MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Nov 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #4,096 of 9,071

i guess in theory i could make some speaker taps but not feeling comfortable to connect any headphones to a 120wpc power amp..

This is actually my preferred method.  WAY cheaper than paying top dollar for high-powered HP amps, and the sound quality is stili stellar.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #4,097 of 9,071
Hey everyone!

This is really just a post for Dan.

So I am not an audiophile. I love music, and enjoy quality in everything. I am a software developer, and gamer who wanted more from his system then the average sound. I picked up an ASUS Xonar Essence STX card for my PC, and then wanted to see what was out there that's better then the audio-technica ATH-M50's that I use.

being these are pretty good $150 headphones, I knew I had to go up to the $300 range or so if I wanted to recognize a difference. After researching how best to spend $300 on headphones, I ended on on MrSpeakers site, and the Mad Dogs.

I then saw the Alpha Dogs, and dug into all the online content I could about then, and in the end, I chose the Alpha Dogs. I put my order in last week. The reason I chose them, is when I buy something, I always fear that if I get into it, I will feel I under-bought. SO for example, if I buy a digital camera, and then really get into photography (I did), I don't want to then realize I need to go get a new camera to really get into it. I bought a high end camera right off the bat, and still have it (5D Mk II). So with headphones, these seem to be the best I am going to find under a grand, and I know I am the type of consumer that will never spend a grand on a pair of headphones. 

The main reason for this post, is to just let you know your headphones are reaching a wider audience then the audiophile crowd. I realize I am just one data point, but I suspect I am not alone. 

Oh, and I do have a quick question. I don't think this is the kind of thing that other companies withhold, but if it's an inappropriate question, I apologize...

How many of these do you produce in a week? I mainly want to know, because it's fun to know I own something rather exclusive. I figured with a 6 week wait time, it can't be that many of them. It's also great to see your in such demand (even though it means I have to wait so long).

Take care,
Jeremy

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #4,098 of 9,071
  Hey everyone!

This is really just a post for Dan.

So I am not an audiophile. I love music, and enjoy quality in everything. I am a software developer, and gamer who wanted more from his system then the average sound. I picked up an ASUS Xonar Essence STX card for my PC, and then wanted to see what was out there that's better then the audio-technica ATH-M50's that I use.

being these are pretty good $150 headphones, I knew I had to go up to the $300 range or so if I wanted to recognize a difference. After researching how best to spend $300 on headphones, I ended on on MrSpeakers site, and the Mad Dogs.

I then saw the Alpha Dogs, and dug into all the online content I could about then, and in the end, I chose the Alpha Dogs. I put my order in last week. The reason I chose them, is when I buy something, I always fear that if I get into it, I will feel I under-bought. SO for example, if I buy a digital camera, and then really get into photography (I did), I don't want to then realize I need to go get a new camera to really get into it. I bought a high end camera right off the bat, and still have it (5D Mk II). So with headphones, these seem to be the best I am going to find under a grand, and I know I am the type of consumer that will never spend a grand on a pair of headphones. 

The main reason for this post, is to just let you know your headphones are reaching a wider audience then the audiophile crowd. I realize I am just one data point, but I suspect I am not alone. 

Oh, and I do have a quick question. I don't think this is the kind of thing that other companies withhold, but if it's an inappropriate question, I apologize...

How many of these do you produce in a week? I mainly want to know, because it's fun to know I own something rather exclusive. I figured with a 6 week wait time, it can't be that many of them. It's also great to see your in such demand (even though it means I have to wait so long).

Take care,
Jeremy

So you think now 
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #4,100 of 9,071

Funny you should post this.. I'm a software dev / gamer with an essence stx too
normal_smile .gif

Got home a bit late and just wanted to see what the ADs sounded like so I plugged them into my PC with essence stx. Fired up some favourite metal tracks and honestly I was not blown away. Moved on to EDM though and there was great synergy- got my first hints as to what the hype was about.

