don't listen too loud, it's Pan Am on low gain at 10 o'clock setting). Since I don't know what exactly should I expect when touching these screws, could someone (Dan?) explain :xf_eek:

Nov 24, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #4,091 of 9,071
Just rotated Very-Bass screws 1 revolution counter-clockwise, ports opened over half. I think (but maybe I'm wrong and it's other way around) I get less low frequency bass now, and more high frequency bass. Nevertheless I feel way less pressure on my eardrum, which was previously causing some pain in my right ear (I don't listen too loud, it's Pan Am on low gain at 10 o'clock setting). Since I don't know what exactly should I expect when touching these screws, could someone (Dan?) explain
redface.gif

That sounds about right. That is what happens when you increase the size/width of a port on a bass reflex speaker. 

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #4,093 of 9,071
  Just got a notification there's a box waiting for me to collect at the mailroom

Going to be a fun night
gs1000.gif

Eek, wow! Please report back ASAP! 

Sometimes, I think 3D printers might end up changing the world as we know it.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #4,094 of 9,071

Eek, wow! Please report back ASAP! 

Sometimes, I think 3D printers might end up changing the world as we know it.

was hoping to have hifi m8 ready to pair with it but unfortunately still waiting on that.

might have to experiment a bit with other parts at home.. i'll give it a go with NAD M51 + C162 preamp. Don't have any dedicated headphone amps around.

i guess in theory i could make some speaker taps but not feeling comfortable to connect any headphones to a 120wpc power amp..

Haven't had a chance to properly listen to them yet but I am happy with the build quality. It's been said before but the pictures don't do the paint finish justice. It really looks great in person. I'm impressed with the alpha pads too. Old news to most of you guys I guess, but handling them for the first time - the materials are obviously high quality and they're damn comfy.

I bought them to use at work but don't think i will now, they would draw too much attention. if a matte black option was offered i would have taken it for this reason. Also, the isolation is too good for work. it's a lot like wearing earmuffs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back