MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #1,951 of 2,583
They do open up pretty nicely. I have noticed big differences to the bass so far. It doesnt have the bass impact of the LCD-x but it has a nice base. It also doesnt have the LCD-X sparkling treble so far which is surprising because I though the Xs were supposed to be rolled off. I am using the black pads so far.

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #1,952 of 2,583
Maybe I'm in the minority but running with no pads sound the best, then maybe the black. No pads has the perfect balance of sparkle without every being sibilant. This is obviously after you've burned them in either driver or brain wise. When I first received them, the jury was out bigtime for me but after some quality burn in and head-time, the bass most definitely tightens up, is even more punchy and the treble just shines. I've always thought the mids were spot on so that never changed for me at least.

This is one fine headphone and competes and even bests (while staying toe to toe) with the LCD2-C and even the Atticus, even though the Atticus is a closed back. I gotta say, for a closed back, the Atticus has a really nice soundstage and may be even better then the AFO. The AFO is quite "polite" and narrow but I have no complaints because it does so many other things just right. Love it.

Aug 4, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #1,953 of 2,583
I have both the LCD2Cs and the AFOs.

I'm a big Audeze fan - I bought the iSine10s which got me into to this headphone thing in the first place and I absolutely loved the sound of them through the lightning cable via an iPhone - through the lightning cable the iSines are really still right up there in all-round quality sound.

In spite of wanting to love the LCD2Cs, in my humble opinion, the AFOs are a superior headphone to the LCD2Cs in almost every way. Comfort, treble, mids (by a country mile) and even bass.

Totally in agreement with Koover above: no pads, which allows for a fantastic top end whilst still delivering all the warmth in the mids and bass. I have them driven by a Cayin C5 (just £100) which I'll upgrade to a Lyr3 soon. The AFOs are so warm in the mids and bass (I'm a bass head), that for the first time with any headphone, I have the bass switch on the C5 switched off, and I don't even tamper with EQ to improve the low end.

I also found that the AFOs improve over time and still seem to...

I can see that some people might prefer the punchier, relatively more neutral aspect of the LCD2Cs and dislike the saccharin qualities of the AFOs and fair enough, but I listen to a lot of electronic synthesised music which is bass-hungry and the AFOs are simply phosphorescent in comparison.

YMMV of course...

Aug 4, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #1,954 of 2,583
At first I found these headphones extremely warm and congested especially coming from the AFC. I've got about 80 hours on them now and the treble is less hot now such that I can take out the inserts for most music. I strongly prefer using no inserts on the AFOs, but this was too fatiguing before about 60 hours for me.

These are still a "fun" tuned headphone that leans towards a semi-open isolation. They are actually even more isolating than the Emu-Teaks, likely due to the amazing fit of the ear pads on the AFOs. For me this is great for a lot of music and I'm running the AC across the room and it doesn't interfere with the music. That said I prefer the AFC, HD6XX, or even the Emu-Teak for classical or certain acoustic music that I want to sound large and open. I don't think these will ever feel as open as a truly open headphone.

I would say that the longer I listen to these the better they sound. But I can't make any comments regarding brain vs. actual burn in.

Aug 4, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #1,955 of 2,583
AFO became very open after I gave it EQ. You may not believe, but the soundstage of EQed AFO is on par with Hifiman Ananda when I A/Bed them directly. What I believe is that it is Dan's warm tuning which constitutes rather small perceived soundstage, not its inherent physical character. It means that it can be overcame or widened by lifting some FR in mids. EQ made its sound coming from front and rear as well (before eq, it was somewhat hard left or right.)

Fortunately, EQ eradicated my upgraditis, and I don't write and read on head-fi as many times anymore. I am going into a long hiatus, probably until I hear some exciting new offerings from mrspeakers or focal.

upload_2018-8-4_14-54-0.png

Aug 4, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #1,956 of 2,583
Maybe I'm in the minority but running with no pads sound the best, then maybe the black. No pads has the perfect balance of sparkle without every being sibilant. This is obviously after you've burned them in either driver or brain wise. When I first received them, the jury was out bigtime for me but after some quality burn in and head-time, the bass most definitely tightens up, is even more punchy and the treble just shines. I've always thought the mids were spot on so that never changed for me at least.

This is one fine headphone and competes and even bests (while staying toe to toe) with the LCD2-C and even the Atticus, even though the Atticus is a closed back. I gotta say, for a closed back, the Atticus has a really nice soundstage and may be even better then the AFO. The AFO is quite "polite" and narrow but I have no complaints because it does so many other things just right. Love it.

No filter club here reporting in. I'll back you up that the sound stage for the Atticus is noticeably wider than the AFO and HD650. I was pleasantly surprised by this.

Seriously miss these headphones. The Ash and Baccoto wood are really making it hard for me to keep my wallet closed.

Aug 5, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #1,957 of 2,583
I prefer the AFO without any inserts as well. However, I put in the black ones for protection against dust and hair.

Aug 5, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #1,958 of 2,583
Would someone do me a favor and tell me the size of the cup? I sold a pair at fleabay, and the buyer (who suspiciously has zero feedback) claims that the headphones do not fit his ears' size.

Aug 5, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #1,959 of 2,583
Would someone do me a favor and tell me the size of the cup? I sold a pair at fleabay, and the buyer (who suspiciously has zero feedback) claims that the headphones do not fit his ears' size.

The ear opening is 8 x 4.5 cm at the widest points.

Aug 6, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #1,962 of 2,583
Will I lose a lot, if I buy Magni 3 instead of Vali 2? All comparisons are welcome, thanks!
The Magni is a fine amp, but I didn't enjoy it paired with the AFO. It felt like like a hammer hitting me over the head. Powerful, sure, but lacking nuance and realism.

It was a much better pairing with the 650s.

Regardless, I prefer the Vali 2 (with upgraded tube) for both the 650 and the AFO.

I sold my Magni to a friend who kept it for about a week before selling it himself.

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #1,963 of 2,583
Will I lose a lot, if I buy Magni 3 instead of Vali 2? All comparisons are welcome, thanks!
The Vali 2 is the best value amp to pair with the AFO. They have a pretty good synergy, producing a lovely, inviting sound

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #1,964 of 2,583
I maybe can get Vali2 or Magni3 used. But which one depends on what the seller decides. I will take what he offers basically. And I think both are better than straight from PC motherboard or some other low lever source.

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #1,965 of 2,583
The Magni 3 is a great amp for almost any headphone and it is miles ahead of most PC MB. You won't go wrong if you choose it as your amp, in fact I think is more versatile than the Vali 2 in terms of headphone pairings and I'd recommended as a first desktop amp on a budget. However, the synergy between the Vali 2 and the AFO is superior to that of the Magni 3, and for that particular case I'd choose the Vali.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back