Later on in the night I got my preamp out of storage, hooked up the M51 DAC and tried again - wow! HUGE difference! The metal tracks I'd found congested and uninspiring really opened up with a better source. But the improvement was across the board, even EDM sounded better.

JeremyR: if you are spending the money on the ADs, you need a better source than the Essence ST(X) to remotely do them justice

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #4,101 of 9,071

JeremyR: if you are spending the money on the ADs, you need a better source than the Essence ST(X) to remotely do them justice

Two questions :)

Will they sound better then the M50's with the sound card?

What's the least expensive way to "do them justice"?

Edit: I am justifying the expense by expecting these to be my headphones for the next 10-20 years, so even if my current setup does not do them justice, it's good to know I have the headroom in my headphones to do whatever the next equipment I buy justice :)

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #4,102 of 9,071

Edit: I am justifying the expense by expecting these to be my headphones for the next 10-20 years, so even if my current setup does not do them justice, it's good to know I have the headroom in my headphones to do whatever the next equipment I buy justice :)

Not having heard M50, I can't say for sure, but I can't imagine the AD not sounding better. AD does sound good out of the essence but you are just leaving so much potential performance on the table.

Can't really say what the least expensive way to do them justice is. As we all know increasing audio performance gets exponentially more expensive, and your budget and "good enough" threshold are probably different to mine. There's also other constraints to consider, like what gear you already have, space requirements etc. Also, I've only had mine for <24 hours and tested them with the small selection of gear I own. Incidentally, I would definitely recommend the NAD M51 for both speakers and headphones, but it's certainly not the cheapest option.

I think the course of action with the best end result is to just save space in your budget, and when you have the ADs, take them in to a local shop where you can test them with a range of headphone amps and DACs. Kind of a boring answer, but ultimately gives you the highest chance of satisfaction.

PS: good luck not buying any more gear for 10-20 years- that upgrade itch is hard to resist
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #4,105 of 9,071

First, replying to the replyier :) - I would say that the Essence ST(X) DAC section is good enough, but the amplifier section is not good enough for most planar headphones.  So, you would need an amplifier.   (The new Schiit Vali was released today ($119), but no one (such as I) has received a production model, so you ought to wait a few days for a Vali-with-Alpha-Dog review to appear.)

Second, I am not buying your concept " If I am going to buy my first car, then I should just get a $200,000 Ferrari right from the beginning. "  I'm sure your camera store guys were not interested in arguing against your purchase, however.

So third, in reality the Alpha Dog is a headphone for two types of people - audiophiles and musicians.  In other words, people who have spent thousands of hours listening critically to the very small details of the sound of music.   People who pay more than $300 for headphones are generally disappointed, because the differences are tiny subtleties that require training to hear.  And please note that is not a superiority/inferiority thing (I hate the term "golden ears"), it is just what one is trained to do.

Lindsay Vonn can tell the difference between two slightly differently waxed pair of skis that I could never tell apart if I spent the whole day trying them - because she spends thousands of hours skiing.

So no, I don't recommend high-end audio gear for people buying entry level equipment.

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #4,106 of 9,071
Originally Posted by kstuart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Second, I am not buying your concept " If I am going to buy my first car, then I should just get a $200,000 Ferrari right from the beginning. "  I'm sure your camera store guys were not interested in arguing against your purchase, however.

So third, in reality the Alpha Dog is a headphone for two types of people - audiophiles and musicians.  In other words, people who have spent thousands of hours listening critically to the very small details of the sound of music.   People who pay more than $300 for headphones are generally disappointed, because the differences are tiny subtleties that require training to hear.  And please note that is not a superiority/inferiority thing (I hate the term "golden ears"), it is just what one is trained to do.

Lindsay Vonn can tell the difference between two slightly differently waxed pair of skis that I could never tell apart if I spent the whole day trying them - because she spends thousands of hours skiing.

So no, I don't recommend high-end audio gear for people buying entry level equipment.

