MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
May 1, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #9,018 of 9,071
I'm done my full review on these. Normally I would take more time but seeing as how I've been listening almost non-stop since Friday morning I felt like I had enough hours in to write it.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-t50rp-mod/reviews/15888

Hope you guys enjoy the read. 

May 1, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #9,019 of 9,071
Great review! I enjoyed your perspective and insight @k4rstar

May 3, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #9,020 of 9,071
For a closed phone with the obvious limitations of soundstage I have never felt the need to go any further than the Dogs. Tonally they offer a sound I just find delightful in all areas. I am spoilt with a huge First Watt F6 DIY build power amp which really gets the drivers moving. The TH900 was not my cup of tea when I had a listen to it in comparison to the Alpha Dogs

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #9,022 of 9,071
  Any update Dan on the upgrade from Alpha Dog to prime?  Still interested in this.

Dan announced some time ago that this upgrade was not economically feasible. 

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #9,023 of 9,071
Any update Dan on the upgrade from Alpha Dog to prime?  Still interested in this.

Dan got back to me on this same inquiry just yesterday. Here is what he said: "Hi musiclvr, sorry for the delay. We've not been able to keep up enough to do this yet. We will get to it but supporting ETHER sales and finishing the electrostatic are pretty all consuming right now.

Sorry for the delay!"

So maybe there is still hope for other AD owners. Unfortunately I sold my AD's as I couldn't wait anymore and bought something else. Good luck!

Jun 13, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #9,025 of 9,071

Dan announced some time ago that this upgrade was not economically feasible. 

Dan got back to me on this same inquiry just yesterday. Here is what he said: "Hi musiclvr, sorry for the delay. We've not been able to keep up enough to do this yet. We will get to it but supporting ETHER sales and finishing the electrostatic are pretty all consuming right now.

Sorry for the delay!"

So maybe there is still hope for other AD owners. Unfortunately I sold my AD's as I couldn't wait anymore and bought something else. Good luck!

Have you listened to the AD's v the Primes? I have had a listen head to head so wondered if you had

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #9,026 of 9,071
Have you listened to the AD's v the Primes? I have had a listen head to head so wondered if you had

No I haven't. I just ordered a pair of LCD-X's yesterday though. The AD's were sort of my "gateway" planar magnetic HP so who knows if I would have been content with the Primes??? Too bad I never had the opportunity to demo them. There are a lot of used Primes out there for sale right now which I considered buying but I decided I wanted to go all the way with Audeze HP. As much as I appreciated the voicing of the AD I just couldn't be happy with the repurposed parts of the AD so I am glad I didn't sell mine at a loss in order to help fund the LCD X purchase.

Jun 15, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #9,027 of 9,071

I owned Alpha Dogs and loved them.  I got them upgraded as one of Dan's beta test set to Alpha Prime, and thought they were improved in significant ways that made them the best I had ever heard.  I've since sold them in favor of Ether-C, which I think are a step better than Alpha Prime.  YMMV.

Jun 15, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #9,028 of 9,071
  I owned Alpha Dogs and loved them.  I got them upgraded as one of Dan's beta test set to Alpha Prime, and thought they were improved in significant ways that made them the best I had ever heard.  I've since sold them in favor of Ether-C, which I think are a step better than Alpha Prime.  YMMV.

I was also one of the lucky ones to get in on the beta test of the upgrade process. Though I will likely acquire the Ethers at some point, I doubt I will ever part with my Primes, they are magical. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back