MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Aug 11, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #376 of 9,071
^^ Welcome...
size]

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #378 of 9,071
Quote:
I'm curious. Who's keeping their Mad Dog and still getting the Alpha Dog? 

I've got two MDs, so I'm only sending one off for the upgrade.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #379 of 9,071
Quote:
I'm curious. Who's keeping their Mad Dog and still getting the Alpha Dog? 

Moi.

I want to compare them, in light of my own personal tastes, and my 40+ years of audiophile equipment comparison experience.

Also, it's likely that they will each have their own specific uses (in terms of which music they are best for).

I expect that is why they are not "Mad Dog Version 4.0" but instead a new model.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #380 of 9,071
Quote:
I'm wondering how these are going to sound paired with a Woo... 

I was just thinging the same thing,but with my Taboo.

Any beta testers tried it with a tube amp??
Anyone,...??

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #381 of 9,071
I'm all for MrSpeakers making what he thinks is the best decision in coloring.

If anything though, maybe he can set up a poll to make a final decision based on a couple colors voted by us. Something like Black, Silver or White. I really don't mind what color it ends up being; I just don't want something too flashy! 
tongue_smile.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 11, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #382 of 9,071
Quote:
Yes, payment processes immediately. We will monitor the backlog to make sure we can fulfill orders in a reasonable time, at which point we will switch to a wait list, if that is needed. As we get closer to ship date I will post eta for shipments based on the week ordered.

Dan,
What about the people ,who are doing a upgrades
And,will you be able to use my existing balanced cable..{had it made by Brian at BTG Audio}--would love to keep it-if possible.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #383 of 9,071
Quote:

I can verify that the cups felt extremely durable, and resistant to hand-applied crush forces (sorry Dan
redface.gif
).

This.

Many impressions - most of which are from listening tests conducted in far more ideal conditions than my audition - have already been posted.  But as a long-time fan of the Mad Dogs, my shortened answer would simply be MUCH BETTER. 
eek.gif
  So much better it's not even funny.

He can hardly contain himself! 
biggrin.gif

Indeed! 
smile.gif

Doesn't it?  Except that - through a rather accidental discovery - we found out that the pairing above results in an rather significant and pleasing bloom in the mid-range, with the highs opening up so as to clearly not be dark any more.  It pushes the Mad Dogs clear out of any semblance of neutrality, but it was such a wonderful coloration I must say.

Just to be clear, this is not my impression.  I'm not saying I disagree (or agree).  But people did remark, after having crisscrossed the Headmasters room between the Abyss and the Alpha, that they favored the Alpha.  I'm not going to point out who, and I suspect that they will be posting shortly anyway.

Beyond agreeing with what Jude has said in the video, I don't have a lot to add in terms of detailed impressions.  However, I can say that in the limited amount of time that I had with it, I found no faults with it, save for the fact that the pairs I listened to were not under my ownership.  And I have a strong suspicion that I may have found my closed-back unicorn.

Sure, in fact, here are a few crappy pics of everything I saw/heard there.  There was some trouble with the lighting in the room all morning... and I have a crap camera... but here goes:

The unpainted demo unit featured at Headmasters/California Audio Show.

The unpainted demo unit featured at Headmasters/California Audio Show (alternate view).

Ear cup close-up showing previous "screw-settings" for adjusting bass response.

Dan "Mr. Speakers" Clark holding up a partially-printed ear cup.

A close-up of the partially-printed ear cup.

Another close-up of the partially-printed ear cup.

Yet another pic of the partially-printed ear cup, with an updated prototype in the rear.

The updated prototype coated with the metallic claret finish.

A close up of the updated prototype's ear cup - featuring the "set-screw" bass response adjuster.

Stay tuned everyone, I believe that HiFiGuy528 will be on site to take better photos, and shoot a video (possibly with an interview), in just a few hours from now.  And Bill-P has got MORE than a few gorgeous pics - as well as detailed impressions - going up soon.  Keep and eye out for their posts! 
smile.gif

Excellent Pics

Tnx

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #384 of 9,071
Upgrade info will come at the end of September.

People who have custom cables will get them back with their upgrade, removed as best we can. The cable termination info is posted a few pages back...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #385 of 9,071
Quote:
I'm all for MrSpeakers making what he thinks is the best decision in coloring.

If anything though, maybe he can set up a poll to make a final decision based on a couple colors voted by us. Something like Black, Silver or White. I really don't mind what color it ends up being; I just don't want something too flashy! 
tongue_smile.gif

Agreed... a vote on color would be sweet. Something similar to what James did with the Fiio E12 DIY.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #386 of 9,071
Quote:

Agreed... a vote on color would be sweet. Something similar to what James did with the Fiio E12 DIY.

Glossy Black please 
L3000.gif
 The current color gives off the impression of a wanna-be TH900 IMO.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #387 of 9,071
Quote:
I say "meh" to the bassheads and move on towards reaching out to an audience who appreciates a more true-to-the-sound kind of sound. I'm not a basshead, never was, and I don't understand why manufacturers feel the need to cater to them.

I'm not a basshead either..,but .I do appreciate good quality bass.... maybe it's a good idea,because Dan needs to address a younger audience,and some of those people love their bass
With both my stepsons...their rooms are in constant vibration mode,and loud too.
To each his own.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #388 of 9,071
Quote:

I will vouch that I'm the guy with no credibility who will run the AD off a vintage amp with speaker taps!! 

Matt--does this mean ,your selling all  your gear..
Can I get one of those beautiful vintage amps ,you have??

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #389 of 9,071
MIKE....i see "ALPHADOGs" in your tagline 
u came out  30pages late, and stormed AHEAD...!!!
beerchug.gif

=========

i kinda like the unfinished offwhitecolor,  gonna take sandpaper n .........
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #390 of 9,071
All you guys realize that if the AD had been offered in all black there would probably be a plethora of posts from people complaining black was to gaudy or to boring. Seriously guys, Dan has posted what the color scheme is going to be and why he can't do multiple colors. I also doubt he's going to change his mind because he probably has already invested a sizable amount of bones into getting the AD's manufactured as is and I'm guessing production will soon be started if it hasn't already. He can't just walk out onto the floor and say stop the machines we're adding 2, 5, 10 or 50 new colors because people on head-fi demand it. Let everything sit until we can figure out how to retool production. Judging by all the activity on here I wouldn't be surprised if the orders he's received has been sizable and he's probably got enough problems double checking to make sure he can keep up. I doubt he's going to complicate things even further by trying to figure out how to accommodate a big mass of customer color orders from head-fiers. It comes down to this, do you guys want the AD for 599 or do you guys want the same AD headphone with color choices for 100, 150, or 200 bones more? That's what it comes down too. When you complicate the manufacturing process costs go up and in the end the consumer pays more. Personally, I say I'll take the color being offered and use the money I save towards another audio purchase. Whatever happened to all the head-fiers on these boards who would comment they didn't care what it looked like as long as it sounded fantastic?

Just my 2 cents.

@\MrSpeakers

Would you mind commenting on what audio gear you've been listening to the AD on and what would be a good rule of thumb involving how to avoid bad synergy, impedance mismatch etc etc please? I'm curious on your personal impressions concerning what gear you find will really make these headphones shine and considering a lot of the younger crowd makes up your customer base I think a little advice from you involving gear would be warranted and helpful.

Thanks
DF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back