MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Nov 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #4,051 of 9,071

The highs of the AD and HE500 are a non-factor in your case. However, I will say the HE500 wins for soundtracks and orchestral due to its openess.

Thank you. Another factor would be how pricy is the required amplification for these cans ? I guess If I spend on one of those I won't be able to spend in a pricy amp for a while.

If you are never going to buy a headphone amplifier, then I would not suggest spending $600+ on headphones.

It is okay to wait until you have saved your money, and just use them until then.   But if $700 is your total budget, then you should get a $300 headphone (like the Mad Dog or HE-400) and get a DAC and an Amp for $200-$400.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #4,052 of 9,071
  If you are never going to buy a headphone amplifier, then I would not suggest spending $600+ on headphones.

It is okay to wait until you have saved your money, and just use them until then.   But if $700 is your total budget, then you should get a $300 headphone (like the Mad Dog or HE-400) and get a DAC and an Amp for $200-$400.

Or an Alpha Dog, an O2/Magni/Vali and a line out for your MP3 player, if you have quality files. Or even an E11. Though I have yet to hear the Alpah Dog, I've owned the Mad Dog 3.2. The Fostex T50RP driver is not impossible do drive on a budget. I've always thought better to put your money into headphones if you have an adequate source, even like an ipod classic. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #4,053 of 9,071

Or an Alpha Dog, an O2/Magni/Vali and a line out for your MP3 player, if you have quality files. Or even an E11. Though I have yet to hear the Alpah Dog, I've owned the Mad Dog 3.2. The Fostex T50RP driver is not impossible do drive on a budget. I've always thought better to put your money into headphones if you have an adequate source, even like an ipod classic. 

I like this option also.  Head-fi gets pretty wrapped up in amps.  Really good amps are better.  A decent amp will do a pretty decent job with the AD's.  My iBasso PB2 portable did a great job with them.  The O2 did well with the Mad Dogs, suspect it would do well with the AD's.  The O2 is not a favorite of mine, but it does a pretty good job.  You don't need a multi hundred dollar amp to make the AD's sound good.  On the other hand, it is absolutely OK to WANT a multi hundred or multi thousand dollar amp!

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #4,054 of 9,071

beerchug.gif

Actually we have caught up to October 6.  

Oh snap that means mine will go out tomorrow....maybe!!!

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #4,055 of 9,071
The biggest improvement in my system was going from the built-in receiver DAC to a $150 asynchronous USB DAC.  I was so impressed that I traded it in on their $350 model.   IMHO, this makes more of a difference than headphones or amp, but if you're not a musician you may not think so...

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #4,057 of 9,071
I am expecting to be in a shorter backorder by mid Jan, so we'll start the upgrade program around then, in limited volumes.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 21, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #4,058 of 9,071
My personal hierarchy of what effects the most change in the chain:

Headphone > Source Material = DAC > Amplifier > my mood/time of day > cables > interconnects.

Diminishing returns become a factor very quickly, but more expensive =/= necessary mean better for your preferences. No need to break the bank to find sonic satisfaction. I think that is one if the main reasons I enjoy MrSpeakers products so much - Satisfaction without the premium. Not that $300-$600 is easy on the wallet It's a lot of money for most, but in perspective of the hobby as a whole.

I think similar values can be found in other parts in the chain as well without waking the wallet-kraken.

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #4,059 of 9,071
My personal hierarchy of what effects the most change in the chain:

Headphone > Source Material = DAC > Amplifier > my mood/time of day > cables > interconnects.

Diminishing returns become a factor very quickly, but more expensive =/= necessary mean better for your preferences. No need to break the bank to find sonic satisfaction. I think that is one if the main reasons I enjoy MrSpeakers products so much - Satisfaction without the premium. Not that $300-$600 is easy on the wallet It's a lot of money for most, but in perspective of the hobby as a whole.

I think similar values can be found in other parts in the chain as well without waking the wallet-kraken.

Do you care to share the rest of your favorite wallet-saver gear in your chain?
My Mad Dog isnt too far with the LCD that I have heard of.

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #4,061 of 9,071
I have to say guys that I had my first taste of both the Mad Dog and Alpha Dog headphones at the weekend at our headphone open day, Mark the UK Distributor bought them along, we had a good turnout and everyone was really really impressed with both but mainly the Alpha Dog's, I really do not think that in the UK there is anything like them for the money, they are incredible value offering performance that no other headphone in my opinion could get close to, open or closed back, needless to say I signed on the dotted line to be a MrSpeakers dealer :)

you can see fellow Head-fi'er 'ninjapirate's' excellent pictures from our event here -

http://www.head-fi.org/t/687283/headphone-open-day-hifi-lounge-uk-november-16th-prizes-and-special-one-off-prices/15#post_9996778

Cheers,
Paul.

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #4,064 of 9,071
  Hey, I saw the vali in the pics. Was that amp paired with the AD? 

I will be evaluating the Alpha Dogs with the Vali on the day after Schiit start shipping.   BTW, Dan likes the Vali with his headphones.

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #4,065 of 9,071
  I will be evaluating the Alpha Dogs with the Vali on the day after Schiit start shipping.   BTW, Dan likes the Vali with his headphones.

I got a chance to hear the Vali and Alpha Dogs paired up together at the San Diego Head-fi meet. I found them very revealing and neutral with a clean tube sound. I felt though that they were somewhat a bit too analytical sounding for my taste. They lacked the oomph and power that the Cavalli Liquid Glass amp had that was next to it as well as the bass weight. For a $100 amp though I shouldn't even be comparing the two.

I have an Asgard 2 already though so the Vali isn't really an option for me YET since I preferred my A2 with my own pair of headphones.

I didn't get a chance to hear the Alpha Dogs with the A2 since I didn't bring my amp to the meet.

It would be interesting to see how the Schiit stacks up in comparison side by side

Users who are viewing this thread

Back