Hmm yeah I don't agree with this. High end gear isn't for just people who have "earned the right" to buy it by working their way up from inferior gear or have "specially trained ears".

Case in point. I set up my partner with the AD last night and put on the beatles for her. The expression on her face was priceless - and it was a struggle to get them back! She doesn't own any high end gear at all.

I don't know what youre listening to from the $300 market but I dont know of anything that's going to be subtly different from ADs.

With that said, I do think it is very risky buying high end gear out of the gate. Because without knowing what options are out there, and how your own personal tastes map to those options, you stand a pretty good chance of spending a lot of money but later wishing you spent that money on something different. If you evaluate your options carefully though, buying right first time can save a lot of money vs working your way up the ladder.

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #4,107 of 9,071

Originally Posted by kstuart /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm yeah I don't agree with this. High end gear isn't for just people who have "earned the right" to buy it by working their way up from inferior gear or have "specially trained ears".

Case in point. I set up my partner with the AD last night and put on the beatles for her. The expression on her face was priceless - and it was a struggle to get them back! She doesn't own any high end gear at all.

I don't know what youre listening to from the $300 market but I dont know of anything that's going to be subtly different from ADs.

With that said, I do think it is very risky buying high end gear out of the gate. Because without knowing what options are out there, and how your own personal tastes map to those options, you stand a pretty good chance of spending a lot of money but later wishing you spent that money on something different. If you evaluate your options carefully though, buying right first time can save a lot of money vs working your way up the ladder.

The way you put it as "earned the right" shows that you are missing my point.

The audiophile terminology for what I am talking about is "high end" and "mid-fi".   Someone who just listens to music casually - 99% of people - will actually find that mid-fi gear sounds better to them.

However, most people don't even use mid-fi gear.  They use the Apple ear buds with their iPod, or their iPod in those little iPod cradles with two little cheap speakers.   So, if you let them listen to high-end gear, they will find it sounds better.   But they won't think that Alpha Dogs sound better than Sennheiser HD598 or AT M50.

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #4,108 of 9,071
  First, replying to the replyier :) - I would say that the Essence ST(X) DAC section is good enough, but the amplifier section is not good enough for most planar headphones.  So, you would need an amplifier.   (The new Schiit Vali was released today ($119), but no one (such as I) has received a production model, so you ought to wait a few days for a Vali-with-Alpha-Dog review to appear.)

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't get my headphones for 6 weeks or so, so I can definitely wait.

As for my analogy, if I wanted the "best" camera, I could have gone with a PhaseOne for 50 grand. I don't mean I need the top of the line. I just mean I need something that an enthusiast would still own. When I bought my Guitar, I told the sales guy "Let's say a local pro player was at a gig with his Guitar, and someone put their foot through it. He then walks out to his car and grabs his backup from the trunk. I want whatever was in the trunk".

I used to be a semi-pro paintball player. When I first started, I got the entry level pro marker. When I was winning tournaments and getting all of my expenses paid for, I was using the same marker I bought day one. I had a $1,000 marker while everyone else have a $2,500 top of the line ones, but who won or lost didn't do so based on equipment.

If I had bought a $700 camera, $500 paintball marker, or $200 guitar, I would of had to replace them when I got into the hobby.

That's what I mean. Not that I need the best. I just need something that an enthusiast would find acceptable.

And I take no offence to your remarks about a trained ear. I expect these to be better then my $150 headphones, but if they are not any better then a $300 pair to my ears, I am fine with that. The additional $300 to support someone who makes things, and is well respected by his piers is worth it. I like the story behind the AD's.

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #4,109 of 9,071
You don't need thousands of hours of listening to know what to listen for.  Some people can pick up the details and differences and some people can't.  Yes some need the experience.  OTOH there are those who just don't give a damn.  They can tell exact what the difference the T50RP sounds like with the stock pads, Shure pads or Alpha pads.  but they are fine listening to a pair of Skullcandy's.  It's all down to personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back