MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
May 22, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #7,126 of 9,071
  For anyone who loved the AD, what is your favorite iem w/ a similar sound signature? 

I can't find any IEM that is remotely close to a hi-end planar headphone like the AD or the LCD2 unless I EQ the heck out of the IEM.  All the IEMs I've tried have huge treble variations that need taming.  

The Sony XBA-4 is probably the closest in the bass for me.  I would go for the XBA-3 or XBA-30 now if I was choosing again.  All of them need a low output impedance amp to work well. 

May 22, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #7,127 of 9,071
  Scary, aren't they?

I still want an open set of planar cans, but I certainly don't need at this point.  I also expect to pair the AD's with the Ragnarok at some point this year, assuming it gets released...

I heard the Ragnarok and Alpha Dog at the SoCal Head-fi meet earlier this year at the Schiit booth. It was one of the motivating factors to buying the Alpha Dog :]

May 22, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #7,129 of 9,071
  My right channel sounds different than my left, I'm pretty sure I have them both sealed well. Is there any more tests I can do? Other than rub my fingers around the cup to see if they're not sealed?

I guess you could take off the pads to see if maybe the BMF dots have shifted, if you have those installed. 

The way I test for a good seal, whether on iems or over ears, is a little thump with my forefinger, without music on. If it sounds a little like a drum, you have a good seal. The one ear you know you have a good seal on should be a good test. Always works for me, including with the Alpha Dog when I had it. 

May 22, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #7,130 of 9,071

I guess you could take off the pads to see if maybe the BMF dots have shifted, if you have those installed. 

The way I test for a good seal, whether on iems or over ears, is a little thump with my forefinger, without music on. If it sounds a little like a drum, you have a good seal. The one ear you know you have a good seal on should be a good test. Always works for me, including with the Alpha Dog when I had it. 

It could just be the songs, i'll investigate further. It shouldn't be the dots, I do have 2 installed on each side and just got these yesterday so nothing would have moved.

May 22, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #7,131 of 9,071
  It could just be the songs, i'll investigate further. It shouldn't be the dots, I do have 2 installed on each side and just got these yesterday so nothing would have moved.

Should you find any issue PM and I'll send you postage to return it to check and repaired.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 22, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #7,133 of 9,071
Just got my balanced cables from Drew over at Moon Audio and hooked my dogs up to the Oppo HA-1 in balance mode and just FANTASTIC setup...  you just have to love the extra power you get when you go balanced   like nite and day difference...  

May 22, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #7,134 of 9,071

I polished them up a bit :)

May 22, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #7,135 of 9,071
BTW, new units ship with a foam wedge in the stand.  The wedge can be affixed to the top of the stand with double sided foam tape to add height and allow the cables to clear more comfortably.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 22, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #7,136 of 9,071
Once I get to hear either an LCD or AD, I'll provide my thoughts on them vs my Cardas IEMs. Decided to open them up and listen rather than try to sell.

I can't find any IEM that is remotely close to a hi-end planar headphone like the AD or the LCD2 unless I EQ the heck out of the IEM.  All the IEMs I've tried have huge treble variations that need taming.  

The Sony XBA-4 is probably the closest in the bass for me.  I would go for the XBA-3 or XBA-30 now if I was choosing again.  All of them need a low output impedance amp to work well. 

May 22, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #7,137 of 9,071

bump for this too, I like an IEM so i can sleep with easier.

May 22, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #7,138 of 9,071
There are great IEMs out there in all regards, but no IEM will ever give you that all-encompassing feeling of big cans simply because of the difference in how the sound is transmitted, just like how no matter how good the headphones are they aren't the same experience as having big tower speakers. Trying to find one that sounds like the other is an exercise in futility.

May 22, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #7,139 of 9,071
I want to join the party but I have the worst luck ever, lived in Vegas for to long I think, lol.  Plus side, Dan's been very responsive and easy to work with.

Should hopefully hear how they sound by next week, anxious, have a playlist created specifically for them of some specific favorites.  If they are as good as everyone says, might have to order the claret ones for home.  I'm going to need a second job soon... ugh

May 22, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #7,140 of 9,071
  There are great IEMs out there in all regards, but no IEM will ever give you that all-encompassing feeling of big cans simply because of the difference in how the sound is transmitted, just like how no matter how good the headphones are they aren't the same experience as having big tower speakers. Trying to find one that sounds like the other is an exercise in futility.

I had the Phonak Audeo 232 for a brief moment before it crap out, and I find that your statement to be true. The audeo just isnt as clear, sound stage isnt as wide and the sound seem very congested, but it is very comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back