MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Aug 11, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #316 of 9,071
Quote:
Also, for those of us that heard the beta units - the near final version is "better". Mostly the "better" is an added clarity across the range.

And for the record - I also fell in love with the ADs, and will follow the MD upgrade path.

In all honesty, I'm hoping v1.0 of the AD is the final version of the AD, at least for a long while, unlike a similar product. :wink: Though I would rather pay a small price for improved tweaks vs. paying for a whole new headphone only to see minor returns better suited for a cheaper tweak on the existing product...

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #317 of 9,071
In all honesty, I'm hoping v1.0 of the AD is the final version of the AD, at least for a long while, unlike a similar product. :wink: Though I would rather pay a small price for improved tweaks vs. paying for a whole new headphone only to see minor returns better suited for a cheaper tweak on the existing product...

I agree, i'm hoping this is the best version for at least a year or two, it would be annoying if in 6 months were all hyped up about yet another revision.

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #318 of 9,071
I think I need to stop coming on here.
I visited this forum with some vmoda lp2 and a pair of senn momentum's.
I sold both of these and got a pair of lcd2s.
This left me thinking. Damn, now I need some other headphones for the commute.
So I bought some final audio heaven iv's.
Now I see this and I have almost convinced myself I should use the finals for at work and buy these for the commute....
Gah I need a better paying job.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #319 of 9,071
The fact that these are 3D printed basically 'means' that these will undergo a thousand revisions and improvements.  Someone with a 3D printer and scanner will digitize the design of these and start from there, making a single cable version and probably another with various internally routed ports to tune the driver to a pure flat response.  Lighter, stiffer, prettier, you name it.  I personally will wait it out a bit and see how things develop into V2, V3, ...

I do agree there should definitely be an unpainted white option and simple silver, aluminum, stainless, black, copper color options on the slider.

This is essentially a proof of concept which validates the role of 3D printing for headphones.  Assuming it is profitable we will see much more of this moving forward. I suspect you will see cad files online shortly allowing you to print your own.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #320 of 9,071
I got my eye on these, but will see how it plays out. I'll make a decision about it next year, as I think I'm good with my current gear. For now...

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #321 of 9,071
I agree, i'm hoping this is the best version for at least a year or two, it would be annoying if in 6 months were all hyped up about yet another revision.

x3. We won't be tweaking the sound on this.

:)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #323 of 9,071
x3. We won't be tweaking the sound on this.

:)

There you go, it looks like he's very confident he's nailed the Alpha Dogs from the get go, certainly inspires confidence.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #324 of 9,071
@Matt, do you have a short AD vs HE-4 comparison to throw in here?
When I first bought the MDs, I was in the game for a sort of closed back HE-4 (clean sound to compliment the lush/wet HE-500) but got a close LCD-like sound instead which took me quite some time to appreciate.
The AD seem to fit that bill.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #325 of 9,071
I cannot believe I'm toying with the idea of ordering the Alpha Dog now so I don't have to wait to upgrade my Mad Dog. I would have never even considered ordering a $600 headphone before... I wonder how long till we can get on the upgrade list. 

I need some time away from headfi. Seriously. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #326 of 9,071
Quote:
He's selling the HE-4! That tells us something :)

Does it?  He sells headphones nearly every month.  
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #328 of 9,071
With respect to the Mad Dog upgrade policy, I wonder if we'll see an influx of "B" stock Mad Dogs available from Dan?  There would still be a lot of interest in those headphones by others who can't quite step up to a $600 headphone.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #329 of 9,071
Quote:

Shoot, the other can's I was looking at are around $1500.  I'm hoping they are even close to the bargain I'm looking for at $600.  I can get a Mjolnir and still save money!

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #330 of 9,071
There you go, it looks like he's very confident he's nailed the Alpha Dogs from the get go, certainly inspires confidence.

groovyd's post seems to be about build quality rather than sound revisions. Don't see the distinction myself. Conventional manufacturing also produces good and bad durability in headphones. MrS has already said the AD has been tested.

@ imackler, stay away from the high end forum :wink: :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back