MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #1,921 of 2,583
Hey Head-Fiers! We have a limited number of refurbished units for $620. Offer valid only until inventory sold.

These carry full warranty and have fresh ear pads. These were returns we've accumulated since launch but not resold.

https://www.mrspeakers.com/shop/headphones/b-stock.html

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 24, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #1,922 of 2,583
Jul 24, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #1,923 of 2,583
That's a good deal I'll tell my friend he's looking for a pair..

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #1,924 of 2,583
One person cancelled so there's one Open still available. It's setup for 1/4" but if you prefer XLR email us after you order...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 26, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #1,925 of 2,583
Traded my HD800 w/SDR for AFO. Should arrive in the next few weeks. Im excited :) I have always used sennheiser hp-s (HD202, HD595, HD600, HD700, HD800), but wanted to try something different. I enjoyed HD800-s the most, but since I listen more small bands lately and not so much orchestra etc, then HD800-s huge soundstage made it all quite disconnected.I will use AFO with mimby&vali2, when I get my gumby/MJ2 stack sold (need to downgrade with dac and amp). Sometimes I think about Mojo vs Mimby/Vali2 too, but I don't know. Brightness of HD800 never disturbed me, even without SDR mod, so I should be fine without filters installed?

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #1,926 of 2,583
Hi

Vali 2 is a great pairing with the AFO, I don't know how it pairs with the Mojo. For filters, even without them, the AFO is not brighter than the HD800, so you can give it a try. One of the great things about the filters is that you can find what you like most, and you can even change them based on the music type and even you mood.
Traded my HD800 w/SDR for AFO. Should arrive in the next few weeks. Im excited :) I have always used sennheiser hp-s (HD202, HD595, HD600, HD700, HD800), but wanted to try something different. I enjoyed HD800-s the most, but since I listen more small bands lately and not so much orchestra etc, then HD800-s huge soundstage made it all quite disconnected.I will use AFO with mimby&vali2, when I get my gumby/MJ2 stack sold (need to downgrade with dac and amp). Sometimes I think about Mojo vs Mimby/Vali2 too, but I don't know. Brightness of HD800 never disturbed me, even without SDR mod, so I should be fine without filters installed?

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #1,927 of 2,583
Hi

Vali 2 is a great pairing with the AFO, I don't know how it pairs with the Mojo. For filters, even without them, the AFO is not brighter than the HD800, so you can give it a try. One of the great things about the filters is that you can find what you like most, and you can even change them based on the music type and even you mood.

If AFO is not brighter than HD800, then no filter it is :grinning: But yeah, it is nice to have option to change it, if there is a need.

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #1,928 of 2,583
It depends on how you want your sound, for instance, with no filters you get a bit more of soundstage and more air for your sound. I find it very enjoyable for classical and jazz. When you switch to the one-notch filter, you get a tuned down trebble that makes the bass feel more emphasized, something I found very good for latin music.

Just don't forget to burn in for about 100 hours (according to MrSpeakers)m though I found after 50 hours it was ready.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #1,929 of 2,583
I just got my AFO burned in for around 100 hours, I have to say at this price its absolutely a steal. These headphones are silky smooth. However now i need to get a new amp since my dac magic plus headphone out is pathetic and requires 90% volume. What amp would you guys recommend? I've been looking at the Massdrop Liquid carbon x but the internals don't look convincing at all, which brought me to Matrix HPA 3b. My budget is below $400 and prefer balanced input + output.

Jul 27, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #1,930 of 2,583
I just got my AFO burned in for around 100 hours, I have to say at this price its absolutely a steal. These headphones are silky smooth. However now i need to get a new amp since my dac magic plus headphone out is pathetic and requires 90% volume. What amp would you guys recommend? I've been looking at the Massdrop Liquid carbon x but the internals don't look convincing at all, which brought me to Matrix HPA 3b. My budget is below $400 and prefer balanced input + output.
Forget balanced.

Vali 2 or a used Lyr 3 at that price point. No question.

Jul 27, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #1,931 of 2,583
In addition to the Lyr 3 and the Vali 2, I'd also consider the Massdrop CTH, which is recommended by @mrspeakers himself. Also, if you find a Lyr 2, it is a great option. The AFO loves tubes.

Jul 27, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #1,932 of 2,583
In addition to the Lyr 3 and the Vali 2, I'd also consider the Massdrop CTH, which is recommended by @mrspeakers himself. Also, if you find a Lyr 2, it is a great option. The AFO loves tubes.
CTH is a fine amp and beats the Vali 2 with something like the HD650.

With the AFO it's a draw at best, and the Vali is significantly cheaper. I think there are new b-stock units available at the moment.

Spend about $30 on a good tube and you're set.

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #1,933 of 2,583

I have the original Cavalli Liquid Carbon and it's wonderful with the Aeon Flow Open. I believe that the Massdrop version is basically the same amp in a different chassis.

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #1,934 of 2,583
I have the original Cavalli Liquid Carbon and it's wonderful with the Aeon Flow Open. I believe that the Massdrop version is basically the same amp in a different chassis.

DSC_0064-2.jpg.c356f0ea1fc583510ffe4bd09c1aada0.jpg
didn't the original feature linear power supply? , the massdrop one seems to use a cheap chinese smps, and have cheap capacitors + and xlr connectors. The lack of heatsink also worries me since these amps run at class A

Jul 27, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #1,935 of 2,583
didn't the original feature linear power supply? , the massdrop one seems to use a cheap chinese smps, and have cheap capacitors + and xlr connectors. The lack of heatsink also worries me since these amps run at class A

I honestly don't know, but it does have an internal power supply since the power cable is connected to the amp itself. The original Liquid Carbon is quite small (a lot smaller than the Massdrop version) so it's possible that it has a built-in switching power supply to save space. I guess with the Massdrop version you could try a 3rd party linear power supply with the same voltage and current capability and see if it makes a difference. My Liquid Carbon gets warm to the touch, but it's not hot.

I can't speak for the components that are used inside - I don't open up my amps, I just listen to them and enjoy. I know from the discussions about the upcoming Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum that Alex Cavalli is involved with choosing and approving which components go into the finished amp - hopefully he does the same for the Massdrop version.

Regarding the connectors I have the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid and to me the switches and headphone jack don't feel as 'good' or 'solid' as on the Liquid Carbon - admittedly at less than half the price. They work well though, and I didn't notice anything about the RCA connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back