MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Aug 17, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #7,771 of 9,071
Yes, my original amp combo was a E17/E09k, prior to getting my Lyr 2. The combination worked fairly well, to be honest it worked well with my Alpha Dogs and HD650's. A tad dark, but musical. Let me know if you want any additional information.

That sounds about what I expected, especially with how revealing the Alpha Dog is. I always thought it was too dark for the HD650 but about right for the HD600. I was imagining it could be a good fit for the Alpha Dog, since I found the Magni a little bright. I thought about the Vali, but honestly, solid state is nice for how quick it is to turn on/off, which is good on those days I've got lots of meetings. Thanks for the input. 

How does it compare to the Lyr 2 regarding detail? 

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #7,772 of 9,071
At the moment and waiting for AD I have E07k/E09K + Fidelio X1, but that is PC setup ... I need amp for living room/tv. I tried fiio combo with hifiman 400i and didn't find treble very pleasing ... kind of grainy and strident. I hope the pairing with AD will be better ... but still - what abaout Valhalla 2 from schiit? Any impressions on that one?

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #7,773 of 9,071
^The Lyr 2 is an excellent match for the Alpha Dogs, HE560's and other planar dynamics..bass, spacious soundstage, rich, organic tone, extended, revealing, but not "etched" treble, excellent imaging, lots of headroom. The E17/E09k combination is not bad, a great level to obtain while saving to move up later. Overall it is darker, a little closed in, with a bit of grain across the spectrum, but to me a bit more audible in the treble.

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #7,775 of 9,071
trying to get custom cables made for the AD's however getting the connectors locally is proving difficult does anyone know if std 3 min male mini XLR will work with the AD at the cup end. if not does any one have a part number for that type of connector as if I order it from Mr Speaker the shipping is more than the parts

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #7,776 of 9,071
Using PC wins 8.1 > JRiver > Loki/Bifrost Uber > NuForce HA 200 into AD tested against Burson Conductor not really a major improvement for me. the Burson was smoother and more refined however, the Loki/Bifrost Uber > NuForce HA 200 for me was more involving and communicative

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #7,777 of 9,071
The Alpha Dogs do not use a mini XLR they use a 4-pin Hirose push on snap lock connector: http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Video-Connectors/7-PIN-EIAJ-Camera-Connectors/Hirose-Electric-USA-Inc/HR10A-7P-4P-73.xhtml

(I think 7mm is the correct size...)

Edit: the actual version used by Mr. Speakers is a Sam Woo SN-8-4p:  http://www.evalucon.com/products_circular.html#sn

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #7,778 of 9,071
Wow. A very favorable conclusion about the Alpha Dog on Headphonics today : "If I were forced to offer an overall winner to you, there is no question that the Alpha Dog absolutely, brutally emaciated the 11 other models in this report."

==> http://headfonics.com/2014/08/12-flagship-headphones-compared-the-totl-guide/15/

Congrats Dan!

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #7,779 of 9,071

Asgard 2 should come bundled with the AD. The two are a match made in heaven. I just can't perceive how music could sound better from a closed back headphone(or any headphone in general).

I have heard a lot of headphones too. HD800 isn't natural sounding enough to me unless paired with a tube amp and modded (although I do respect the massive soundstage and depth).

LCD line is too heavy and too expensive (also heard of driver failures and other problems, just a no no in my book.)

The only other option for me would be a high end Stax setup 
smile.gif

Wow. A very favorable conclusion about the Alpha Dog on Headphonics today : "If I were forced to offer an overall winner to you, there is no question that the Alpha Dog absolutely, brutally emaciated the 11 other models in this report."

==> http://headfonics.com/2014/08/12-flagship-headphones-compared-the-totl-guide/15/

Congrats Dan!

He came to the same conclusion I did. Stax setup versus Alpha Dog. Only the Stax setup costs thousands 

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #7,780 of 9,071
Me it is still not my conclusion, for example I prefer the HE-560 or even the HE-500, but these are open headphones.
But as closed headphones, IMO Alpha Dog are one of the best for sure.

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #7,781 of 9,071
  Me it is still not my conclusion, for example I prefer the HE-560 or even the HE-500, but these are open headphones.
But as closed headphones, IMO Alpha Dog are one of the best for sure.

Open headphones are superior in some ways, that is why I have my DT880 for gaming. But I have a fan turned on in my room and I honestly can't stand listening to open headphones with the fan on because it noticeably changes how I perceive the sound versus the closed Alphas

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #7,783 of 9,071

Open headphones are superior in some ways, that is why I have my DT880 for gaming. But I have a fan turned on in my room and I honestly can't stand listening to open headphones with the fan on because it noticeably changes how I perceive the sound versus the closed Alphas

That's how I understand it too. A closed headphone is better when you can't do otherwise.

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #7,784 of 9,071
Buy 1 kit “Doggie Treats”from website.
I can't use two dots both sides, because 4 dots have different sizes、heights.
That makes difference distance feelings comparing both sides.

Felt disc is not fit to early AD pad frame.
Mine AD is black frame and has a bigger hole.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osQuY3_mKSo

Only can install disks in pads~

Using one dot(same size) with two discs each side makes me love AD more~~

Does MrSpeakers sell a sheet of “Doggie Treats”???

Just want to cut by myself~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back