MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Aug 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #331 of 9,071
I think I need to stop coming on here.
I visited this forum with some vmoda lp2 and a pair of senn momentum's.
I sold both of these and got a pair of lcd2s.
This left me thinking. Damn, now I need some other headphones for the commute.
So I bought some final audio heaven iv's.
Now I see this and I have almost convinced myself I should use the finals for at work and buy these for the commute....
Gah I need a better paying job.

i feel you,,
i just bought a used grado 325is and a ue6000 to use when i am travelng
now with this i want it to use alpha dog for travel instead and use
the 325is at work and ue6000 when taking a flight

i wish my alpha will come soon

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #332 of 9,071
Quote:
groovyd's post seems to be about build quality rather than sound revisions. Don't see the distinction myself. Conventional manufacturing also produces good and bad durability in headphones. MrS has already said the AD has been tested.

@ imackler, stay away from the high end forum
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Silly, you're allready there
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #333 of 9,071
I am surely interested in these headphones. However, I really hope Dan chooses a different cup color or at least adds options for different colors. IMO the color on the website looks pretty bad, almost like a chopped version of the TH 900. I would love to have a bluish cup color, something like the HE-400. Regardless of color, I am still most likely going to get these.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #334 of 9,071
I'm curious how long it takes to print a complete cup, and also whether there is any finishing/polishing that must be done to the cups prior to painting. One of the issues with 3D printing is the time it takes to produce each unit. Great for prototypes, not so good for mass produced items. I suppose it's possible that there could be less post-processing to do than with a more conventional CNC-milled wooden or Delrin cup, or even injection molding, so maybe there's a trade-off point in terms of production efficiency? According to folks like Cory Doctorow, 3D printing allows the manufacturing to move from huge, centralized manufacturing plants to small, more customized or even personal home manufacturing devices. Eventually, buying a product could mean just downloading the files to your home printer and pushing "start". Just simple products at first, but eventually more and more complex items. Fascinating stuff!

Can't wait for the next SoCal meet and hopefully a chance to hear them!!

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #335 of 9,071
Me and a couple other people I've talked to honestly feel these are a step back from the Mad Dogs in terms of aesthetics.  You can get the dark red cups to work, but the headband and/or headband sliders need to change.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #336 of 9,071
I agree with billy bob there. I haven't seen the maker bot in action, but other plastic 3d printers I know take a long time to print anything. It would take probably half a day or a day just to print one of those cups, I'm guessing, not to mention post-processing of the cups after they're finished printing. The good thing will be that you can just let the machine do its thing as you work on other parts of the headphone. Props to mr. speakers for using innovative technology.

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #337 of 9,071
I was able to hear these at the Headmasters show yesterday. If nothing else...

I'm trading in my Mad Dogs for Alpha Dogs the moment they are available. These set a new standard for closed headphones under $1000.

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #338 of 9,071
With respect to the Mad Dog upgrade policy, I wonder if we'll see an influx of "B" stock Mad Dogs available from Dan?  There would still be a lot of interest in those headphones by others who can't quite step up to a $600 headphone.

The upgrade returns your phone upgraded, it's not a swap. Otherwise we would be up to our eyeballs in b stock. :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 11, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #340 of 9,071
According to image at https://www.mrspeakers.com/MrSpeakers-Mad-Dog-Fostex-T50RP-Headphones/Mrspeakers-Alpha-dog-Alpha-Pads-Balanced-TRS these are cabled to both cups.

I see this as a good thing since it allows you to buy singled ended and go balanced later, if desired.

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #341 of 9,071
I am sorry if I am being a pain asking something that is already answered. I would love to hear from the meet goers and beta testers more about the soundstage, imaging and air. 

I know Jude mentioned they sound open for a closed can. 

How do they compare to some midfi, lowfi champs. Like the AKG Kseries, AT 900/700, Beyer DTXX0, HiFiman 400/500, Sens HD5/6 series? Even closed examples like Beyer 770, Akg 550, and Denon DX000. 

Depending on the music source my MadDogs can have some great air and imaging, but not even close to my CALs and my DT990 are a whole nother step above that. 

Thanks so much for all your opinions and reviews so far. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #342 of 9,071
Quote:
Me and a couple other people I've talked to honestly feel these are a step back from the Mad Dogs in terms of aesthetics.  You can get the dark red cups to work, but the headband and/or headband sliders need to change.

If you care about those things, get a Vmoda or Denon or whatever.

Dan has said before that he designs for audio quality.

The Mad Dogs and Alpha Dogs are modified T50RP, the headband and sliders are provided by Fostex as they are.  Feel free to send them to someone to have them painted.

PS  Having only one color gives a product an identity.   The Alpha Dogs will be immediately identifiable by the color.   That makes sense for marketing.

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #345 of 9,071
Quote:
If you care about those things, get a Vmoda or Denon or whatever.

Dan has said before that he designs for audio quality.

The Mad Dogs and Alpha Dogs are modified T50RP, the headband and sliders are provided by Fostex as they are.  Feel free to send them to someone to have them painted.

PS  Having only one color gives a product an identity.   The Alpha Dogs will be immediately identifiable by the color.   That makes sense for marketing.

x5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back