MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Aug 12, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #406 of 9,071
Quote:
How somebody defines being an audiophile is ultimately up to them alone. Just because the hobby rotates around gear doesn't mean that many (if not most) of us hobbyists are ultimately in it for the enjoyment of the music. Heck, if we were all going for ultimate resolution and accuracy we wouldn't have products like the LCD-2, and most of the tube-amp market would be gone in an instant.

True, if it was only about the gear the vast majority of us would be using the kids shoe money towards a STAX setup. I personally see myself as an audio enthusiast and music collector. I don't know, I just can't see myself having the mentality of an audiophile. After a couple of days contemplation I've just placed my pre order for a pair of AD's. I have a pair of UERM's being shipped in as well as a pair of brand spanking new Paradox's which should be here soon. For those interested I'll be comparing all three of those and posting some video impressions

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #407 of 9,071
Quote:
I'm curious. Who's keeping their Mad Dog and still getting the Alpha Dog? 

Me!!!!!!

Quote:
Moi.

I want to compare them, in light of my own personal tastes, and my 40+ years of audiophile equipment comparison experience.

Also, it's likely that they will each have their own specific uses (in terms of which music they are best for).

I expect that is why they are not "Mad Dog Version 4.0" but instead a new model.

Exactly.
Just like I did with the Mad Dogs against the stock T50RPs last year.
If the "voicing" is so different, I might just stick with both headphones... still need to do some cleaning here...

Quote:
All you guys realize that if the AD had been offered in all black there would probably be a plethora of posts from people complaining black was to gaudy or to boring. Seriously guys, Dan has posted what the color scheme is going to be and why he can't do multiple colors. I also doubt he's going to change his mind because he probably has already invested a sizable amount of bones into getting the AD's manufactured as is and I'm guessing production will soon be started if it hasn't already. He can't just walk out onto the floor and say stop the machines we're adding 2, 5, 10 or 50 new colors because people on head-fi demand it. Let everything sit until we can figure out how to retool production. Judging by all the activity on here I wouldn't be surprised if the orders he's received has been sizable and he's probably got enough problems double checking to make sure he can keep up. I doubt he's going to complicate things even further by trying to figure out how to accommodate a big mass of customer color orders from head-fiers. It comes down to this, do you guys want the AD for 599 or do you guys want the same AD headphone with color choices for 100, 150, or 200 bones more? That's what it comes down too. When you complicate the manufacturing process costs go up and in the end the consumer pays more. Personally, I say I'll take the color being offered and use the money I save towards another audio purchase. Whatever happened to all the head-fiers on these boards who would comment they didn't care what it looked like as long as it sounded fantastic?

Just my 2 cents.

@\MrSpeakers

Would you mind commenting on what audio gear you've been listening to the AD on and what would be a good rule of thumb involving how to avoid bad synergy, impedance mismatch etc etc please? I'm curious on your personal impressions concerning what gear you find will really make these headphones shine and considering a lot of the younger crowd makes up your customer base I think a little advice from you involving gear would be warranted and helpful.

Thanks
DF

I don't like the color, but I don't mind either... I mean, I have/had way weirder/ugly/etc. looking headphones before! LOL
As long as it sounds excellent, I pretty much don't care.
Anyway, that color is definitely welcome... right now I have Mad Dogs (black), Spider Moonlight (black/silver), Yamaha MT220 (black and silver), Denon D5000 Lawton modded (redwood burl), Monster N-Pulse (white), Ultrasone Signature DJ (white), Perfect Sound Dido (white), Sennheiser Momentum (brown) and possibly looking into getting the on-ear Blue Momentums :p (letting go of the PSBs -- red). So... variety FTW! :wink:

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #408 of 9,071
Quote:
How somebody defines being an audiophile is ultimately up to them alone. Just because the hobby rotates around gear doesn't mean that many (if not most) of us hobbyists are ultimately in it for the enjoyment of the music. Heck, if we were all going for ultimate resolution and accuracy we wouldn't have products like the LCD-2, and most of the tube-amp market would be gone in an instant.

Don't try to kid yourself. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #411 of 9,071
cant believe this, just spent my alphadogmonies on some fancy tubes....
this is THE hobby i swear,
u will never know what u end up with !!
deadhorse.gif

or is this just the beginning...
now to face the visa bill.
blink.gif

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #412 of 9,071
Look, the color is not really the problem... it's the uneven finish that I have a major gripe with.

But yea, I know, it's not the final product. We will see...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 12, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #413 of 9,071
Quote:
Maybe future #AlphaDogHeadphones will offer color options.?  
biggrin.gif
  Ivory or olive would be my picks.

+1 for those colors they would have to be a color that kept it mature looking. As much as I like bright red that would not be a good look for the branding. But I doubt it He already said less colors keeps cost down.

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #414 of 9,071
Quote:
Quote:
Look, the color is not really the problem... it's the uneven finish that I have a major gripe with.

But yea, I know, it's not the final product. We will see...

Was that supposed to be a response because there is no text? I would really be interested in your input, Dan.

Thanks...

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #417 of 9,071
Also the color he chose is an expression of him. Not an expression of us. Though black cherry is not my favorite color I respect the tastes of others. The vendor serves consumers with customer service but still has to keep his identity expressed in his product to solidify his MARK.

Reasons why I agree with the color and look he chose:

-It looks mature and the headphone needs to be taken seriously to maintain the branding image.
-It has a shinny polished look but is still low profile.
-It is making an apparent statement that it can compete with other headphones that have a similar look while maintaining its unique characteristics. 
-Though black sliders would seal the deal it keeps the cost down and production faster for the high demands. 
-It looks like a modd still instead of something that went into mass production for money. You know you are getting something someone put their TALENTS into which is pretty special.
-Plus he already has a black product. White and red people would say is a bite off of someone else like paradox.

Yeah paradox might look better to some. But to me I actually prefer the look of this modd plus its cheaper and I bet it sounds better.

my 100 cents

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #418 of 9,071
Quote:
Im pretty sure thats his response. 

If it is... then... *yawn*

I'm not the one asking for different colors. One color with a more respectable finish is all I 'm asking for... especially from a $600 price tag.

Yea, yea, I know... "be patient." I'm just mentioning it so it can be seen by those who are in charge. It's called "customer feedback." See you guys in 8 weeks...

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #420 of 9,071
Quote:
Also the color he chose is an expression of him. Not an expression of us. Though black cherry is not my favorite color I respect the tastes of others. The vendor serves consumers with customer service but still has to keep his identity expressed in his product to solidify his MARK.

Reasons why I agree with the color and look he chose:

-It looks mature and the headphone needs to be taken seriously to maintain the branding image.
-It has a shinny polished look but is still low profile.
-It is making an apparent statement that it can compete with other headphones that have a similar look while maintaining its unique characteristics. 
-Though black sliders would seal the deal it keeps the cost down and production faster for the high demands. 
-It looks like a modd still instead of something that went into mass production for money. You know you are getting something someone put their TALENTS into which is pretty special.
-Plus he already has a black product. White and red people would say is a bite off of someone else like paradox.

Yeah paradox might look better to some. But to me I actually prefer the look of this modd plus its cheaper and I bet it sounds better.

my 100 cents

I will say this for the last time...

THE COLOR IS NOT THE PROBLEM... IT'S THE UNEVEN FINISH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back