MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Dec 25, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #4,696 of 9,071
Agreed. The bass decays a little slower and is more prominent on the MD, making it more immersive for those genres. That being said, the Alpha Dog does a great job with any genre you can throw at it.

Agreed!!

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #4,697 of 9,071
  Alright then, if I do get the Mad Dogs, will it work well with a portable AMP? They don't seem too big in the pictures so I wouldn't mind bringing them around some places. Would a Fiio E12/E17 work?

You can find an amp recommendation thread for the MD, just do a search. The e12 will have more power for the MD and will give better dynamics. 

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #4,698 of 9,071
I would still recommend giving the Md and AD some beefy desktop power. They are of the breed to noticeably improve with better, stronger, cleaner power.

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #4,699 of 9,071
Hmm I'll look at the E12 for now since it has good power. Last two questions, what's the difference between the regular 300$ version and the 399$ Balanced Mad Dogs with 4-pin XLR Cable? Do I need to get the 400$ one to use it with the Fiio 12, and if not, what exactly does it do? Sorry if it sounds silly or is a "newbie" question, this is my first pair of "high grade" head-phones so I'm a little unfamiliar with the terminology. And, how big are these headphones, would they even be practical in a portable sense? They don't look too huge to me but looks can be deceiving I suppose. I appreciate all the help so far as well! 

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #4,702 of 9,071
  Hmm I'll look at the E12 for now since it has good power. Last two questions, what's the difference between the regular 300$ version and the 399$ Balanced Mad Dogs with 4-pin XLR Cable? Do I need to get the 400$ one to use it with the Fiio 12, and if not, what exactly does it do? Sorry if it sounds silly or is a "newbie" question, this is my first pair of "high grade" head-phones so I'm a little unfamiliar with the terminology. And, how big are these headphones, would they even be practical in a portable sense? They don't look too huge to me but looks can be deceiving I suppose. I appreciate all the help so far as well! 

The Mad Dog is not huge, but not small neither.
I dont consider it's good for portable use (walking on streets, or use in the gym, etc), but to travel around in a backpack is acceptable.
About the balance Mad Dog, you will a balance amp to drive it. You can go for it, if you want to have future proof, the downside is that you may to spend more now, and need a cable adaptor to 1/4 or 1/8 jack.

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #4,703 of 9,071
I would still recommend giving the Md and AD some beefy desktop power. They are of the breed to noticeably improve with better, stronger, cleaner power.

100% agree.  Out of vintage amps the bass was basshead worthy. 

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #4,704 of 9,071

100% agree.  Out of vintage amps the bass was basshead worthy. 

+1...merry xmas O!! 
atsmile.gif

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #4,705 of 9,071
I love, LOVE the Alpha Dog, and it's gonna suck, badly to have to send them away. Oh, the pains of being lower class. :frowning2:

BTW, my review is coming along nicely, and it's overwhelmingly positive. No bias here, just my own taste of the truth to my ears.

Dec 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #4,707 of 9,071
@Formae

After a month of spending hours a day looking into this, this is what I have ended up purchasing.

Alpha Dogs
Sony MA900
E12
1/4" to 1/8" adapter
Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox
Essence STX sound card (had the sound card)

Many people on these boards will scoff at that list of equipment. However it is of my opinion that the delta between that list, and spending $4,000 more on portable and desktop upgrades yields an extremely small improvement in performance.

You have to remember most people here are hobbyists and enthusiasts. When I was a pro paintball player, I can remember spending hours talking about the quality of the aftermarket pneumatic upgrades I did. I threw away the $200, for the $400 upgrade, and went on and on about how it will help with my game. In the end I am sure it really didn't matter. I won and lost the same.

Same goes here. I am sure with either the setup I have above, or a vastly more expensive setup, the music will be equally enjoyable. 

To answer your previous question about balanced:

What balanced means, is the signal is sent down two separate wires reversed. What this does without going into two much detail, is allows interference the cable comes into contact with to be canceled out (provided both wires get the same amount of interference). This is popular for headphones when you need a long run, or microphones on any run.

I really can't see any reason why you would need balanced cables, so unless you just want them, I would not worry about it.

Dec 25, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #4,708 of 9,071
  @Formae

After a month of spending hours a day looking into this, this is what I have ended up purchasing.

Alpha Dogs
Sony MA900
E12
1/4" to 1/8" adapter
Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox

Many people on these boards will scoff at that list of equipment. However it is of my opinion that the delta between that list, and spending $4,000 more on portable and desktop upgrades yields an extremely small improvement in performance.

You have to remember most people here are hobbyists and enthusiasts. When I was a pro paintball player, I can remember spending hours talking about the quality of the aftermarket pneumatic upgrades I did. I threw away the $200, for the $400 upgrade, and went on and on about how it will help with my game. In the end I am sure it really didn't matter. I won and lost the same.

Same goes here. I am sure with either the setup I have above, or a vastly more expensive setup, the music will be equally enjoyable. 

To answer your previous question about balanced:

What balanced means, is the signal is sent down two separate wires reversed. What this does without going into two much detail, is allows interference the cable comes into contact with to be canceled out (provided both wires get the same amount of interference). This is popular for headphones when you need a long run, or microphones on any run.

I really can't see any reason why you would need balanced cables, so unless you just want them, I would not worry about it.

Thank you for the insight, I appreciate it! This might be because of you purchasing the Alpha Dogs instead of the Mad Dogs, but what is the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for? 

Dec 25, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #4,709 of 9,071
I don't think anybody who is a real enthusiast is going to scoff at your gear.  I have a lot of respect for people who don't feel the need for the best of the best gear.  They can enjoy what they have.  I just received the Emotiva Mini-X.  And yes, for $169 it competes well with my more expensive amps.  Musical enjoyment does not shift 10-fold based on a 10-fold shift in expense.  Right on Jeremy.  Anybody looking for a good way to drive these Alpha Dogs go for the Emotiva amp + 4-pin to banana adapter.  You won't regret it.  I have more bass with my tube amps but the Mini-X gives me a bit more soundstage width and transparency which helps with classical.  Don't get me wrong, I also like a tad bit of warmth with the Alpha for vocals and jazz.  Really fun how you can use different amps to get a nuanced presentation out of the Dog.  

Quote:
  @Formae

Alpha Dogs
Sony MA900
E12
1/4" to 1/8" adapter
Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox

Dec 25, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #4,710 of 9,071
  Thank you for the insight, I appreciate it! This might be because of you purchasing the Alpha Dogs instead of the Mad Dogs, but what is the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for? 

probably cuz the alpha dog cable has a 1/4" end but the sansa had 1/8" input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back