MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Aug 10, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #287 of 9,071
Quote:
Maybe I don't know what a basshead is then. I was under the impression that bassheads want tons of bass and that's pretty much it. Why we're saying the Alpha Dog is not a basshead headphone when clearly *pun intended* the Alpha Dog is tuned to sound clear and neutral is really puzzling to me with that definition. Alpha Dog is not a basshead headphone; well duh, of course it's not. Why would one think it is?

Because many people have the false notion that the MD was somehow a basshead can. I'm guessing it had to do with the fact that they are highly recommended headphone (even to those that want "Beats bass") and the fact that they are closed. Many people associate closed = bassy. This is obviously not the case, but it is just something that is commonly thought. One of the most common questions asked in the MD thread is: "Do these have BASS?" Many people are curious if the AD has enough bass quantity as well. The simple answer is: Not enough for a basshead. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #288 of 9,071
Just heard these at the California Audio Show.  I doubt there's anything as good near $600.  I am very impressed with these.

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #289 of 9,071
Quote:
The more I look at this color, the more I dislike. I'm sorry, but I would prefer a black or white finish. It's just my opinion and it will be the last time I say so. I don't want to make a big deal about it and end up getting on anyone's nerves.

Cheers

In real life, the color actually looks... imo, quite ugly. Although, for those that like the sound, that won't stop them.
Quote:
Just heard these at the California Audio Show.  I doubt there's anything as good near $600.  I am very impressed with these.

I heard them too...I think I met you too...

I agree, that it's a really good headphone for $600. There really isn't much like it in that price range. Sadly, though, it clashes with my music. It's a bit too fast, which makes a bulk of my music sound sibilant and unlistenable. I won't be changing my library for a headphone, so I'll be picking the TH900 instead. 

And strangely, imo the TH900 looks worse in RL too 
size]
. The photography makes them looks so much...classier

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #290 of 9,071
Quote:
In real life, the color actually looks... imo, quite ugly. Although, for those that like the sound, that won't stop them.
I heard them too...I think I met you too...

I agree, that it's a really good headphone for $600. There really isn't much like it in that price range. Sadly, though, it clashes with my music. It's a bit too fast, which makes a bulk of my music sound sibilant and unlistenable. I won't be changing my library for a headphone, so I'll be picking the TH900 instead. 

And strangely, imo the TH900 looks worse in RL too 
size]
. The photography makes them looks so much...classier

eek.gif
 lies...

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #291 of 9,071
Because many people have the false notion that the MD was somehow a basshead can. I'm guessing it had to do with the fact that they are highly recommended headphone (even to those that want "Beats bass") and the fact that they are closed. Many people associate closed = bassy. This is obviously not the case, but it is just something that is commonly thought. One of the most common questions asked in the MD thread is: "Do these have BASS?" Many people are curious if the AD has enough bass quantity as well. The simple answer is: Not enough for a basshead. 

Does the AD have more or less bass than the current MDs? And if its less bass, how affective is the bass tuning screw in terms of quality?

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #295 of 9,071
Are the cables detachable? If so, what pins do they use?

Yes, they are. I think they're the same as those on the balanced MD's but using one per side. It is a 4 pin connector though not an ibasso nor the rsa/alo hirose. I believe Dan uses 2 (out of the 4) pins per side only and a different pair is used on each side as he mentioned that if you swap the connectors, you will not hear any sound.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #296 of 9,071
Quote:

So better than the he-500?
I have never heard the mad dog so I am curious to know if either of them have more bass quantity than the He-500 being that the alpha have less than the mad dog.
That is one thing that isnt spoken much on in relation to other headphones. Flat bass yes but no real comparisons other than Greed mentioning them next to the mad dogs.

This is one bandwagon I want to jump on.

Please forgive my ignorance but what would be the sonic differences if any between the 1/4 inch and balanced cables. 
They go for the same price on the alpha so its gotta be the same wiring. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #297 of 9,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Please forgive my ignorance but what would be the sonic differences if any between the 1/4 inch and balanced cables. 
They go for the same price on the alpha so its gotta be the same wiring. 

Balanced cables are for balanced amps that (simplified explanation) have everything duplicated and separated for left and right sides.  If you don't have a balanced amp, you don't need a balanced cable.

1/4 inch is the size of plug used for headphones on "stereo receivers" and some desktop headphone amps.

iPods, iPads, etc and portable headphone amps use a smaller size plug ( 3/8 inch IIRC ), and a lot of equipment provides adaptors for the size they do not use.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #299 of 9,071
You can always have a new cable made. I plan on doing that myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back